Thread: New ArtDock for Surface Pro

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default ArtDock for Surface Pro (V2!)

---------------------------------------------------

NEW VERSION 2 (9/3/13)

- fixed dpi scaling bug.
    - reduced the UI by a ton.
    - Added swanky new Tguard toggle!
    - Made batch file and shortcut that handles ArtDock and Tguard with a single button.
    - Moved default ArtDock location to top, in order to avoid interference with touch keyboards.

---------------------------------------------------

Here's a version of ArtDock I made specifically for the surface pro. I wanted it to be minimal, usable, and look like it belongs in the W8 UI.

Name:  artdock.jpg
Views: 15370
Size:  43.8 KB

Credit goes to Konartist3D for the awesome original script. He made all of the icons and original scripts for the series 7 slate and ep121. All I did was hack it a little to make it work for w8 and my personal workflow.

And even more credit goes to this guy, who developed the underlying code to make this possible. RawInputControlTest.ahk

Install Instructions:

1) Install the newest version of AutoHotKeyhere

2) Unzip the file here to the root of your c drive. So it should look like "C:/artdock"

3) Drag the "ArtDock" shortcut onto your windows toolbar.

Some Notes:
    1) Clicking the toolbar multiple times will toggle touch off and on. Super handy!
    4) Photoshop logo is for PS (duh). The Skechbook logo will work for all other programs.
    5) Original Script by Konartist3D is here.

Hope you all find this useful!
    Last edited by DoctorBunsenHoneydew; 09-04-2013 at 11:01 AM.

Scribbler - Standard Member

Default Re: New ArtDock for Surface Pro

Thanks for sharing the script.
    I am running the original script an it seems to have some touch problems. When I rest the palm on the screen and paint then the buttons are not working. If I don't touch the screen with the palm then everything works fine.. any idea why ?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default New ArtDock for Surface Pro

I noticed that problem as well. It happens on the series 7 slate too in windows 7, so it's not unique to the surface pro or windows 8. Only happens with big wide inputs like your palm. Doesn't happen with finger inputs.

Wish i knew why that happens. Might I suggest some fashionable fingerless gloves perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorBunsenHoneydew View Post
    I noticed that problem as well. It happens on the series 7 slate too in windows 7, so it's not unique to the surface pro or windows 8. Only happens with big wide inputs like your palm. Doesn't happen with finger inputs.

Wish i knew why that happens. Might I suggest some fashionable fingerless gloves perhaps?
    I'll give it a try

Pen Pal - Newbie

wait, surface pro has palm rejection . i can draw with my palm on the screen but now with this program i have to wear a glove.
    Ha no thanks

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bathala View Post
    wait, surface pro has palm rejection . i can draw with my palm on the screen but now with this program i have to wear a glove.
    Ha no thanks
    You should actually use the program, re-read what we are talking about, and then edit your comment. No rush, we'll wait for you.

To zbrush: I suggest trying one of those SmudgeGuard gloves. Apart from being generally nice for drawing, mine does a pretty good job of preventing that palm-touch error we're talking about. Not a real solution of course, but it works for me.
    Last edited by DoctorBunsenHoneydew; 02-18-2013 at 10:42 AM.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Hey DoctorBunsenHoneydew,

Thank you for your work on this terrific script. While I don't have a Surface Pro (I don't need the extra power and prefer the larger 16:10 display of the comparatively-dinosaur-ish EP121), it's really good to see that this truly game-changer of a script can be adapted to a state-of-the-art system. There may be a future after all for this script (this one created by Konartist3D but also the simpler one on which it's based) beyond the EP121 and S7!

I'm sure that soon enough SP users will realize just how absolutely awesome this script is (and the others like it) and how powerful it is for art programs. If it works as well on the SP as it does on the EP121 and the S7, this thread will probably become quite popular! I mean: being able to use with your fingers any number of customizable shortcut buttons while Touch is actually turned off, that's about as good as it can get short of having physical buttons to press.

Keep up the good work!
    Last edited by lblb; 02-19-2013 at 02:23 AM.

Hey I downloaded this and its really great except one problem, I am left handed. I tried looking into the file to see if I could change it myself but I am not a programmer by any means. How can I move this to the right side of the screen?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by darthjosh View Post
    Hey I downloaded this and its really great except one problem, I am left handed. I tried looking into the file to see if I could change it myself but I am not a programmer by any means. How can I move this to the right side of the screen?
    I suppose I could make a lefty version as well. If I have time this weekend I'll whip one up.

Also noticed that the slider undo/redo buttons sometimes do phantom clicks. I replaced it with separate undo/redo buttons that work more predictably.

Hopefully I can get both revisions in by this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by darthjosh View Post
    You can move it anywhere on the screen you want. Just drag the area with 3 horizontal bars. ( i am using the original script but i guess it has the same structure)
    Edit : looking at the pictures on the top i see that it's different and is missing the area with 3 strips.
    Last edited by zbrush; 02-25-2013 at 10:39 PM.

Thread Information