Can't install Wacom tablet pc drivers >:[ - Page 3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: Can't install Wacom tablet pc drivers >:[

What Tonitti said above; I just did.

I decided it did not really matter WHAT I think, what matters is whether Wacom is going to step up to the plate or not; so I put a question in to Wacom Tech Support two minutes ago asking about Wacom providing a driver for the Surface Pro.

Feel free to do the same if you want a Wintab driver for your new Surface Pro. The Wacom web site claims Tech Support will respond within two business days.

Pen Pal - Newbie

could you try such a thing:
    install not the latest swacom driver, but this one http://cdn.wacom.com/U/drivers/Table...ouch_709-5.zip
    i always had problems with wacom drivers on my hp tm2 with windows 8. the latest wacom driver is not working in photoshop, but the one i linked does.
    it has an issue: onscreen keyboard becomes too small, but it is fixed if you install the latest driver on top of this one (do not uninstall it before installing the new one)

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BWhite View Post
    What Tonitti said above; I just did.

I decided it did not really matter WHAT I think, what matters is whether Wacom is going to step up to the plate or not; so I put a question in to Wacom Tech Support two minutes ago asking about Wacom providing a driver for the Surface Pro.

Feel free to do the same if you want a Wintab driver for your new Surface Pro. The Wacom web site claims Tech Support will respond within two business days.
    I forgot to mention, here is a video I recorded using the Wacom Beta drivers. The Wacom TabletPC menu appears right at the beginning of the video. I have to say I never asked Wacom about drivers, only solutions, but my surprise was that they sent me these drivers anyhow, so with luck you all could receive ones too before final are ready, not sure though, maybe they sent them to me because I asked for a solution nicely :].

VIDEO: Asus Vivotab Tf810c Tablet - drawing & painting review & some gaming - YouTube

Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, I tested Sketchbook 6 and it has pressure sensitivity. If an app doesn't rely on WinTab, it's generally good to go for pressure. ArtRage has pressure sensitivity as well.

Quote Originally Posted by e-schreiber View Post
    Devices shipping with bugs is an unwritten rule in the industry. The early adopter always complain, but they'll be the first ones on the line again when a new product XYZ hits the shelves. Regarding Wacom, since they haven't officially associated their name with the Surface Pro, I doubt they will officially get involved with driver releases. I think drivers will come from Microsoft.
    Lisa
    Editor in Chief
    MobileTechReview.com

I asked Microsoft about this on the @Surface Twitter. Here's their less-than-hopeful reply:

"@Jonathan_Case Pressure support may not be available until Adobe updates their apps to take advantage of the new Windows APIs"

I replied back that it's not just Adobe, and that in the meantime, creative professionals cannot use their product for the same purposes that every other penabled tabletPC can serve.

Hopefully they'll wake up and partner with Wacom to create a driver, post-haste.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Thumbs down Re: Can't install Wacom tablet pc drivers

I bought this tablet thinking that Microsoft itself was finally going to show the world how a Tablet PC is done. That all the problems would be solved. But to just release the thing
    without being ready to go shows the same lack of caring about the designer / artist community that every other Tablet PC hardware manufacturer has shown from the beginning.
    That is, include a licenced Wacom digitizer, provide nearly zero information about it, and close to zero support for it. Crazy.

The fact is, that Microsoft shipped a device without proper driver support for the pen itself on it's "PRO" tablet. A machine advertised as ready to run Photoshop! ( It is, but will not work with pressure sensitivity. Uh, hello.. that's key to many people buying the thing in the first place..) Why does there always have to be a major gotcha with this stuff? There's no excuse for it other than just plain lack of caring, or laziness. No one from Wacom or MS has ever stepped forward to address this issue, and I doubt they will.

I have already returned this tablet, and I will NEVER purchase another piece of Microsoft hardware unless they:

1) Heavily advertise up FRONT what specific digitizer the device ships with. WACOM? NTrig?
    2) Provide information on the pressure sensitivity as it applies to ALL applications, not just SOME. Why must we always dig around for our own solutions when setting these things up?
    I have been using Tablet PC's since their invention, and I have never see any coordinated effort to lock these very basic details down, or even an attempt to explain them to the end user.

As an artist, the Surface Pro has been an incredibly frustrating wait, gamble, and complete waste of my time. I guess that's what I get for being an early adopter, especially where the standard practice in the tablet world is to keep the customer in the dark about specific details.

You'll find me in the Samsung forums. (Who seems to get how important the pen is -and has purchased stake in Wacom recently.)

Maybe I'll be interested in Surface 2, but I sure as **** won't buy one until your Wacom pressure / driver madness is totally sorted out from day 1.
    Good luck Microsoft..

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jcase View Post
    I asked Microsoft about this on the @Surface Twitter. Here's their less-than-hopeful reply:

"@Jonathan_Case Pressure support may not be available until Adobe updates their apps to take advantage of the new Windows APIs"
    Ha. New APIs? That's being extremely generous to Adobe. The Microsoft pen APIs have been around for at least 4 years now.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Also: "until Adobe updates their apps to take advantage of the new Windows APIs.." Is total B.S.

