replace hard drive in LE1600?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Scribbler - Standard Member

Question replace hard drive in LE1600?

Anyone on these forums know where I can get my 1600 upgraded top a bigger HD or where I can get instructions to replace myself? I took the door on the back off but the HD is so tiny and it's imbedded and doesn't look like it can be replaced by me. Any help would greatly be appreciated!
    -Mike
    Asus EP121 Slate
    http://www.animationinsider.com
    "Broadcasting From The Trenches of the Animation Industry"

Pen Pal - Newbie

Post Re: replace hard drive in LE1600?

I needed this info too and didn't have the luxury of waiting around for an answer. after a couple hours of finding no documentation on how to do it, I just went for it. I was swapping drives from my original cracked screen tablet to another tablet with intact screen but smaller hard drive. In addition to wanting to keep my larger hard drive, I wanted to avoid reinstalling all my software and settings if possible.

It definitely seems daunting with how small it is and the rubberized protective layer, but there is a looped tab where the connector is at the top. The rubberized portion around the drive helps protect it from shock as well as holds it in place (there are NO other screws or connections once you have the case plate and then the mounting plate screws removed- that was 4 total).
    Be very aware that these drives are sensitive to jarring motions.
    Once the connector is pulled loose with the tab then you can just slowly pull the rubberized drive straight up. If you're nervous about ripping the connector tab off, you can exert a slight rocking motion from left to right with the tab and a finger on the right side to ease it out a little if the plastic tab doesn't seem enough.

yep, the drive might be in there a little tight, but its really not attached by anything else at this point.
    Keep in mind, my 60gb was LONGER than the 30 and was actually seated under the lip of the casing whereas the 30gb just came right up because it was fully exposed on all sides.
    And the rubberized edging is different for Toshiba drives and Hitachi drives, so they don't quite fit in each others slots exactly the same, but I was able to swap them out just fine and both tablets still boot into XP with no further recovery or anything (near exact models T004 and T005 in my case).

Standard disclaimers apply, perform the upgrade at your own risk, Motion doesn't want you to do it yourself- they want you to pay them for upgraded drives and labor, yadda yadda yadda.

hope this helps someone. No I won't be back here to see questions.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Re: replace hard drive in LE1600?

Swapping hard drives between two LE1600's will give you an Windows activation fault. Serial numbers in the Intel CPU's don't match.

If you call in to try and get another activation off your COA the code you read them will result in them just wanting to put their hand in your pocket for more money.

If you use Partition Magic (or equivalent) to copy the original hard disk onto a new one (possibly larger) it won't result in a Windows activation fault. I've done this one myself several times with LE1600's.

Pen Pal - Newbie

what is the max hard drive i can get for le1600 lads? and where can i buy? thanx

Motion Freak

The biggest HD i ever seen for 1.8" zif disks is the Toshiba 80GB MK8009GAH. It costs around 80ish bucks on eBay.

-Mike
    Asus EP121 Slate

Pen Pal - Newbie

Could anybody tell me which one is the hard drive cover?

What is under the other?

The one on the bottom right is the one with the HD, the other one has the memory chip in it.
    Last edited by milowerx; 02-14-2009 at 03:50 PM.
    -Mike
    Asus EP121 Slate

Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey, Milowerx, did you get to replace the HDD in your 1600? If so, how did it go? Just got a 1600 with 30 gig and I too need to replace it with 60gig. Motion said 60G is the max that older 1600 will take but rather than give me info about the disk they want me to send it in cos "it is proprietary disk drive" yad, yada, yada. I suspect it is the Toshiba M6008GAH or M6006GAH drive. Anybody elso done this and wish to share their experience?

Nope I never did do it. I got to the point of trying to pull the drive out and went chicken. It was really snuggly in there. I've just been living with the small drive. Are you gonna do it? If you do take pics!
    -Mike
    Asus EP121 Slate

Thread Information