Surface pro driver update issue

+ Reply to Thread
    Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Surface pro driver update issue

Hello!

Ive been having trouble running some softwares and then someone warn me that could be a driver needing to be updated.

Well I went over intels website, ran intel update utility and it showed me several drivers needed updates, but it couldnt do anything cause most of them were "unknown", and the graphics driver was customized by OEM.

I discovered that I should set off windows so it wouldnt download graphics driver by its own and instead I should manually do it. So far so good.

Now, should I do the same thing for all the other drivers, like wireless? I mean, should I install them manually and disable windows from touching them?

Here's a pic: Name:  ss.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  93.0 KB

Super Moderator

Default Re: Surface pro driver update issue

<<...should I install them manually and disable windows from touching them?..>>

Wow. That's about the last thing that I would do.

Although I have always been an advocate of not installing drivers provided by Windows Update, I make an exception for the Surface devices because, after all, they are a Microsoft product. For Surface, I take the opposite stand; I wouldn't install any driver that wasn't provided by Microsoft, and that includes Intel, precisely for the reason that you note (many OEMs customize the generic drivers provided by Intel, Marvell, etc.).

You don't say exactly what software problems you've been having. Perhaps if you provided a bit of detail...?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

The Intel GPU driver is the only one I would consider installing from Intel and ignoring the Windows Update driver - if you use any apps that require OpenGL, Microsoft's drivers have been broken for a while now.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Ive been having trouble with Mischief 1.08. It just wont run AT ALL. Not even open a dialog or anything.

So I started looking for solutions and ended up discovering that it actually need the graphics driver to be updated in order to run.

Then I ran the intel utility thing and I saw whats in that picture I posted.

Anyways, there all lots of posts discussing the need to manually update the graphics, at least, cause as jhoff said, microsoft udpate is broken in that regard.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Yeah, from what I read about Mischief, after seeing the guy from Penny Arcade tweet about it, is that you do need a driver that provides working OpenGL.

Thread Information