Clean install on X61t

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    lenovo X61t - FTW!

Default Clean install on X61t

Hi, my x61t will be arriving next wednesday and i was wanting to do a clean install right away before i even use the thing, i have never done this before on a lenovo/IBM with all the thinkvantage stuff which i want to keep, i want to keep everything except all of the bloat ware, i was wondering also if there was a way to do it without having to do a full clean install. But if there isnt can someone give me a step by step on how to do it? thanks alot.

skylar
    My X61T:

ThinkPad X Series Tablet (x61) - 7767A4U - A Lenovo Top Seller Selection

Configuration Type: Tablet
    Operating System: Genuine Windows Vista Business
    Processor: Intel® Core 2 Duo L7500 processor 1600MHz
    Memory (Ram): 1024MB (upgrading later to 2gb)
    Hard drive: 160GB (5400 rpm)
    Graphics: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
    Optical Drive: DVD Recordable w/ X6 Ultrabase 24X Max

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: Clean install on X61t

I think there's a software to take care of that, from Lenovo's website.
    Forgot what it was called though.

Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey skylar, congrats on the X61 order. I can understand your want for a clean install which I have done too but may I also suggest that if you are a first time tablet user like I that you might want to hold off. The reason is there is a lot of software out there to try out and a lot of settings to play with. With the initial setup of your new computer you can install all these applications and play with them as well as the lenovo ones to decide what you like and don't like.

After about a week of playing with these applications and you have decided what you like and hate then do the rescue and restore. To do this press the blue thinkvantage button at startup and let the console launch. Then goto recover, choose the factory option, and then choose "custom". Custom will allow you to choose what lenovo applications and such you want installed with vista. I removed some of the useless ones like MSN toolbar, Picasa, Diskkeeper, etc. After that continue through the setup.

Note: It took my computer about an hour and a half to completely restore. It rebooted many times and the resolution was messed up for most of it. On the final reboot the resolution will be fixed and everything should work fine.
    X60 - 1.5Ghz C2D, 2GB Ram, 120GB (5400rpm), ABGN wifi, 8-cell battery, SXGA+, X6 dock + CDR

you can also download BSA from lenovo and that allows you to alter the options that the custom restore gives you. However, it gives you full control so you can accidentally turn off stuff that is necessary for it to even do the install much less work correctly afterwards....it took me about 5 or 6 installs to figure out what things were "critical"...I made some more comments concerning this in this thread

Tablet Fan

I'm still very frustrated by the whole crap-ware removal process. I have two basic questions:

1) What is better, easier, and faster to do: a clean install or a custom/BSA install?

2) Can anyone do a comprehensive step by step cleaning process from start to finish?

The links many helpful people have provided point to bits and pieces that I'm trying to compile but most have pointed to the older X60 model. Because of the newer included options (e.g. Intel Turbo Memory), I was hoping someone could show the whole process from beginning to end exclusively on an X61t.

By the way, thanks for all the help that people have already provided!

Pen Pal - Newbie

whats the link to BSA?

Pen Pal - Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by swimmerxc View Post
    whats the link to BSA?

http://www.pc.ibm.com/us/think/thinkvantagetech.html

Quote Originally Posted by dp22 View Post
    I'm still very frustrated by the whole crap-ware removal process. I have two basic questions:

1) What is better, easier, and faster to do: a clean install or a custom/BSA install?

2) Can anyone do a comprehensive step by step cleaning process from start to finish?

The links many helpful people have provided point to bits and pieces that I'm trying to compile but most have pointed to the older X60 model. Because of the newer included options (e.g. Intel Turbo Memory), I was hoping someone could show the whole process from beginning to end exclusively on an X61t.

By the way, thanks for all the help that people have already provided!
    First off I have the X60 model but I really don't see how it could be that much different, I realistically should have the same exact software as you since I ordered my X60 and got it about 3-4 weeks ago. Some drivers might have changed but the software list does not factor in drivers.

