Lenovo ThinkPad X60 Tablet PC Review

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Just a Guy

Default Lenovo ThinkPad X60 Tablet PC Review Discussion

The ThinkPad X60 Tablet PC is the second generation X-series Tablet PC / notebook convertible machine from Lenovo. The X60 Tablet PC is a Core Duo based machine that offers both significant performance and feature enhancements over its X41 Tablet PC predecessor. The X60 Tablet (X60t hereafter) is based upon the 12.1" screen X60s ultraportable released earlier this year. While many have been anxiously awaiting the arrival of the Tablet PC incarnation of the X60, we're happy to say the best comes to those who wait.

Read the full content of this Article: Lenovo ThinkPad X60 Tablet PC Review

Scribbler - Standard Member

Default Re: Lenovo ThinkPad X60 Tablet PC Review

Damn!!!! I waited and waited for X60t until last Friday when I decided that I had enough and ordered a HP TC4400! And now X60t is out with that marvelous high-res screen and superb 8-cell battery.
    You know what, my TC4400 is not delivered yet and secretly I'm praying something happens to it or the dealer makes some delays so that I can have an excuse to cancel it and order a X60t instead

Pen Pal - Newbie

There she is! I love great news in the morning

So how is the inking on the multi touch screen? I have a tendency to rest my hand on the screen while writing with a pen, does that cause problems on the multi touch model? Is it possible to turn off multi touch?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by alefsin View Post
    Damn!!!! I waited and waited for X60t until last Friday when I decided that I had enough and ordered a HP TC4400! And now X60t is out with that marvelous high-res screen and superb 8-cell battery.
    You know what, my TC4400 is not delivered yet and secretly I'm praying something happens to it or the dealer makes some delays so that I can have an excuse to cancel it and order a X60t instead
    If you want my honest opinion..... I'd stick with the TC4400

Scribbler - Standard Member

If you want my honest opinion..... I'd stick with the TC4400
    P8RSON, that's an interesting view. Can you please explain a little bit more what do you like in TC4400 more than X60t? Here is what I think:

• I think the design of extended battery in X60t is better than TC4400. In HP's approach, extended battery adds a lot to the thickness of the tablet but in Lenovo's approach only back of the case get a bit longer.
    • X60t has a higher-res screen than TC4400. 1400x1050 vs. 1024x768 can be significant.
    • TC4400 is a little bit heavier than X60t
    • On the other hand, one can order TC4400 with a T7200 processor while according to this review one can only get a L2500 with X60t: T7200 is a little bit faster but the major difference is that T7200 supports EMT64 instruction which means we can run vista (or Linux or 64 bits XP) in full 64 bits mode wile L2500 as far as I remember is only a 32 bits processor.

Am I missing something? I believe Lenovo will soon introduce a version of X60t with the T7200 or newer processors, so besides the processor I don't think TC4400 has any other advantage over the X60t. (I don't know about heat, noise and other factors and I haven't seen both of these two tablets...).
    Last edited by alefsin; 11-14-2006 at 09:14 AM.

Just a Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Hurre84 View Post
    There she is! I love great news in the morning

So how is the inking on the multi touch screen? I have a tendency to rest my hand on the screen while writing with a pen, does that cause problems on the multi touch model? Is it possible to turn off multi touch?
    I was worried about this too, but if you rest your hand on the screen it does not cause unintended "inking", you can draw with your finger but it takes quite a bit of pressure so hard to do that on accident.

I cannot see a way to disable the touch input, I don't believe there is to be honest as I don't see the option in the Customize tablet shortcut menu.

Just a Guy

Quote Originally Posted by alefsin View Post
    P8RSON, that's an interesting view. Can you please explain a little bit more what do you like in TC4400 more than X60t? Here is what I think:

• I think the design of extended battery in X60t is better than TC4400. In HP's approach, extended battery adds a lot to the thickness of the tablet but in Lenovo's approach only back of the case get a bit longer.
    • X60t has a higher-res screen than TC4400. 1400x1050 vs. 1024x768 can be significant.
    • TC4400 is a little bit heavier than X60t
    • On the other hand, one can order TC4400 with a T7200 processor while according to this review one can only get a L2500 with X60t: T7200 is a little bit faster but the major difference is that T7200 supports EMT64 instruction which means we can run vista (or Linux or 64 bits XP) in full 64 bits mode wile L2500 as far as I remember is only a 32 bits processor.

Am I missing something? I believe Lenovo will soon introduce a version of X60t with the T7200 or newer processors, so besides the processor I don't think TC4400 has any other advantage over the X60t. (I don't know about heat, noise and other factors and I haven't seen both of these two tablets...).
    I talked to Lenovo and they will not be releasing a tablet with non LV processors, it gets way too hot with the 7000 series of Intel Core Duo processors in there -- so what you see now in terms of processor options is what you'll have.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Is the pen pressure sensitive ?
    Is the finger-touch pressure sensitive ?

Pen Pal - Newbie

Question Re: Lenovo ThinkPad X60 Tablet PC Review

Hey guys,

I've been waiting for this tablet for months -- I'm psyched that it's finally here! I've got the money, my wife has given it the green light, and my old computer's about to die: ALL SYSTEMS GO!

I've got a few questions for any of you that might know...

* What's with the max RAM? Have any of you noticed that sometimes it says max 2Gb and sometimes 4Gb, and how on the Lenovo site for the X60 non-tablet how even though it can hold up to 4Gb, you can't *order* it with that much? What's a guy gotta do to get 4Gb in my new tablet from the very beginning?

* Does Lenovo sell a battery charger so that I can buy a few batteries and swap out a charged one every now and then? I didn't see any charger-only equipment on the Lenovo site, but I might have just missed it. And if they don't, do you think anybody else might sell one online somewhere?

* I've read back and forth about the graphics processor (the 950, I think it's called?) -- how some people say it won't support Aero and others say of course it will. What I'm taking from these discussions is that it will support Aero but not with much processing to spare. So I'm wondering: Do you think that the finer resolution model (1400x...) might overly tax the graphics processor, resulting in slower performance in Aero?

* Does anybody know whether these machines come with a free upgrade to Vista once it's released -- and is there anything similar for Office?

Thanks in advance,

- Brett

"I will do science to it"

1.) Should be 4GB 667MHz DDR2 Memory
    2.) Yes, when the ordering site is up (not pre-order) there will accessory options for an external battery charger.
    3.) No, the high-res screen will not overtax it, it can support up to I think a 2048x1536px resolution, so the 1400x1050 is no where even close!
    The GMA (Graphics Media Accelerator 950) supports the Windows Aero Glass UI, so the performance will be marginal, but not as fast/great as having a dedicated graphics card.
    4.) Yup, the Windows Vista Express Upgrade - here. I haven't heard of an Express Upgrade for Office 2007, but if anyone knows this, we'll look forward for this - here

EDIT: Yes, there is. You must purchase Office 2003 from an OEM, THEN you can get both an upgrade to Vista, then a coupon to order Office 2007.

Thread Information