How to make a drive image of your Surface Pro 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: How to make a drive image of your Surface Pro 2

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default How to make a drive image of your Surface Pro 2

So now that I've got this SP2 all set up, I'd like to make a full drive image in case disaster strikes. What's the best way to do this? Norton Ghost? EaseUS Todo Backup? Macrium Reflect? Passmark ImageUSB? Acronis TrueImage? Something else?

I'm also curious if anyone has actually successfully restored from a drive image. I checked some older threads and this nifty service called google.com, but I didn't find any clear cut solutions.. yet.

Edit: this looks promising, the included 'system image' option in Win8.1. From the wording though it sounds like I wouldn't be able to save modified files to the image, which would be nice. More info on system restore from a drive image here.

Name:  System Image Backup.jpg
Views: 6091
Size:  86.5 KB

Gotta love the warning message: "Found some problem files. Have a nice day!" I mean why tell people where the files are, if instead you can have them waste time figuring out what the hell this means.
    Last edited by JoeS; 11-20-2013 at 06:41 PM.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: How to make a drive image of your Surface Pro 2

System Image Backup is still a built-in option. See Paul Thurrott's article:

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/wi...m-image-backup
    Fujitsu Stylistic Q584 (does-everything-I-need device) | Nokia Lumia 1520 (always-with-me device)

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dellaster View Post
    System Image Backup is still a built-in option. See Paul Thurrott's article:

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/wi...m-image-backup
    Thanks, I was just reading through that link. I have to say, the comments on that article are kind of scary. Not many "I used it, it works!" comments. Zero, I think. There are some comments on how the restore process doesn't work because it still requires Win install disks.

I'd still very much like to hear a first-hand story of anyone that did a successful restore form system image on an SP2.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Here's a thread where someone has made it work with Acronis TrueImage:
    Rescue Media Builder and ISO Builder still don't create bootable media on Surface Pro | Knowledge Base

Solution by Olivier Renaud:

I use Acronis TrueImage 2014 to ghost our Surface Pro and Surface Pro 2 at my job.
    But you need a port replicator, in my case I use the Lenovo Thinkpad USB 3.0 Port Replicator which is great since you can add two monitor at ounce.

I used the rescue media builder option and put that on a usb Key

1. Insert the USB key in the port replicator.

2. Boot the unit by holding down volume up and the power button, When you see SURFACE, release Power then Volume up

3. Change the Secure boot Control setting to Disabled and save settings.

4a. Now this part is for Surface Pro only
    The unit will restart in Windows 8, shut it down.
    Boot the unit by holding volume down button, then hit power button, When you see SURFACE, release Power then Volume down.

4b This part is for Surface Pro 2 only
    from Windows 8.1 go to Settings- Change PC Settings - Update and Restore - Restore - Reboot now
    From the Blue Menu, choose Use a peripheral and select your usb drive. (sometime it don't work the first time, restart 4b)

5. You will be prompted with a menu where you can select Acronis (note the you need the keyboard..)
    Be sure to backup only the C drive avec leave unchecked the other 3

On the Surface Pro 2 when you disable the Secure boot you'll get an ugly Red screen when you boot. You'll have to re-enable Secure boot and choose the option Install Default Secure Boot Keys to get rid of it.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

It does work. The Windows 8 (and 8.1) bootloader has an option to recover from a specific image. Of course, it's not that easy because you can't actually use the on-disk bootloader if you want to restore an image to that disk.

Now, one major thing to keep in mind is that system image backup does NOT backup the contents of your recovery partition (the files needed to reset back to stock). After you recover from system image backup, the recovery partition will be there, but blank.

So the best solution is to use two disks. Use a larger one for the system image backup, and then use an 8GB flash drive to "Create a recovery drive" and be sure to make sure the option to copy the partition to the drive is selected. That way, the flash drive will have the contents of your recovery partition on it, plus, the flash drive would also load to that same bootloader so that you can restore from that.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    It does work. The Windows 8 (and 8.1) bootloader has an option to recover from a specific image. Of course, it's not that easy because you can't actually use the on-disk bootloader if you want to restore an image to that disk.
    I knew I should have used the signal.

Name:  jhoffsignal.jpg
Views: 6062
Size:  80.4 KB

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Ha, in this specific case, I learned the bit about the recovery partition the hard way. It's part of how my Pro 1 ended up with no recovery partition to reset to stock when I was preparing to ship it out after selling it.

(x) / fashion

CloneZilla or Redo Backup. Both are free LiveCDs. Both are reliable. The former can backup individual partitions, the latter backs up the whole drive.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Ha, in this specific case, I learned the bit about the recovery partition the hard way. It's part of how my Pro 1 ended up with no recovery partition to reset to stock when I was preparing to ship it out after selling it.
    Thanks for sharing your pain.. OK, so after figuring out how to fix this horrible search pane freezing issue that I caused by changing the files to index (thanks MS..), I'm ready to save an image to my new 2TB backup drive.

Followup question: If I turn on bitlocker on the backup hard drive and write the drive image to it, will the recovery mode (from the recovery USB stick) be able to prompt me for the Bitlocker password and read from the drive?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Followup followup question: I blindly went ahead and created a drive image on a bitlocker encrypted drive, so I hope I'll be able to restore from that.. When I try to open the generated drive image folder, win8 prompts me that I don't have permission to see the contents. I can give myself permission, but I wonder if that could damage the image / render it unrestorable. For now I just won't touch it, but I'm curious if the lack of access permission is 'expected'.

Thread Information