Can Microsoft Windows 8 Tablets Really Make a Dent in Apple iPad Sales? Discussion

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Can Microsoft Windows 8 Tablets Really Make a Dent in Apple iPad Sales? Discussion

Microsoft hopes to turn the momentum against the Apple iPad by offering a version of its upcoming Windows 8 operating system that will run on tablets. The software giant from Redmond will be waging an uphill battle, though, as many consumers have already settled on the iPad as their tablet of choice. Will Windows 8 really manage to make much of a dent against the iPad?

Read the full content of this Article: Can Microsoft Windows 8 Tablets Really Make a Dent in Apple iPad Sales?

Related Articles:

Moving 'up' from iPAQ

Default Re: Can Microsoft Windows 8 Tablets Really Make a Dent in Apple iPad Sales? Discussion

Michael,
    It may not be as big an uphill battle as one would think. Given the right price and capability, there is a huge potential to steal sales away from the iSystem. The HP Touchpad demonstrated that.

The major issue that Apple has yet to address is one of capability. The iPad is great for browsing non-flash or 'mobile' websites, watching movies, reading the paper, a book, or texting/emailing, but besides it being fashionable, do we really need to spend $700 to do that?

A TabletPC can do all those things, but up to this point, not as smoothly. But what a Windows TabletPC can also do is run productivity software, databases, and update work documents. The single biggest holdup to a wide scale adoption of the TabletPC is cost.

In an age of $199 Kindle Fires, $400 Android tablets, and $700 iPads, a $900 TabletPC is still out of the range of contention.

To add to the point, I know of 3 people that have iPads that sit unused that they received as gifts. I also know 2 people that bought (1) Kindle and another bought (1) Android tablet that are not happy - they wanted to match what I do with my Q550 without spending the money for a Q550 and it isn't working out for them. And then I have one iPad owner friend that swears it is the greatest thing to ever happen since the smartphone; she uses it only for email and facebook.

If someone told you that it would cost $700 to access email and facebook what would you say?

So now let me ask, if having access to email and facebook is worth $700, how much is the value for having access to corporate email, sharepoint servers, and office applications? If that would be, say, worth $400, then a $900 TabletPC is actually a great value. If it is not worth it to you, then the iPad is a better machine.

It is all a matter of perspective.
    Last edited by dceggert; 01-05-2012 at 11:24 AM.
    regards,

Dan
    Doing the device shuffle again:
    *New* ThinkPad i7 Helix pressed into daily service as of 4-Aug-2014 - phenomenal cosmic power?
    HP Elitepad 1000 - my former main device - do I keep this or my V8P as my sidekick now
    Dell Venue 8 Pro - my ultra mobile device (I cannot believe where I can stick this thing)

Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Re: Can Microsoft Windows 8 Tablets Really Make a Dent in Apple iPad Sales? Discussion

I think if Microsoft and their hardware partners can make a sufficient case that you are really getting a two-for-one deal, units will sell. Think about it: you spend 600 on an IPad/Android tablet and another 500-700 on a personal pc, totaling out at 1100-1300 bucks. I'm willing to spend 1100 to 1300 on ONE powerful computer that I can use in a tablet or a laptop computing experience and allows for comparable Wacom performance with the digitizer pen. Really I'm getting 3 devices in one for less than $3K. Good deal in my opinion.
    Significant app development is a must, but really only in the gaming/social media categories. I don't need productivity, multimedia, or utility apps really-- that's the whole point of having a Windows 7/8 tablet.
    I would say what really needs to happen is better battery tech and smaller/slimmer chargers and the better touch-friendliness, which is the whole point of Win8, so that's covered.
    I don't think Microsoft will find it hard to capture the market really.

Pen Pal - Newbie

The variety of tablets going into the market inevitably make a dent in iPad sales, but as far as I'm concerned they're just cheaper (sometimes more expensive) knock-offs boasting 'more features' that most consumers aren't interested in.

TabletPC's are great for power users who want all the features their laptop has in a smaller form factor. The iPad simplified all that and created a device most people wouldn't be intimated to use because of a convoluted offering of features most will never use. That's the reason why it has dominated the marketshare to this point. The majority of users aren't power users.

I remember the first generation of TabletPCs back in the early 2000's. Besides the hassle of using the stylus, they flopped because companies believed people wanted these devices as a smaller version of their laptops. They didn't realize usability and ease-of-use is as much of a factor is portability. They just slapped on WindowsME and some handwriting recognition and called it a day. The reason Apple products tend to do better is because their designs are better thought out and are enjoyable to use to the average consumer.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

It's as simple as this...

People follow the crowd. The non-techies out there don't care about this or that, they simply follow what's new, trendy and happening.

Once Windows 8 hits I'm hoping that a wave of simple, easy to understand information will be there and then people will just buy tablets with Windows 8.

Another aspect is the kids... IF the kids love Windows 8 and start asking for it the parents will fall in line.

Simple.

However, I'm afraid, that the one thing holding back Windows 8 are the oems. They'll probably fill their devices with absolute rubbish and users will instantly install everything from Google and Apple (iTunes) which will slow the devices and who gets the blame for that? Microsoft (Just as they did for the oems shipping Vista with only 256Mb ram). Microsoft NEEDS to STOP software makers from even looking at the services list let alone the startup menu.