This is exactly how I did my custom cleaning/install which even let me remove those Lenovo ads from the Control panel and such:
    1. Backup all data you want to keep since this will erase your OS and files
    2. Start/restart computer and press the Blue thinkvantage button
    3. Once the console loads click on "Restore Your System"
    4. Select choice #3 "Restore my hard drive to the original factory state"
    5. Select choice #4 "I do not want to save any files."
    6. Say OK to the dialogue box (make sure your X60/61 is plugged in)
    7. Hit Next on the window that pops up
    8. Accept the Terms and Conditions
    9. On the next screen select "Custom Factory recovery" (this allows you to choose the crapware to keep)
    10. Now there is a list of software, uncheck what you don't want. I personally REMOVED the following:
      • Google Picasa (I can always get it later if I need it)
      • Diskeeper Home (I will be using the Pro version which I will install)
      • Intervideo VirtualDrive (allows you to make "disk images" that act as CDs when you don't have your CD-rom/dock, useless...)
      • Message Center for ThinkPad (I don't care to hear about new lenovo offers...)
      • Leadertech Registration (Didn't use initially, don't know what it is.. prob don't need..)
      • Windows Live Toolbar (aka MSN toolbar, utter junk)
      • Norton Internet Security (using NOD32 AV from ESET - much lower resource use)
      • Norton Internet Security Virus Definition (not using Norton so I don't need this)
      • PC Doctor for Windows PE (never used it)
      • PC-Doctor for Windows (don't know what the difference is but didn't use it)
      • Presentation Director (as I heard this runs all the time in the background and I never do presentations)
      • System Migration Assistant Patch for Vista (erh I'm not migrating data so I didn't need, you might need?)
      • ThinkPad EasyEject Utility (I kept this because I have the X6 dock, you can remove this if you don't have the dock)
      • TVT - Welcome Message Applet (No idea what this is, don't see a difference without it..)
      • Vista - Lenovo welcome (I don't need a program that will be used once for nothing)
      • Vista-Gadgets Lenovo Essentials (I believe this is those Lenovo offers for products that appear in the control panel which are annoying)
      • Vista-OOBE Offer (No idea what this actually is but I'm fine without it)
    11. Then hit Next and say OK to the warnings that it will format your drive (It won't format all your drive just the OS part, the thinkvantage software will remain)
    12. Wait for it to copy files and click the reboot when the Dialogue box appears
    13. Let the setup run for a while (took my machine 1.5 hours)

For the last part while the machine is restoring itself the screen resolution will be horrendous (Ex: 1024x768 which is horrible on my SXGA+ might be fine on regular screens) the computer will also reboot MANY times, this is absolutely normal. The screen will remain that way until the final reboot where it will adjust itself and then ask you for your timezone and user account information. After it completes I suggest you make sure everything is working OK (IE: No huge error boxes popping up ) then immedietly run Windows Update followed by the System Update (the Lenovo software) if you installed it.

**ADDED after original posting***
    Once you have finished all this restoring and system updating install any base software that you would use no matter what and make a BACKUP image of your hard drive on a USB hard drive. To do this plugin the hard drive and goto the ThinkVantage tools under the Start Menu and choose "Rescue and Recovery". Then hit "Backup your Hard drive". Under the first option listed should be your internal hard drive so hit Preferences and choose your USB hard drive as the PRIMARY Backup location. Then hit Apply, then hit OK to begin a backup (Say "No" to the dialogue asking if you want to make the drive bootable). You can use this image later to restore the computer back to this point so you don't have to run through the 1.5 hours of windows configuring itself and all the updates and yada yada yada.

I hope this helps. If anyone knows what some of that above software does that I said I have no clue about please tell me and I will edit this post so others can make a more informed decision.
    Last edited by jpheisel; 06-21-2007 at 12:39 PM. Reason: forget to add the steps after selecting software
    X60 - 1.5Ghz C2D, 2GB Ram, 120GB (5400rpm), ABGN wifi, 8-cell battery, SXGA+, X6 dock + CDR

Tablet Fan

jpheisel,

Thank you for your post! I'll try it tomorrow when it's scheduled to arrive. I know you have the X60t so I hope there's not much of a difference from the X61t version.

Pen Pal - Newbie

I'll add another to the mix, John Robbins wrote a pretty good step by step that worked for me. You can find it here: http://www.wintellect.com/cs/blogs/j...-craplets.aspx

I'm not sure if I missed it or it was omitted but I need to install the wacom stuff to get the pen working. ymmv.

If you didn't get the ultrabase, I didn't, you'll have to get an external burner to save off rescue disks if you're making them. I ended up getting a External USB2 DL DVD from BestBuy so I didn't have to wait on shipping.

[Edit: This refers to the X60T and so does my experience, a bit quick on the copy/paste, sorry]
    Last edited by jeffrey.schoolcraft; 06-21-2007 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Updating reference from X61 to X60.

Thread Information