CL900 for $599 at Microsoft.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default CL900 for $599 at Microsoft.com

In case any are interesred. I just got mine today. 62GB Windows Professional.

LE1600 iPAD Bigoamist

Default Re: CL900 for $599 at Microsoft.com

How do you like it so far?
    It was out of the question to buy until the above mentioned price drop.

Currently I use an iPad and a LE1600 for work and play.
    I love the iPad size and battery life, but not too fond of the lack of an active digitizer.
    I love the LE1600 for the Wacom digitizer which I use for Sketchbook, Manga Studio, and Flipbook.
    (I found out that the screen is 1366 * 768 = OK for Windows 8)
    At work I use One Note to capture student debate notes, grades, and for digital whiteboard when connected to the projector.

My question is, do you think the CL900 would fit the bill to be a replacement for both of my tablets?
    I'd love to have one device to rule them all.
    Also, is the N-Trig digitizer really noisy so I couldn't take notes during Sunday services?

Scribbler - Standard Member

Motion Computing CL900 Tablet PC Handwriting Demo - YouTube

That clicking sounds as bad as water torture. I was really excited about this price drop but until I know more about the CL900 I'm going to lean towards an ep121.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I ordered a CL900 during the price drop at the Microsoft Store. The unit I received does not click that badly. The stylus does produce a clicking sound every time it hits the panel, but the sound is not *that* loud, and it is no louder than the Wacom experience otherwise. I do not feel self-conscious in the least taking notes in class; my pen's clicking is quieter than the sound of turning pages other people produce. Unless your church is the loud and echo-y kind, I'm quite confident that you could take notes during Sunday services. =)

My problem with the CL900 is the performance of the active digitizer. It's so bad that I'm not sure if I didn't receive a defective unit!

You can read more about my experience in this post:
    Ultraportable tablet PC for notetaking

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I sent mine back. The build quality was great, but I decided to keep my Dell ST instead. The display is nicer on the Dell and I like the form factor better. But for $599 I would probably get the CL900 over the Fujitsu Q550.

LE1600 iPAD Bigoamist

I tried to get in on the deal, but since MS Store didn't say when the special ended, and I was waiting for comments on another forum, I missed the deal!
    Anyway in my anger, I went and ordered a Samsung Series 7 Slate with case, keyboard, and dock. It was a big chunk o' change, so when I get it, I hope it lives up to the hype!

How do any of these tablets hold up to outdoor construction sites?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

In all honesty the flood of Windows 8 tabs will soon be here so maybe wait until then? Of course I couldn't wait and opted for the Slate 2 knowing damn well that the Atom might make me pull what's left of my hair out
    Owned/Sold: TC1100, Tosh M400/M750, HP TC4200/TC4400, Fujitsu Tab, Latitude XT/XT2, Acer 1820ptz, Archos9, SamsungQ1u, Sony VGN-UX1XN, Viewsonic 10, Asus R2h, HP 2740p, HP TM2-1050ea, Asus EP121, HP TM2-2050ea, 2xAcer W500, 3xSamsung 7, Dell Lat ST, Lenovo X220, 2xHP 2760p, HP Slate 2, CL900, 2xAtiv 500t, Surface RT+Pro, Dell Lat10, Surface Pro 2, Acer W3, HP Split 13 x2, Sams Ativ tab 3, Lenovo Yoga11 (Orange!), MS SPro1 again, MS Pro2 512GB. Current: MS SPro 3 256GB i7

Wait and Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by tbase1 View Post
    How do any of these tablets hold up to outdoor construction sites?
    If I was going to buy any of these OakTrail Atom/W7/N-Trig tablets for site work, I would get the CL900. However, I think something like the Panasonic Toughbook tablet would be more appropraite, once W8 for ARM is released in the fall. Toughbook Tablet My HP slate is useless outdoors because of the glare display.
    THINKPAD X301 | ASUS Note 8 | NOKIA 928

I ended up getting the Motion F5V for a great price. It does not have the options as my Le1700UVA has but I'm able to live without them. i.e Sd slot, headphone and mic jacks, vga port, and pcmcia slot Sounds like a lot, but given these options but get used in the field the F5V i5 is the one for me.

Thread Information