Why Surface Pro vs ASUS TF810 or Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro 700T1C ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Why Surface Pro vs ASUS TF810 or Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro 700T1C ?

I want one of these. Right now I cannot make up m mind. I met a guy here from Microsoft and he said the Surface Pro will give me between 5 and 7 hours working in Corel Painter or other graphics program. Not bad at all.

I read good things about the Samsung tablet, the Smart PC Pro and it has similar battery life and some claim to get very good pressure sensitivity with Painter and Photoshop.

Asus TF810 right now seems to have a problem with pressure sensitivity with Painter and Photoshop...but they say that when Wacom releases the driver then that problem will be mute. But the Asus will have a much longer battery life with and without the keyboard dock.

Being that Corel Painter is the sole reason I want one of these tablets...can anyone point me to a site that compares them...or is there someone here that can make the case for an artist for the Surface Pro. Right now the only drawback to the Surface Pro is that it has the 1080 resolution and I wonder, because the tablet is slightly smaller than the 11.6 Samsung and Asus..and even on those tablets some artist are saying that the UI is a bit tricky because some of the tool settings are hard to click on because they are so small.

Anyway....I would be grateful for any feedback anyone might be able to offer on this subject. Thank you.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: Why Surface Pro vs ASUS TF810 or Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro 700T1C ?

Well I decided to wait for the pro for a few reasons. First is the build quality. The ativ is powerful but the plastic creaks and it is cheaply made IMO. The surface rt has great build quality and you can tell that every aspect of the design was well thought out. I am also curious how well the 1080p screen will look on such a small display but we should be able to adjust the dpi to make the text more readable. Another thing about the ativ that pisses me off is the lack of battery inside the dock. Since the dock is so light, it can easily tip over when the tablet is docked. I chose the surface since it should fit easier in the hand (due to smaller dimensions) so it's more comfortable for me when studying around the house. I have not used the acer so I really can't comment on that one.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Thanks for you input on this thetruth1983...appreciate all the opinions I can get.

I just got the Samsung Ativ PC Pro 700t. Build is very solid for plastic, pretty impressed actually.

The battery life is awesome so far, 9 hours of life yesterday during the internet and using Pandora.

I am using an Lenovo stylus and the sensitivity is a huge improvement over the stock stylus. I am planning on using this for inking my notes from school in One Note.

I was going to wait for the Surface Pro but after the horrible battery life reviews and feeling how the RT version at the store felt, i just didn't like how it held in my hands with the beveled edges.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Viro

Super Moderator

<<...I would be grateful for any feedback anyone might be able to offer on this subject...>>

Michael: It sounds like you might be happier waiting a little longer for the Lenovo Helix (~1st Quarter 2013)

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Thanks Viro and Steve. I had never heard of the Helix. I like that it has more options, i3, i5, i7, and up to 8gb ram and 256 gb drive. I wonder if it is going to be in the price range of the Fujitsu T902 once you customize to the max. I will add that to the list to look at. Have you heard anything on the battery life?

Thank you both...doesn't look like this decision will be an easy one...but the Helix seems to raise the bar and opens the options to produce higher res sketches and use larger brushes with less lag. I will be interested to see all the price options on it.

Scribbler - Standard Member

i thought ATIV Smart PC Pro and Surface Pro has almost identical specification, therefore their battery life should be the same.

But no one else has reported 9 hrs before. Most report 4-5 hours of real world usage on the 700t. Just s heads up. It's most definitely not rated at 9 hrs by a long shot. Just sayin. The load must have been very light.
    Currently own:
    x230t Outdoor-- Win 7 x64, 256 GB SSD , 16 gb ram, 6-cell
    Thinkpad Tablet 2- Win 8.1, 64 GB SSD, 2 GB RAM

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902, q552

Outdoor Viewable Screens- Comparison Thread with Pics

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kevlee View Post
    i thought ATIV Smart PC Pro and Surface Pro has almost identical specification, therefore their battery life should be the same.
    I think the surface has a 42 watt battery while the Ativ has the 49 watt battery.

Super Moderator

<<...Have you heard anything on the battery life?..>>

(RE: Helix) Lenovo is claiming something like 4-5 hours when the in slate mode and 9-10 hours when plugged into the base unit (which has its own battery). Pretty impressive, but thick (almost 1") and heavy (~4 lbs) when in laptop mode...

Thread Information