I understand this is Microsoft throwing down some sort of gauntlet..but hasn't their motto been "Total backward compatibility with ALL your old apps?" -Not just "buy new apps, because we say so?"
    If anything is throwing me more and more toward open source free software and running Linux, it's tactics like these. How astoundingly idiotic.

Here's a chat with Surface Support. Basically the same thing. I'm getting a nasty feeling that the art community is going to be stuck in the middle of a giant game of chicken between Adobe, Wacom, and Microsoft. Maybe someone will hack together some makeshift drivers in the meantime?

Surface Support: Thank you for contacting Surface Support, my name is Jennifer. Am I speaking with G?
    GR: Yes
    Surface Support: Please make sure to not leave the web page you are on now. If you do, the chat window will disappear from the screen and drop your session. In case you leave the page, visit Microsoft Surface support | Surface help and how-to | Surface setup and troubleshooting, and your chat window and session will restore immediately. If you prefer that we call you back when or if this happens, please provide me a call back number now, and I will make a note of it.
    GR: My number is XXX-XXX-XXXX
    Surface Support: Thank you. I've read your notes and see that you are having an issue with the pen pressure sensitivity in Photoshop, is this correct?
    GR: Yes
    Surface Support: As I'm sure you've noticed, the Surface pen tip is pressure-sensitive. In apps that support pen pressure input, such as Microsoft OneNote, pressing harder with the pen thickens the line that you draw. Using less force produces a thinner line.
    Surface Support: Using the pen with an app that doesn't support pen pressure input creates a uniform line thickness regardless of the amount of pressure you apply.
    Surface Support: Using Photoshop, your pen will work, but the function of the eraser and pressure sensitivity will not work at this time.
    GR: I understand. Photoshop has been supporting pressure sensitivity and multitouch for years. It is #1 in the digital art community. Please forward this complaint to people familiar with this tool - it is an essential tool for me and I will have to return the Surface Pro if it is not supported.
    GR: Which would be a real shame - it's a beautiful computer.
    Surface Support: This may be a temporary issue until Photoshop updates the application to support the Surface Pro.
    Surface Support: Another note, you may also receive a Windows update to update the drivers to support this function.
    GR: Is any hard information available? Or is this only supposition at this stage. Could you tell me what documentation you have on this issue?
    Surface Support: At this time, there has been no information released by Microsoft regarding when or if they will update the drivers to support this. I can say that they are aware of the issue. Another option is to contact Photoshop and inquire if they have plans in place to accommodate the Surface Pro for this function.
    GR: What about Wacom? Might they release a driver? It is their technology inside, and their drivers support Photoshop.
    Surface Support: I'm unsure if Wacom will release drivers compatible with the Surface Pro.
    GR: Anyway, I have 14 days to decide whether or not to return the Surface. It would be great to know some further information so I can make the decision.
    Surface Support: The information I've been given is, "Advanced features such as Pressure or Eraser support may not be available until Adobe updates their apps to take advantage of the new Windows APIs but Photoshop absolutely runs on Surface Pro and you can use the PEN in a similar way to the mouse."
    GR: Is there any way for me to be updated when there is more information?
    Surface Support: To keep up to date on information releases, try following Surface on Twitter @Surface, or like Surface on Facebook, or visit Surface by Microsoft, Buy the New Windows Tablet
    GR: I would add information to the above quote you have. Photoshop multitouch pan and zoom also does not work on the Surface Pro.
    GR: Make sure that is reported as well.
    Surface Support: Good to know, thank you G.
    Surface Support: Do you use Photoshop to draw G?
    GR: OK. I'll make another support request nearer to the return deadline.
    GR: Yes I do.
    Surface Support: Have you tried the "Fresh Paint" app?
    GR: Fresh Paint is a nice toy, but it is not a professional digital art tool.
    GR: Sketchbook Pro works well on the Surface, but doesn't support a few key features I need.
    Surface Support: I was using Sketchbook for the first time today, I like that one.
    GR: Believe me - I'd love to find a way to make things work. I'm absolutely in love with the surface Pro.
    Surface Support: I'm glad to hear that, and I hope there is a fix for this very soon for you.
    GR: Here are examples of my art:
    GR: TheGiffMan's Sketchbook
    Surface Support: I'm amazed now, that is really awesome G.
    GR: This art was done with an old Fujitsu tablet PC. Four or five years old. I'm itching to do this with the surface because it's so much better in every way. Tell your supervisors that I'm dying for this fix. ;-)
    Surface Support: I can understand a lot better now why you need this function of the pressure sensitivity support. You are a valued customer, and I assure you, we hear your concerns.
    GR: That's a great online art forum, by the way - if you decide to dabble in digital art more it's a wonderful community. Anyway, thanks for your time. And if you hear anything more on this, please don't hesitate to email me.
    Surface Support: Your reference number for this chat is:1196346548. If you need to contact Surface Support regarding this same issue, please quote this as a reference to our chat today. Remember to look for updates on Twitter, Facebook or Surface by Microsoft, Buy the New Windows Tablet
    GR: The button above will email the chat to me, right?
