+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Surface Pro 3 Rumors

Comic Relief

Default Surface Pro 3 Rumors

I ran across the following article on The Examiner:

Surface Pro 3 is coming - Los Angeles Gadgets | Examiner.com

It claims there will be a first quarter 2014 announcement, including: "...It will have a 10.6-inch screen with a 2,560 x 1600 (300ppi) pixel resolution display and a choice of an i5 or i7 processor that produces even better battery life than the Surface Pro 2. Most importantly, the device will only weigh 1.5 pounds--not perfect, but much more manageable than the current Surface Pro 2."

You folks seeing anything out there on this? Sounds like a Surface 2 case with upgraded Core innards...
    http://www.convertibletabletreview.com/
    Surface Pro 3 i5/8GB/256GB/128GB! - Final Answer

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: Surface Pro 3 Rumors

Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss View Post
    ... Sounds like a Surface 2 case with upgraded Core innards...

What it sounds like is that I'm going to have a very hard time not upgrading to the SP3 next year if that rumor is correct. I was hoping to hold out until the SP4 and get a couple years, at least, out of my SP2.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
    Fujitsu Stylistic Q584 (does-everything-I-need device) | Nokia Lumia 1520 (always-with-me device)

Comic Relief

Quote Originally Posted by dellaster View Post
    What it sounds like is that I'm going to have a very hard time not upgrading to the SP3 next year if that rumor is correct. I was hoping to hold out until the SP4 and get a couple years, at least, out of my SP2.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
    It really may not be that hard to resist. 1920x1080 on the 10.6" screen is already straining my eyeballs - can't imagine what 2560x1600 would do, particularly to the legacy desktop unless they do a MAJOR overhaul to scaling on the desktop (which is needed anyway, so you can bet they won't do it). Will losing 1/2# really going to make that much difference?

My bet is that the Surface Mini may be the sleeper hit of 2014 if it includes Wacom. It must be pretty compelling if they were willing to holod it back from Xmas 2013 to not steal sales for the newer "2" models.

Now, if the SPro 3 manages to tuck the stylus INSIDE the device, then I will be tempted (again)...maybe I should return this SPro 2 while I still can...

Oh, I can hear the collective groan in the Tablet PC Review universe already...
    Last edited by dstrauss; 12-27-2013 at 01:09 PM.
    http://www.convertibletabletreview.com/
    Surface Pro 3 i5/8GB/256GB/128GB! - Final Answer

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Until desktop programs (at least the big ones) are updated to be high DPI friendly, I am not too exited with the resolution to be honest. But, if in a year time we have the popular programs high DPI friendly, then yea, it would be cool.

That aside, as a wish list, I would love to see at least an entry level Nvidia or AMD GPU inside. They are far more power efficient than before. Seeing the Nvidia Tegra 5 with Kepler architecture, makes me wonder why a dedicated GPU version could not be done with this, and use it. Nvidia does have Nvidia Optimus which switch the graphic card off when not in use (uses Intel GPU). Both technologies together would be insane.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I will steer clear of anything higher resolution than 1920x1080 until the desktop is gone for good, Microsoft has reimagined its UI scaling or Adobe and Autodesk totally revamp their software. Not very likely in 2014.
    Visit the blog for artists using professional 2D and 3D Windows 8 applications on the Microsoft Surface Pro tablet. SurfaceProArtist.com

Pen Pro - Senior Member

nah dude.
    If you check out Office 2013, Visual Studio 2013, Windows Vista and up, even Firefox (except in some areas that still needs work) they look gorgeous at high DPI settings. So it's possible. It's just a question of having developers spend a bit of time to test their software with high DPI, 'cause right now, they don't even check.

Software companies don't need to rework the entire software to make it high DPI friendly, just the GUI part. A software can be seen as layers. Where you have a set of function, which are action or things a program can do, then you have a controller layer above that applies there function to do stuff, then you have the GUI on top, which allows you to execute these functions. Its more complicated than that in reality, but just a super brief overview.
    Last edited by GoodBytes; 12-27-2013 at 01:41 PM.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

What does nha mean?
    Visit the blog for artists using professional 2D and 3D Windows 8 applications on the Microsoft Surface Pro tablet. SurfaceProArtist.com

Pen Pro - Senior Member

A typo of "nah". Corrected.
    Urban Dictionary: nah
    A friendly or different way of saying "Not really", or "No".

I didn't want to sound aggressive with "no", so "nah" was used.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Isn't it a bit early to be talking about the SP3? Then again better battery life, and lighter, doesn't hurt but for some reason I get the feeling this is atom based on not icore.

Thinkpad or Bust

Well this makes my decision to return my sp2 easy. I will wait to buy anything now until ces,is over at least.

I returned my tpy. The matte finish made it really hard to read since everything was much darker. Ugh I have to suffer with my damn macbook 08 again.

Thread Information