Surface RT Discussion Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 40 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Surface RT Discussion Thread

Super Moderator

Default Surface RT Discussion Thread

It's only going to be a few more days before Surface RT is hands on. Feel free to post RT-specific comments and questions of general interest here.

Of course, you can also start an individual discussion thread if you want. This thread will be pinned to the top of the forum once it starts to develop.
    Last edited by Steve S; 10-19-2012 at 07:11 PM.

Super Moderator

Default Re: Surface RT Discussion Thread

Will Surface RT support pen input?

A close reading of the Surface RT spec sheet reveals an interesting line: "Pen Input - Capacitive pen..." Unfortunately, no other details are provided.

So, invoking the principle of "shame on me if I don't at least ask..." I called Microsoft's sales line and asked if Microsoft intended to sell a dedicated pen as a Surface RT accessory. The surprising answer was: Yes! According to the sales rep, the pen will be the same pen furnished with Surface Pro. Initial availability has not yet been set.

Since pen support has always been something of a mystery with Surface RT, I decided to double check this information. I started an online chart with another Microsoft rep... and essentially got the same answer! I'm not going to say that this definitively answers the question, but it is encouraging. Having championed pen input for years, it's nice to know that Microsoft apparently didn't throw it under the Surface RT bus...

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Well, I hope so, but I'm not holding my breath either. I mean, some of Microsoft's sales reps are also saying things like "the Surface RT has Windows 8 on it," and apparently two reps told a writer at The Verge "that I'd be able to install my Steam games on the Surface with Windows RT. One qualified that it would only work so long as I transfered them over USB."

With Surface looming, Microsoft fails to explain Windows 8 vs. Windows RT to consumers | The Verge

It sounds like they haven't been actually trained on anything related to this stuff yet. I suspect when they say "capacitive pen" in the specs, they just mean the same old type of capacitive stylus that is used on the iPad. I'd absolutely love to be wrong though.

Super Moderator

<<...I suspect when they say "capacitive pen" in the specs, they just mean the same old type of capacitive stylus that is used on the iPad...>>

Joe: I share your reservations. All I can say is that the sales rep on the telephone call seemed to have his act together, and didn't do any hemming or hawing.

Time will tell...

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Good to know about the pen.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

By capacitive pen, doesn't it mean those sausage pens? Nothing to be excited about. With Samsung pushing digital pen of late, one would have expected the surface RT to have a digitizer as a bonus feature. Wow! MS is really going after the iPad .

Pen Pro - Senior Member

To help out, here is a youtube channel with a lot of the videos on it.

Microsoft Surface - YouTube

Super Moderator

<<...To help out, here is a youtube channel with a lot of the videos on it...>>

M: Great that you are contributing, but I think this fits more properly in the Surface general discussion thread. I know that the topics will wonder around a bit, but this thread is intended specifically for Surface RT issues and discussion.

As we get closer to its launch, I'll put up a Surface Pro Discussion Thread, too. Hopefully, each of these threads will make it easy for folks to find the most noteworth bits of information on these new tablet entries...

Super Moderator

UPDATE2: OK; jhoff80 found the reference, again. I was looking at another version of the specs. In particular, the Pen Input entry says: "Capacitive pens available for purchase." Looking again at this wording, I'm inclined to agree with nnthemporer; they seem to be saying that existing third-party capacitive pens can be used if you want. A disappointment, for sure...

UPDATE1: Uh-oh... I just went back to the Surface web site to get a better handle on the words that described the "Pen Input," and the reference in the spec sheet is now gone! Maybe it was a mistake after all? I guess we're just going to have to continue to wait and see...

<<...By capacitive pen, doesn't it mean those sausage pens?..>>

nnthe: Yes, it certainly still could be; that's what I was trying to clarify. At the moment, I'm inclined to believe the Microsoft rep (that it's the Perceptive Pixel pen) if only because he had the answer immediately and mentioned that it wasn't yet available. That's not a lot to go on, but he just sounded like he knew what he was talking about!

For reference:

Welcome | Perceptive Pixel and...

Active Stylus
    Last edited by Steve S; 10-19-2012 at 10:25 PM.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Completely sold out online at Microsoft online store.

Thread Information