Anyone try opening up their pro yet? - Page 5

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Anyone try opening up their pro yet?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: Anyone try opening up their pro yet?

Many things are going to a closed architecture.

Automobiles were previously 100% user-serviceable, but not anymore.

Televisions had tubes that could be replaced, but not anymore.

If the Surface Pro specifications do not meet your needs due to RAM, SSD or battery, there is nothing else currently on sale that will meet those needs.

The Lenovo Helix and Kupa Ultranote are the only two with superior specifications, but both are vapor right now.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

These guys are not stupid and they might never be... . If you shipped a tablet like the surface, today, with a 256Gb SSD, 8Gb ram and all the ports ever wrapped in a nice little bundle then we'd buy and probably see zero reason to buy again until years later. It's about pulling you in and getting you to buy again and again. Televisons were stuck for years and years so they rolled out HD televisions with minimal features, then added 1080p, then higher refresh rates, then 3D and next... 4k.

We could have everything, nearly, that we want now but it's all about MONEY. If you really wanted a machine that has it all you guys that dislike the surface would already have something like the HP 2760p. 16Gb ram, 512Gb Samsung 840 Pro ssd... awesome. There ARE options for you so it makes little sense to slap the Surface while we should also be slapping the 700t and other machines.

Or something like that... .
    Owned/Sold: TC1100, Tosh M400/M750, HP TC4200/TC4400, Fujitsu Tab, Latitude XT/XT2, Acer 1820ptz, Archos9, SamsungQ1u, Sony VGN-UX1XN, Viewsonic 10, Asus R2h, HP 2740p/2760p/2x TM2, Asus EP121, 2xAcer W500, 3xSamsung 7, Dell Lat ST, Lenovo X220, HP Slate 2, CL900, 2xAtiv 500t, Surface RT+2xPro, Dell Lat10, SurfPro 2, AcerW3, HP Split13 x2, Sams Ativtab 3, Lenovo Yoga11, MS Pro2 512GB. Current: MS SPro 3 256GB i7
    http://straywolves.blogspot.co.uk
    http://damianrjones.blogspot.co.uk

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Just a correction....I think the surface is great as a tablet .
    Like you said we all have to see what we want and when is the best time
    to jump into the pool of tablets and swim with them....given the
    industry trends . So for me, it is that kinda ambivalence that plays havoc
    in my mind . I just wish we'd all be supportive and understanding of each other .
    Gateway CX210X tablet[/I][/B]: ram from 2to 4 gb; cpu C2D 1.83 Ghz(T5600) to C2D 2.33 Ghz(T7600), HD to intel SSD,vista to Win 7 HP; intel 5300wireless card [/SIZE]
    Toshiba M400 tabletpc : C2D 2Ghz( T7200),ram from 2 to 4 GB,vista ult. to Win7 HP. HD to OCZ 128 GB SSD.
    Wireless card to Intel 5300
    HP TX 2000 tablet- Gifted
    Waited on HP slate 500( 82 days!)!
    Ord: 10/29/10
    Shipped : 1/15/11
    Delvrd : 1/19/11 !
    HP Slate 500 - 8.9" ssd to 128 gb .
    TPT2 64GB LTE

Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm in!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was so easy. A space heater and some guitar pics was all it took. It is also still working. I'm going to start removing screws later tonight, maybe. I don't have anything smaller than a T4 driver so I will probably have to wait until the rest of my ifixit order comes in. Just wanted to let everyone know that opening the case was way easier than iFixit indicated. The "glue" also peels off pretty easily.

I'll try to post pictures later.

256GB here I come.

Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 7509
Size:  39.9 KBName:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 7486
Size:  35.1 KBName:  photo 3.jpg
Views: 7482
Size:  37.8 KBName:  photo 4.jpg
Views: 7476
Size:  36.7 KB

BTW, it took all of about 3 minutes to open after leaving it in front of the space heater for a couple minutes. Can anyone recommend good adhesive tape? I'm thinking iFixit must supply some for iPad repairs.

Wait and Hope.

Cast Iron Balls!
    Thinkpad X301 | Asus Note 8 | Nokia 928

Quote Originally Posted by Bronsky View Post
    Cast Iron Balls!
    Why thank you

A heads up for anyone else who wants to do this. If you peel off the "glue" tape, make sure you insulate between the screen and body if you continue to use the tablet. The touch sensor goes wonky if you don't and you will have to do so and do a full reset (hold down the power button for a few seconds) to get the screen to recalibrate. This shorting has the potential (I would imagine) to cause damage.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by John566 View Post
    Why thank you

A heads up for anyone else who wants to do this. If you peel off the "glue" tape, make sure you insulate between the screen and body if you continue to use the tablet. The touch sensor goes wonky if you don't and you will have to do so and do a full reset (hold down the power button for a few seconds) to get the screen to recalibrate. This shorting has the potential (I would imagine) to cause damage.
    Good job but I have to wonder why you would take it apart with it still power on. Is it so you can make sure you aren't messing up the screen?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by excalibur1814 View Post
    Televisons were stuck for years and years so they rolled out HD televisions with minimal features, then added 1080p, then higher refresh rates, then 3D and next... 4k.
    Since I work in television a need to comment on this... There really was a technological limitation that needed to be overcome, and the stupid people in the USA on the ATSC committee didn't get the full specs finished before people started shipping TV's so the manufacturers needed to alter things as they were going. It was a real mess while things were in transition.

There will always be a faster processor, less power consuming whatever for longer battery, etc., etc. so I don't think rolling out a fully featured machine means four to five years of no upgrades. Look at the Apple crowd and how often most of them upgrade without really needing the newer better features.

Thread Information