HP Slate 2 Tablet Hands-On Review: The Best Windows Tablet You Can Buy? Discussion

+ Reply to Thread
    Site Admin

Default HP Slate 2 Tablet Hands-On Review: The Best Windows Tablet You Can Buy? Discussion

It was just last year when Steve Ballmer showed off the tablet that would become known as HP's Slate 500 tablet PC. It was a massive change of direction from where Windows-based tablets had been in the past, and a clear sign of the coming tablet wave.

Read the full content of this Article: HP Slate 2 Tablet Hands-On Review: The Best Windows Tablet You Can Buy?

Related Articles:

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: HP Slate 2 Tablet Hands-On Review: The Best Windows Tablet You Can Buy? Discussion

Another epic fail. Same crappy screen and slower processor with worse graphics than the first. The form factor is perfect and had HP put in an IPS display with gorilla glass and maybe an AMD dual core processor with more RAM this could have been a monster product. They will have poor sales and the Slate will be discontinued by next summer. I would like to know how to get a job as a design engineer for HP. They get paid alot of money to NOT innovate. Good luck with this one HP. We have already experienced the poor performance of the OakTrail processor in the Q550 and were not impressed.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: HP Slate 2 Tablet Hands-On Review: The Best Windows Tablet You Can Buy? Discussion

Slate 1 had no real competitors when it was announced but the delays and flipflopping made HP slip a critical opportunity and it just surrendered and lost the market to Asus and Samsung who actually delivered usable products for the space. Now, Slate 2, more of the same: "too little too late too friggin expensive". Looks like HP really doesn't know what to do in the slate space.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I'm wondering, as an owner of the first slate, do the new additions warrant upgrading to the new device over the first. I like my Slate as the digital art device I use it for, should I consider upgrading or wait for HP to better perfect this device?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I'd wait. I can't see any reason to upgrade. I like mine, but I wish it had a faster processor and a bigger ssd drive. So for now I'll keep mine over-clocked and with a 64gb sd card, until something better comes along.

Moving 'up' from iPAQ

Quote Originally Posted by watchdog View Post
    I'm wondering, as an owner of the first slate, do the new additions warrant upgrading to the new device over the first. I like my Slate as the digital art device I use it for, should I consider upgrading or wait for HP to better perfect this device?
    As a portable art computer, the new N-trig digitizer would be a good upgrade. How much better I am not sure. I see a difference in smoothness, responsiveness, and tracking between my T580 and Q550. If the N-trig digitizer is the same vintage as the Q550 then it would be an improvement. How much is difficult to warrant. If the 500 is working okay for you then there may not be anything to fix.

Too bad you cannot try it out somewhere. The best would be someone buys one and reviews it against the Slate 500, then you would be able to tell.
    regards,

Dan
    Doing the device shuffle again:
    * New * Dell Venue 8 Pro - my ultra mobile device
    HP Elitepad with Win 8.1 (used) - looking for purpose now
    Fujitsu Q702 i5 with Win 8.1 - my main device
    Fujitsu Stylistic Q550 with Win 7 - has started to collect dust

Wait and Hope.

After seeing this permutation of the slate, I made a conscious decision to keep mine for another year. We have the slates running fairly well. NTrig is clearly flawed but touch is really nice. I can live with the reduced inking ability for now.

I am really hoping that the ARM quads and/or better atoms, such as low TDP dual core atoms like the N2800, make the next generation slates far more functional in 8.9" fanless designs. So, I'm getting a warranty extension for a year, a new keypad folio and a power adapter to hold me over till after W8's release.
    Thinkpad X301 | Asus Note 8 | Nokia 928
    Asus M80TA - Failsafe Point +5

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Well my biggest complaint with the digitizer is that it has minute jitters and is not as pin-point accurate as Wacom. I have however been using the Slate for my art since I got it back in January and I am able to work with it pretty well (I certainly never had the same complaints that many here had when they first started using the slate).
    The digitizer isnt perfect, but I still have hopes that N-trig will tighten up their shot group and be able to give Wacom a true run for their money.

Thread Information