Dell Latitude XT Tablet PC User Review Discussion

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Dell Latitude XT Tablet PC User Review Discussion

As many readers will recall, ever since 2007 rumors have been surfacing that Dell was working on a Tablet PC. Then comes December the rumor turns real with Dell announcing and confirming their entry into the tablet market with the Latitude XT. On top of that, their decision to integrate N-Trig's duel-sense touchscreen also brings a lot of speculation into the community. In this review I will share with you the reason for choosing the XT, my experience regarding it, as well as some personal opinions. I hope through this review I can help you decide if the XT will be right for you.

Read the full content of this Article: Dell Latitude XT Tablet PC User Review

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: Dell Latitude XT Tablet PC User Review

very nice review, and long, too

Your reason to buy the Dell was a good reason, because it is the only really portabel convertible with both an active and passive digitizer.

The sad thing is, that Dell made a lot of mistakes, too much. I don't know who designed or produced this tablet, but I don't think that they used a tablet before or had to use a notebook while on the road.

The speed is so interesting, because it has the same CPU the T2010 has but a ATI platform, and it would be nice to see how fast the machine runs on a ATI platform or how fast the ATI graphics card is, compared to the T2010 or the HP.

Your conclusion is a bit sad but realistic, sadly. But I think with the ability to use a touchscreen the Dell still can get a real helper after a while.

PS: How good was your battery life?

Pen Pal - Newbie

Just FYI, the Fujitsu T2010 has an LED backlight as well. As for the Firefox problem, I've never seen that happen before. I have my own problem there as Firefox 2 doesn't support floating TIP (although I've heard Firefox 3 does). Basically I'm a student that uses a tablet for notetaking. I've definitely noticed a handwriting improvement as I really didn't write anything before I got my tablet. I really think Tablet PCs shine when you use OnetNote to coordinate with Outlook and the rest of Office. There are definitely not too many programs that take advantage of touch and pen input unless you are a student and until we see these killer apps, Tablet PCs are going to be stuck in a niche market. /rant

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Did you calibrate the screen of the Dell before you made your tests of color accuracy?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

@HardRoc: I completely agree.
    For FF: Look for "GeckoTIP" and "Grap and Drag".
    And yes, the T2010 was the first with LED backlit, then the Dell, then the Toshiba M700

@jerely:
    calibration, good idea. Do you know how to calibrate a monitor without hardware tools?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    @jerely:
    calibration, good idea. Do you know how to calibrate a monitor without hardware tools?
    Hmm, well, I used to use Adobe Gamma (comes with Photoshop) before I got a calibration tool. Not great, but better than not calibrating.

This page is a bit "messy", but it is one that I come back to frequently:

http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html

They list alternative programs to AdobeGamma, among other things.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Very expensive for what you get, and then there's the promise of multi-touch. The government should setup some sort of agency to prevent the giants to stop annoucing rubbish features that either don't work or don't exist yet. Yes I can claim my tablet will teleport me into Deanna Troi's bedroom, with a simple firmware update.

Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree with the other user a few posts back, expecially regarding your comment at the end about buying another tablet in the future. Get your hands on OneNote or if possible office 2007. Onenote is a huge selling poing for tablets and really takes advantage of the technology, though it has many other great features besides tablet that make it worth using.

Other than that, I'd also search around for tablet applications and watch other tablet enthusiest sites like gottabemobile. The tablet features stand out the most when you have apps that take advantage of them.

Thanks for the great review.

Scribbler - Standard Member

I got my XT too this week.

I can say so far I am really loving it. This is my first Tablet so i am not too familiar with the whole tablet experience yet.

I ordered mine with the 120gb 5400rpm hard drive with 3gb of RAM so I am not really noticing any slow speeds in Vista.

I have not had any blue screens or any other hic-ups yet. Mine does have the same weird pop up with the Sprint WAN saying to activate it.

Mine came with the 4 cell battery and i can tell you the battery life is horrible. I get no more than 1 hour of battery life with the screen on the brightest. I ordered the 6 cell and the battery slice so hopefully that will be better.
    Last edited by spridell; 01-26-2008 at 12:03 PM.

Pen Pal - Newbie

First of all, thanks for all the reply! Unfortunately I didn't see the OneNote option when I ordered the XT, and then subsequently found out it was only $15... but I do have Office 2007 installed.

Also a quick update - I tested the battery life some more this weekend, with the screen set to dimmest and all wireless off (Sprint, WiFi, BT) I get 2 hours 23 minutes of DVD playback using the external DVD/CDRW drive. If I boost the screen to the brightest settings, that number drops to 2 hours flat. By turning the wireless devices on (all 3), and again screen at the brightest, I saw another ~17 ot 18 min. drop in battery life in playing the same DVD. These tests were done with the default power settings (CPU allowed to 100%, HD sleep after 10 min). I do have the 6 cell battery pack, which is the same size as the 4-cell (keeps the size the same) but add some weight to it. Considering the battery slice has very slightly higher power rating compare to the 6-cell battery, I suspect using both of them combined would give you slightly over 4.5 hours of DVD playback time under a reasonable screen brightness setting.

Oh and about the screen: No I did not calibrate it, nor I have the tools to do so. I also don't think the ATI utility gives me too much control. On the other hand, my Fujitsu wasn't calibrated either...

Cheers,

Wallace

p.s. More quirks... besides the fingerprint scanner disappearing, the N-Trig screen is now doing it too. Sometimes after I reboot the N-Trig software will complain about the touch-screen not found; it would not be in the device manager and I will have to reboot. The touchpad also did that once... I have to resort to keyboard shortcuts to reboot... seems like more problem is creeping in every day. Maybe I got a lemon??
    Last edited by Wallace; 01-26-2008 at 04:18 AM.

Thread Information