Do you use a screen protector? - Page 7

View Poll Results: Do you use screen protector?

Voters
179. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

66 36.87%
  • No

113 63.13%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Scribbler - Standard Member

Default Re: Do you use a screen protector?

I got so many scratches on my screen now without using a protector, that I won't bother buying a protector anymore. Half of the scratches came from right after I cleaned the LCD screen with a glasses cleaner cloth, which I think removed the layer of oil and dust and sweat that "protected" the screen prior.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by roypierce View Post
    I have tried a NuShield screen protector. It was easy to attach, but after using it for 15 minutes, i removed it. It did not cover the screen completely, about 1/2 mm of gap on each side of the screen. The writing and touch experiences were good, but what made me decide to remove it, was the glare and because you could quite good see the glue on the edges of the protector. Removing the protector did me realize how good the screen of the HI MT/VT really is, even when it is smudged easily. The anti glare capability of the screen is really very good. For me no screen protector any more.
    Exactly the same for me. At first I thought wow, no real impact on brightness or clarity, no more finger prints and it helped the grain a little.

But...it was totally unusable with any overhead light and it was a royal pita to install without hair/dust/fluff under it.

To top it all off you have an ugly strip of glue all the way around.

Why is it every product I seem to buy has a flaw?

Lenovo Thinkpad X61 Tablet Core 2 Duo L7500 1.6GHz 12.1 1400x1050 120.0G 2048MB DVD-Multiburner 56K Ethernet 10/100/1000 802.11a/b/g Bluetooth 8-cell Battery Ultrabse 1GB Turbo Memory

it's only there if you look for it

Pen Pal - Newbie

I just applied aboxwave antiglare screen protector and have an installation tip.

I f while installing you pick up dust and know that if you don't remove it, it will form a bubble, one way to remove it is to take some Scotch tape (the matte finish kind) and press the sticky side of the tape over the dust particles). Then peel off. It takes The dust particle(s) with it.

Someone asked, in this thread, why use a shield protector since surely the screen is made to be resilient? My reason is that I always get SOME scratches from time to time. You can remove and replace a scratched screen protector far more cheaply than replacing a scratchy screen I just applied the boxwave anti-glare. Yes, it does slightly cloud the screen, slightly. But you can just knotch up the screen brightness slightly to make up to this. I feel much mere confident with this on, that I wont damage the thing. And what others say is true, writing IS more pleasant on the protector from boxwave (or Clear Touch) than it was just against the screen.

Tom

Pen Pal - Newbie

I am the WriteShield anti-glare screen protector made for the X41.

I had the WriteShield already on my Toshiba m200 and I must say that I absolutely love the WriteShield protectors.

Here is why:

WriteShields are the only protectors that I ever succeeded in applying absolutely flawlessly without a single bubble. If carefully applied, you cannot even tell that it's not factory installed. I believe that's due to comparibly large thinkness and stiffness of WriteShields vs. other protectors. Also, the fact that they use no adhesive helps a lot. The material is designed such that it just sticks on the screen.

The protector for the X41 fits perfectly. There is a gap of maybe half a mm on each side, but the proctector does cover the whole lit area.

The "writing feeling" works well for me and it does not have significant glare. Brightness is also fine, I don't feel like there is a significant reduction.

With the WriteShield, I am now perfectly happy with the X61. Without, I was annoyed by the "smudge magnet" screen. On the WriteShield, dirt is much less visible and a lot easier to clean.

Thomas

Application tip for those with bubbles (from my cleartouch experience):

I would only recommend using the smoothing cards that come with the screen protector to get out the large bubbles or to push bubbles in the centre closer to the edges. I find that for smaller bubbles, you'd need to apply a lot more pressure than I was comfortable with.

Apply the screen as best you can, while keeping bubbles to a minimum or at least away from the centre of the screen. Push bubbles in the centre closer to the edges with smoothing card.

Starting with one corner, peel back the corner until you peel up all the bubbled sections in that area and hold onto it. If there are any dust particles causing the bubbles get rid of them now.

Then slowly let the corner of the screen protector back down against the screen while using your other hand to sweeping back and forth on the front of the protector as it makes contact using your fingers wrapped in the fibre cloth so you can slide across the plastic. Repeat with the other three corners and you're done.
    Last edited by requinox; 09-19-2007 at 03:35 PM.

i say writeshield is great, i applied it in first try and is working fabulously...
    the cleaning solution they gave me, is really good at cleaning my protector.

i suggest write shield screen protector,

Pen Pal - Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by P8RSON View Post
    This is one of the reasons in using a screen protector.
    I myself never used to use one but left it too late on a Tablet.

Never again.......
    It is now November and I am still doing great with no protector

I bought a screen protector (Capdase, iX Taku, $21.8, free labor for applying the protector which took about 15 mins, zero bubble, zero dust, hair,etc.) today.

It's got glossy (Crystal Clear) surface. Why glossy? It's because the shopkeeper told me there would be problem to apply another layer of matte screen protector over a matte screen. More pixel shifting will be seen. Don't be freaked out by this kind of glossy protector. I'm a big fan of 4:3 matte LCD screens. But I love this protector.

Yes, reflection sucks. But it's only obvious if there's light source at certain angle. So it doesn't really bother me much.

However the protector makes a huge difference for me to write on the screen. It's so smooth that I can write /draw beautifully on the screen.

You are strongly to put on a screen protector. Not only for protecting the screen, but it improves writing experience!!

I forgot to mention that this glossy screen protector greatly removed the pixel shifting effect (whatever it's called) that the bare screen has!

For those guys who insist on not to use a screen protector: DON'T say no until you really use it. It's much better than writing on a bare screen! TRUST ME.

EDIT: This morning I tried to carry my notebook near to a window and test the outdoor usability. As expecgted, I can hardly see the screen when it's facing the sunlight outside. So that means if you need to use the notebook outdoor, do not apply this kind of glossy (crystal clear) screen protector.
    Last edited by x60t; 11-23-2007 at 10:16 PM.

I just got my tablet, and despite my better judgment, forked over money for the Boxwave crystal. Expensive as it is, I really don't mind it at all. From my point of view, any complaint about the glare is comical. Sure it's there, but it's a fraction of what even a glossy LCD screen is, and truth be told, I don't even know it's there. It fits the screen pretty well, in landscape mode it goes from side to side and I have it all the way against the bottom edge by the keyboard. This leaves a 1mm gap or so from the top bezel but it seems that this is unavoidable regardless of screen protector. The image is clear, writing on screen is nice, smudges are not noticable when powered on and the screen brightness is fine and unaffected. I don't see why anyone would have trepidation with this thing. The installation takes 30 seconds and air bubbles were a non issue.

Bottom line, it's expensive but I'm glad I have it. I was anticipating buyer's remorse and compromises in daily use but see none. Why do people not like this thing? I don't know. Full screen coverage would be nice, and I could have found it cheaper, but that's life.

Thread Information