Multitouch or Superview

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Multitouch or Superview

I currently have a Superview on order (SXGA screen). I am still going back and forth in my mind though as to whether or not multitouch would be better for me.

One of my concerns is if I do not get the multitouch screen, is there an issue with resting my hand on the screen while writing? Will that screw it up?

I do a lot of remote support so I want the higher resolution so that my client's screen will fit inside of mine without having to scroll so much.

Thanks for any input.

Scribbler - Standard Member

Default Re: Multitouch or Superview

Here's a pretty extensive video review of the multitouch screen:
    http://www.gottabemobile.com/LenovoT...Ultrabase.aspx

To answer your main question about writing on the multitouch screen, no it will not mess it up. It senses when you are using the digitizer, and turns off the passive touch screen accordingly. The guy in the video talks about that at great length. I'll be getting an X60 with multitouch in the next few days, can't wait! Having the ability to navigate with my finger, if I should so desire, was worth the lower resolution to me. Especially if you're just reading and listening to some music. Hope this helps.

Warner

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I had no idea which one I wanted; every single day I woke up with a different opinion. I ended up having my girlfriend draw out of a hat for me. When she pulled out 'Super view- no multi touch' I felt sad and that made me realize that I truly wanted the multi-touch.

Science Fiction Writer

Perhaps multi-touch isn't a deciding factor. Having bought the multi-touch screen, I will say that being able to poke the screen occasionally to press a button is good. You're going to reserve writing to the pen though.

What you might want to think about is the Multi-view part of the screen. The lap top is very usable outdoors if you get the multi-touch, multi-view screen. From what I have heard, it has less trouble with smudges than the superview and works better outdoors. The res is lower, however. I like the mt/mv, though. I've posted pictures on the blog page of my X61 Tablet page (see my signature below).
    Ease of use!
    ------------
    Dell 8500 2.4gHz, WUXGA 15.4 , 2GB (retiring)
    X61 tablet 7764CTO, L7500, 12.1MV+MT XGA+TFT, 4GB, AGBN, Verizon Sierra CDMA 2000, Vista Ult 32
    ------------
    http://www.luiswatkins.com/x61/x61tabletmain.htm

Pen Pal - Newbie

I can't believe that Multitouch should require that much pressure. I will do plenty of web surfing, and want to use touch for that. I hope there is some further calibration that can be done so we can use it like the videos we have seen on GBM. At least that's what I want to believe....

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I went for the SXGA+ because I wanted the screen real estate it offered. XGA is a low resolution and I can't deal with it - I feel too limited by low resolutions in what I can do.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

If you check out online videos of other users the finger input looks much better than SFWrtr describes. I see no screen wobbling from the demo's.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by thaluckyspoon View Post
    If you check out online videos of other users the finger input looks much better than SFWrtr describes. I see no screen wobbling from the demo's.
    It sounds like he is trying to use the meat of his finger to press things. Using a fingernail gets much better results on the touch screens I've tried.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ensoll View Post
    It sounds like he is trying to use the meat of his finger to press things. Using a fingernail gets much better results on the touch screens I've tried.
    Yea it sounds like it to me as well. I use the tip of my fingernail here at work on our HP Touchsmart PC. I don't see a reason to even want to have the ability to use the fat of your finger; It only makes the screen greasy and shortens its life span.

If you haven't decided on multi-touch yet imagine this. You lose your pen and the shipping will take 3 business days. With multi-touch you can grab anything and write with it almost (but not quite) as well as you could with the digitizer.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by thaluckyspoon View Post
    Yea it sounds like it to me as well. I use the tip of my fingernail here at work on our HP Touchsmart PC. I don't see a reason to even want to have the ability to use the fat of your finger; It only makes the screen greasy and shortens its life span.

If you haven't decided on multi-touch yet imagine this. You lose your pen and the shipping will take 3 business days. With multi-touch you can grab anything and write with it almost (but not quite) as well as you could with the digitizer.
    Good point. I guess I should have considered this before, and it's probably a stupid question, but how do you RIGHT-CLICK in tablet mode? With the little button on the pen? Obviously you can't with touch.

Thread Information