    Surface Support: To do a quick recap, you chatted in with me today to help with drivers for pen sensitivity. I have provided you with the information to stay updated.
    GR: And is it OK to share this information with other artists who have these concerns.
    Surface Support: Yes, you can email the chat to yourself, and of course you can share this with your friends.
    Surface Support: You can also post your concerns in the Microsoft Forum to generate attention to this issue if you prefer. I'll send the link.
    Surface Support: Forum
    GR: Yes - though I would certainly prefer a way to be kept up to date on the specific issue immediately, rather than having to just keep up with mass twitter posts and what not. This issue is important and urgent for me. Please share that feedback.
    GR: Thanks for the help. Sorry you're working on a Sunday. ;-)
    info: Your chat transcript will be sent to G@g.com at the end of your chat.
    Surface Support: If you like I can email you an update weekly and keep you up to date, would that work?
    GR: Sure. I just have 14 days to return it, but an e-mail in a week would be great.
    Surface Support: Sounds goof G, I will email you 02/17/2013 with most current information. Can you please confirm your email address?
    GR: G@g.com
    Surface Support: Great, thank you G. Is there anything else I can help you with today?
    GR: Well, there are two other smaller things while I have you on the line.
    Surface Support: Sure.
    GR: 1. I had an incident where my pen digitizer stopped working completely. No detection of the pen at all. No palm block. Nothing.
    GR: I used system restore. No change. I restored the machine to the factory defaults - wiping the drive. No change.
    GR: Then the next day it started working again.
    GR: My conclusion is that, while I kept rebooting, I never powered down the device completely and left it unpowered for a while.
    GR: I'm crediting this with resetting the digitizer.
    GR: But I'm no expert.
    Surface Support: This may have been an issue that was resolved by the Windows updates that were released. Also, in order for updates to take affect, your device needs to be completely powered off and back on.
    GR: Anyway, that's just a report from the field. This happened yesterday evening, and it's working today.
    GR: Windows Update won't work with a reboot?
    Surface Support: When you say "reboot", do you mean using the physical button, or choosing to "Restart" from Settings?
    GR: Restart from either the settings, or the windows update feature. It did certainly say it was installing the updates. Furthermore, I did a complete reset and even that didn't restore the pen functionality.
    GR: But being powered off for a while seemed to fix it.
    GR: Anyway, I just wanted to report that.
    Surface Support: That is an odd thing to happen. If the pen is defective, I would not assume it would work today, but if you restored your system and did Windows Updates, this should have fixed the problem right away. I would suggest, if you have this issue again, please contact support so that we can troubleshoot with you. Have you ever run a calibration on your touchscreen?
    GR: I did do a calibration of the pen digitizer when it seemed that accuracy could be better. But it just made things worse, so I told it to reset the calibration. But my trouble with the pen going out altogether didn't correspond to any of this.
    GR: Also, I tested the surface pen on my old fujitsu tablet and it worked fine.
    GR: So the problem seemed to not be the pen.
    Surface Support: If the pen worked fine, this could have been an issue with your Surface Pro Touch Screen, or drivers. I think the Windows Updates fixed this issue, however if it happens again, please contact us at Surface Support.
    GR: OK sure.
    Surface Support: Wonderful, would you like help with anything else G?
    GR: My last question just has to do with calibration. It's ever so slightly off - not a big deal but if I can have it perfect I'd like to. ;-) Particularly I notice that if the pen tilts near the upper left corner, the pen cursor shoots off the screen. Has this been reported?
    GR: Pen calibration that is.
    Surface Support: In my opinion, playing with the calibration has never worked for me, you can try to run the calibration and be as careful as you can to be perfect, but my best advise for you is to leave it at factory settings, and this way, again it can be improved through updates. Keep in mind this device was only just launched yesterday, there will most likely be a lot of updates shortly.
    GR: OK. That's the price you pay for being one of the first in line for a brand new product. I just want to give feedback because improving things is in everyone's best interest.
    GR: Thanks for your time. I'm done now. ;-)
    Surface Support: I agree. When the Surface RT was released though, we had over 20 updates in 3 months, so this is something to look forward to. The nice thing about Windows is it is always improving.
    Surface Support: Your reference number for this chat is:1196346548. If you need to contact Surface Support regarding this same issue, please quote this as a reference to our chat today. Thank you again for choosing Surface Support, it was an absolute pleasure chatting with you G. Have a wonderful day!
    Surface Support:

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Can't install Wacom tablet pc drivers >:[

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Ha. New APIs? That's being extremely generous to Adobe. The Microsoft pen APIs have been around for at least 4 years now.
    Yep, same story as always. Manufacturer blames adobe for not supporting their custom pen interface, and adobe blames the manufacturer for not supporting wintab.

On any other tablet pc, the workaround is to install wacom's tablet pc driver. Maybe the path of least resistance is to request an unlocked tablet pc driver from Wacom?

Thread Information