We NEED that standard hardware limit that's being imposed by microsoft. ALL Tablets must meet or excel that limit to ensure the end user is happy, using the device and not moaning. Will that happen? Depends on how lazy Acer, Toshiba, Sony, Dell and the others are.
    Owned/Sold: TC1100, Tosh M400/M750, HP TC4200/TC4400, Fujitsu Tab, Latitude XT/XT2, Acer 1820ptz, Archos9, SamsungQ1u, Sony VGN-UX1XN, Viewsonic 10, Asus R2h, HP 2740p/2760p/2x TM2, Asus EP121, 2xAcer W500, 3xSamsung 7, Dell Lat ST, Lenovo X220, HP Slate 2, CL900, 2xAtiv 500t, Surface RT+2xPro, Dell Lat10, SurfPro 2, AcerW3, HP Split13 x2, Sams Ativtab 3, Lenovo Yoga11, MS Pro2 512GB. Current: MS SPro 3 256GB i7
    http://straywolves.blogspot.co.uk
    http://damianrjones.blogspot.co.uk

Super Moderator

<<...I think if Microsoft and their hardware partners can make a sufficient case that you are really getting a two-for-one deal...>>

...A recent family experience may be relevant, here.

My daughter is about as technically dis-inclined as it is possible to be in this day and age. This Christmas, she got both a new laptop (to replace her six-year old laptop) and a Kindle Fire. I helped her to set up her laptop, initializing Windows and installing Office and deciding which of the usual bloatware apps she considered worthy of installing.

One of them was an e-book reader. She looked at it and said: "...so my laptop does everything that the Kindle does?"

"...Yes"

"Well then, why do I need it...?"

I'm pretty sure that she left the Kindle behind when she returned to college this morning.
    Last edited by Steve S; 01-05-2012 at 01:49 PM.

TechnologyGuide Editor

Does anyone here feel that Microsoft's failure to gain significant market share with Windows Phone 7 portends bad things for its chances of success with ARM tablets?

To me, no, I'm not concerned because they're two different markets. The iPhone offers an experience you can't get on a win7 desktop yet, so I'm not surprised it's continued to dominate. The Windows phone OS doesn't offer anything special yet, even if it offers a good user experience But on a tablet, where you can run real applications? Then I think it's offering something new and competitive, that you can't get on an iPad. The Win Phone GUI is a nice bonus, but not the real reason I'm looking forward to Win8- it's the ARM compatibility so that I can run real apps on devices similar to the IPad in build. Honestly, even if it was just the normal desktop experience, I'd still be excited because it's functionality I'm after. The interface is really more about redefining the public image of Windows IMO- good for marketing, but less important than true application based functionality. It's not unimportant, of course, just less IMO.
    Last edited by Steve B; 01-05-2012 at 02:24 PM.
    Currently own:
    x230t Outdoor-- Win 7 x64, 256 GB SSD , 16 gb ram, 6-cell
    Thinkpad Tablet 2- Win 8.1, 64 GB SSD, 2 GB RAM

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902, q552

Outdoor Viewable Screens- Comparison Thread with Pics

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jamison Cush View Post
    Does anyone here feel that Microsoft's failure to gain significant market share with Windows Phone 7 portends bad things for its chances of success with ARM tablets?
    I don't. Windows 8 will be in everyone's face when they enter ANY and every single computer store while the shops over here in the UK are barely even mentioning Windows phone 7 when new customers walk in. In the UK, at least, I feel that this reason alone it hasn't taken off. You can shove never ending adverts but until the buzz starts nothing happens. MS could spend millions and millions while all they need is ONE... one single darn game changing application/game and the news will spread through the youngsters and BAM that's the job done.

As it stands Apple gathered the kids in with the iPods, then the iPhone and the rest is history.

If anything Windows 8 will help push Windows on the phone AS LONG as they push the integration aspect. Oh yeah... and tell people like Nokia and HTC to make sexy phones or else the younger kids won't notice even if they ARE interested. As for Arm tablets... same as above.. make sexy apps/games and they will buy. Was there anything fantastic at the launch of the HP Touchpad or Rim playbook? Nope. Oh well.
    Owned/Sold: TC1100, Tosh M400/M750, HP TC4200/TC4400, Fujitsu Tab, Latitude XT/XT2, Acer 1820ptz, Archos9, SamsungQ1u, Sony VGN-UX1XN, Viewsonic 10, Asus R2h, HP 2740p/2760p/2x TM2, Asus EP121, 2xAcer W500, 3xSamsung 7, Dell Lat ST, Lenovo X220, HP Slate 2, CL900, 2xAtiv 500t, Surface RT+2xPro, Dell Lat10, SurfPro 2, AcerW3, HP Split13 x2, Sams Ativtab 3, Lenovo Yoga11, MS Pro2 512GB. Current: MS SPro 3 256GB i7
    http://straywolves.blogspot.co.uk
    http://damianrjones.blogspot.co.uk

But we do not yet know if Windows on Arm (WoA) will run what you are referring to as "Real" Applications. Are you wanting to run Quicken on WoA? Office 2010? My guess is new versions of core titles written in HTML 5 as Chromeless Metro Apps we be available at launch but I doubt legacy applications will run on WoA.

If we see a bunch of WoA consumer tablets, Metro will offer a very good touch experience but moving into a Desktop Environment, MS risks getting bashed for not having a "touch friendly" UI by all of the Tech Pundits (present editorial staff included). I'm not sure we'll see what many in the TabletPC Community is wanting (Full Desktop plus Metro on WoA)

I assume Windows 8 on x86 will run Desktop Applications as they won't need to be re-compiled.

We will hopefully know more starting next week at CES and as the Windows 8 Beta gets closer (I assume some time in Q1 C2012 based on Build in September).
    Jeff Roach - Surface MVP, MCLC, MCT
    Surface Pro 3
    Nokia Lumia 1520 (Phablet)

Thread Information