Microsoft OneNote for Apple iPad Review Discussion

+ Reply to Thread
    TabletPCReview Contributor

Default Microsoft OneNote for Apple iPad Review Discussion

After trying to ignore or repel the iPad for years, Microsoft has finally come around and released an Office app for Apple’s tablet with OneNote for iPad. The app is free but limited. For starters, it comes with a limit of 500 notes, after which you’ll need to make a $14.99 in-app purchase to continue taking notes. For another, it feels as if Microsoft was afraid to let iPad users go full-bore with OneNote, holding some key features back and forcing you to use the PC or Web app for seemingly basic tasks such as creating new notebooks and sections, organizing notes, and assigning tags.

For current OneNote users that have an Apple iPad, it’s worth checking out, which isn’t high praise for a free app. For all others, it’s unlikely you’ll find OneNote for iPad up to the note-taking challenge.

Read the full content of this Article: Microsoft OneNote for Apple iPad Review

Related Articles:

Moving 'up' from iPAQ

Default Re: Microsoft OneNote for Apple iPad Review Discussion

The OneNote application for Windows Mobile is even more limited so I am not sure I agree with what you are insinuating.

It seems to me that MS was intending this to just be a OneNote viewer for the iPad which goes along with the same purpose Apple itself has for the iPad; one of consumption rather than creation.
    regards,

Dan
    Doing the device shuffle again:
    *New* ThinkPad i7 Helix (on order) - phenomenal cosmic power
    HP Elitepad 1000 - my main device
    Dell Venue 8 Pro - my ultra mobile device (I cannot believe where I can stick this thing)

Pen Pal - Newbie

I have used OneNote for a long time on computers, so I really welcome OneNote for iPad. Sure, it bothers me that I cannot create notebooks and sections on the iPad, but this is a minor disadvantage compared to the advantage that I can now view and edit my notebooks on the iPad. I am not really bothered that I need to arrange my notes on a computer afterwards, because the actual pain of notetaking is solved.

What I do miss is editing tables. Those seem to be view-only on the iPad.

Hopefully the App will get better with time. Although I have lots of notes done, I am still far away from the 500 note limit of the free version. Hopefully by the time I need to pay for it, some of the missing features will appear as well :-)

Pen Pal - Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by dceggert View Post
    The OneNote application for Windows Mobile is even more limited so I am not sure I agree with what you are insinuating.

It seems to me that MS was intending this to just be a OneNote viewer for the iPad which goes along with the same purpose Apple itself has for the iPad; one of consumption rather than creation.
    I disagree with Dan, I don’t think iPad is only a consumption device, there is a free app called U PAD lite where you can type, handwrite, etc it is closer to the fabulous OneNote we all know for Windows.

Apple iPad Pages is actually a creation app, you can create beautiful useful documents, you can share them among your computers through iCloud.

I think the OneNote name is misleading, if the purpose is only to be a viewer, it should be called that, OneNote viewer.

I do use my iPad as a creation tool. Dan, do you have an iPad?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jairoebl View Post
    I do use my iPad as a creation tool. Dan, do you have an iPad?
    And Tablet PC can consume media and play touch centric games, however most logical Tablet PC owners and users gnerally agree that an iPad is generally more suited for that task in the tablet world, though I think the 4:3 blows for HD movies.

The iPad and Android devices simply are not geared with content creation in mind, not that that can't do it. I simply haven't seen a single thing in the mobile OS tablet space that would touch a device like the Samsung Series 7 running REAL OneNote for note taking, nothing even close.
    • Samsung Series 7 XE700T1A-A04US 11.6-Inch Slate (128 GB, Win 7 HP)
    • HP TouchSmart tm2t-1000 CTO
    • HP Slate 500
    • Toshiba Libretto W100
    • ASUS Eee Slate EP121 64GB SSD/4 GB RAM
    • Lenvo X220T ~ Core i7-2620M ~ 8GB DDR3-1333 ~ 320GB @ 7200 RPM

We can also use Smart Phones for content creation, there are apps for it but it isn't the primary design and few of us would want to do it on a regular basis...

With a Windows TabletPC with Active Digitizer and Multi-touch we have the ability to "Ink", Touch and use a Keyboard and Mouse. Inking on any pure capacitive screen will never measure up to the experience of a Ntrig or Wacom Digitizer.

iPads and Android Tablets are companion devices and for some that is enough. For those of us who want to consume and create using industry accepted and IT approved applications while retaining mobility, nothing can beat a Windows based Tablet. I'm sure we will see some new Windows tablets over the course of the next year, until then my Samstrulyuely smokes the iPad...
    Jeff Roach - Surface MVP, MCLC, MCT
    Surface Pro 3
    Nokia Lumia 1520 (Phablet)

Thread Information