Thinkpad Tablet 3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Thinkpad Tablet 3

Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Thinkpad Tablet 3

Is there any word on when the Thinkpad Tablet 3 will release? I'm contemplating using single machine for everything, and while I like just about everything about the current tablet, it needs a bit more power if it's to replace my X220. I'm hoping Haswell's energy characteristics mean it'll be in next gen tablets. Afaik, know no Haswell tablets have been launched yet.

I'd also appreciate any comments on consolidating the tablet and notebook to one device. Is it a good idea or not? My usage is 95% internet, email, MS Office. Right now I'm only using the X220. It's served me exceptionally well with it's portability and battery life, and ability to drive a large high-res monitor. The alternative is to keep the X220 and get an iPad (which means the X220 will be end up being docked a lot of the time). As someone that has never owned a tablet, I'd appreciate all of your feedback.

Wait and Hope.

Default Re: Thinkpad Tablet 3

If there is a TPT3, it would likely be a Bay Trail Atom device. I use a Thinkpad X301 at my desk and a Fuji Q552 as note taker in the office and for everything on the road. If Bay Trail performs as Intel suggests, it might be powerful enough in its quad core configuration. I'm skeptical. I think Haswell "Y" series units will power serious hybrids. A Haswell Helix might be a better option for you.

I've given the one device concept a lot of thought and am starting to think that a more powerful notebook hybrid and small (8") tablet might be a better combination. The 8" tablet will primarily rely upon Wacom pen input.
    Thinkpad X301 | Asus Note 8 | Nokia 928

Scribbler - Standard Member

The ThinkPad Tablet 3 won´t come until Q1 2014, thats for sure.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I'd buy a tablet from a company that knows how to make tablets well.
    Primary tablet: Legendary Fujitsu Lifebook T5010

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    I'd buy a tablet from a company that knows how to make tablets well.
    I agree. Don't buy them from companies that don't know how to make tablets well. Buy them from companies that make good products.

I know you detest your x230t, Zero, but it does seem that many others have had very good experiences with the newer Tablet 2 and Helix. Have you tried either of them?
    Currently own:
    x230t Outdoor-- Win 7 x64, 256 GB SSD , 16 gb ram, 6-cell
    Thinkpad Tablet 2- Win 8.1, 64 GB SSD, 2 GB RAM

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902, q552

Outdoor Viewable Screens- Comparison Thread with Pics

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    I agree. Don't buy them from companies that don't know how to make tablets well. Buy them from companies that make good products.

I know you detest your x230t, Zero, but it does seem that many others have had very good experiences with the newer Tablet 2 and Helix. Have you tried either of them?
    12.5" is already kind of small for me. Even if the Helix and Tablet 2 had better digitizer performance than the X230t they wouldn't suit me. If the Helix was around 13-14" I would have given it a try since I heard the digitizer is better than the X220t/X230t.

I've become an even bigger fan of Fujitsu because of the failings of Lenovo. I think I spent a total of $1400-$1500 on my X230t (that's including a coupon and buying upgrades myself when they were on sale) and I regret it.
    Instead of buying an X230t , I should have been patient and bought a T902 when it came out. I don't want people to make the same mistake I did. With that being said , old things can be way better than new things.

The used T5010s that sell on Ebay for ~$200 are nicer to write or draw on than my X230t. Who would have thought that a tablet from 2008 would easier to work on ( and more accurate) than a 2012 tablet that carried the legendary ThinkPad name?
    Last edited by Zero; 09-02-2013 at 06:41 PM.
    Primary tablet: Legendary Fujitsu Lifebook T5010

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Although I love my TPT2 I think I would be VERY hesitant to buy another tablet from Lenovo again. They are horrible at driver updates, and the TPT2 has had some pretty critical issues that they have just blatantly ignored. I semi follow the other tablet manufacturers drivers because sometimes they can be used on the TPT2 and most other tablet makers are fairly good with driver updates. It's a shame because I think the TPT2 is really the best Atom tablet out there.

The other option is a Haswell surface Pro 2, but I worry that it will be the same thickness and weight of the Pro 1. Why MS doesn't put it's weight behind BayTrail is really beyond me.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by spinedoc77 View Post
    Although I love my TPT2 I think I would be VERY hesitant to buy another tablet from Lenovo again. They are horrible at driver updates, and the TPT2 has had some pretty critical issues that they have just blatantly ignored. I semi follow the other tablet manufacturers drivers because sometimes they can be used on the TPT2 and most other tablet makers are fairly good with driver updates. It's a shame because I think the TPT2 is really the best Atom tablet out there.

The other option is a Haswell surface Pro 2, but I worry that it will be the same thickness and weight of the Pro 1. Why MS doesn't put it's weight behind BayTrail is really beyond me.
    Yea I have a similar feeling. And after experiencing such a sleek and light device, I cannot risk using any other size. But just like you I'm living in such a dilemma for buying another Lenovo device, though I'm really happy with TPT2.
    Microsoft Surface Pro 3 - i5/8Gb
    Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 - 367927U

Scribbler - Standard Member

Quote Originally Posted by spinedoc77 View Post
    Obvious isn't it - BT is not a 'do it all' SoC. It's still waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind an i5.
    | Tablets/Convertibles| Lenovo Tablet2 | Microsoft Surface 2 Pro | Sony Duo13 | Glorified Remotes| Apple Retina Mini |
    | Digitiser Monitors | Wacom Cintiq22HDT 24HDT |

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vogelbung View Post
    Obvious isn't it - BT is not a 'do it all' SoC. It's still waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind an i5.
    Yeah it is, but why not have the Surface RT, the Surface (Bay Trail fanless) and the Surface Pro (Haswell). Atom is definitely good enough for a secondary device, but it will not replace your main computer, I don't think I'd last a day with the TPT2 as my only Windows device.
    Tablet: Stylistic Q584 | Z3770 | 4 GB RAM | 128 GB | 2560x1600 | GPS | NFC
    Notebook: M6700 | i7-3720qm | 32 GB DDR3 | 2x240 GB SSD + 256 GB mSATA | Firepro M6000 | 1920x1080
    Desktop: DIY | i7-2600K | 16 GB DDR3 |256 GB SSD + 3 TB HDD | GTX570

Thread Information