Surface Pro Introduction

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Surface Pro Introduction

I was finally able to find someone who could supply a few details about what was planned for the Surface Pro introduction on 9 February.

First of all, if you are fortunate enough to have a local Microsoft store, reservation cards for the Surface Pro should be available now! Although reserved quantities will likely vary from location to location, my local store has set aside 25 units and I was able to get a reservation card today. (Bronsky's toast, now!) So definitely touch base if you have a local store... and do it more than once. It took me two tries before people knew about the cards.

Although there were no details about a specific Saturday event (a la the Surface RT introduction), it was assumed that the stores would have some sort of celebration. As in October, my local store will be opening early on Saturday (8 AM rather than the regular time of 10 AM), and there will be provision for a line. The recently announced new Touch Cover and Mouse accessories will be on sale, too. I didn't think to ask about the AC adapter, however.

So the bottom line is that you should definitely check with your local store as details are sure to vary slightly from location to location.

If you discover details different from what I was told, be sure to add them to this thread...

(Sadly, no details yet about pre-order dates for those who are not near a Microsoft store...)

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: Surface Pro Introduction

I called the Houston store this morning and again after I read your message. They told me that they have no idea about the reservation cards. If I can't get one, I hope they open early since I have an exam that Saturday at 9am and it won't be over until 3.

Super Moderator

<<...They told me that they have no idea about the reservation cards...>>

I hate to suggest this, but it may be an issue of being there and asking in person. You may remember when the first set of Microsoft stores opened, they were offering 20% discounts, but based on the stories at the time, you couldn't get the discount over the phone; you had to go into the store *. I wonder if they are running the reservations the same way...?

* I was later told that Microsoft was using the discount as a lure to see what kind of walk-in traffic each location could potentially get; if that was true, then it would make sense that they would discourage phone orders and only honor the discount for people who were physically present in the stores...

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Called my local store, and the guy over the phone said he didn't know of anything, but maybe his boss would if I came in. Not sure if that's a "hey come in and we'll give you one" sort of hint, or if it would just be a wasted trip.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    <<...They told me that they have no idea about the reservation cards...>>

I hate to suggest this, but it may be an issue of being there and asking in person. You may remember when the first set of Microsoft stores opened, they were offering 20% discounts, but based on the stories at the time, you couldn't get the discount over the phone; you had to go into the store *. I wonder if they are running the reservations the same way...?

* I was later told that Microsoft was using the discount as a lure to see what kind of walk-in traffic each location could potentially get; if that was true, then it would make sense that they would discourage phone orders and only honor the discount for people who were physically present in the stores...
    Success! I drove down there expecting to be turned away but when I told them what I came for, they said no problem. The guy had a huge stack of about 40 cards. He said the stack was double the size on yesterday. Also, he printed me a receipt with my name on it and it says "preorder Microsoft surface pro 128".

Lastly, he said that there will be a bundle where you can get office 365 for 2 years plus the assure plan for $269. If you have a .edu email, you can get a 4 year license with assure and the price will be 80 bucks cheaper.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

care to say what store location?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

It was The Galleria in Houston, Texas.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Any discounts to be expected?

Super Moderator

<<...Any discounts to be expected?..>>

...None that I am aware of from Microsoft.

Comic Relief

It sure sucks to be 350 miles from the nearest Microsoft store!
    http://www.convertibletabletreview.com/
    Bilingual - Surface Pro 2 512GB and iPad Air 128GB - one must go according to momma

Thread Information