Thinkpad Tablet 3 - Page 14

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Thinkpad Tablet 3

Comic Relief

Default Re: Thinkpad Tablet 3

Sure got quiet around here - is the tryptophan working overtime or something? Or have we just lost interest in TPT3. Having another week under my belt with the TPT2W81 upgrade, I have to say I am still lusting for a Bay Trail unit. Although I am glad to have a tablet, WACOM, and OneNote back in action, it does have a few random slowdowns, and a real problem if I store my OneNote notebooks off-device (as on our network server). Off-device is great for sharing with my uber-laptop (Acer Aspire V7-528-6124; there are so many models, with such inferior specs, that I like to let people know the exact model in case they are looking for used bargains out there), it often chokes the TPT2 version of OneNote - even had to reinstall once.

I sure hope that the wait for 64-bit Windows 8.1 is worth it, and Lenovo opts for stealing more of my money than cheaping-out on Bay Trail. I am convinced what we need is the high end Bay Trail, 4GB ram, 128GB SSD (meh on eMMC), USB 3, LTE/GPS option, 1080 screen option - ALL IN THE SAME FORM FACTOR!

While you're at it Lenovo:

(1) license Samsung's S-Pen (even though it is even smaller than yours, it works even better - I bought two used off eBay and they work great on the TPT2) - will give you a little more internal space without the rounded left edge;

(2) SHRINK THE BEZELS! - I'd bet you could do 10.6" 16:10 in the same physical space;

(3) full size SDXC card slot - PLEASE! (much easier to share photos, and quick cheap additional 128GB storage);

(4) make rotation lock a switch instead of a button; and

(5) make your keyboard more of a dock with stronger attachment points and extra battery capacity.
    http://www.convertibletabletreview.com/
    Surface Pro 3 i5/8GB/256GB(SSD)/128GB(SDXC)

Wait and Hope.

What he said!
    Thinkpad X301 | Asus Note 8 | Nokia 928

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Number 3 is a must and not even sure why we are going this route with large tablets and notebooks, seeing as mobile devices are now slowly doing away with microsd cards; So there is no reason for not having a full size SD slot.

I would agree with number 2, but I get the feeling they will have it there saying its so you can grip it without touching the screen.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Allow me to add 'eraser on the stylus' to the wish list. I don't understand there are even Wacom styli without this!

Comic Relief

Quote Originally Posted by bloodycape View Post
    Number 3 is a must and not even sure why we are going this route with large tablets and notebooks, seeing as mobile devices are now slowly doing away with microsd cards; So there is no reason for not having a full size SD slot.

I would agree with number 2, but I get the feeling they will have it there saying its so you can grip it without touching the screen.
    Apple shrunk the left and right bezels on the Airhead, and just use software to compensate - Lenovo and others could (and likely will) do the same eventually. Just think how much more screen you could get in the same carcass by doing that in all four directions! I know Microsoft will never give us 4:3, but 16:10 is a nice improvement over 16:9, believe it or not, when it comes to portrait viewing. It is the one thing where Apple is SO FAR AHEAD of the pack with 4:3 - reading letter size documents (or magazine pages) is a pure joy over the slavish devotion of all the others to 16:9 for video playback sake.

I almost put full SDXC on the must list as well, but I think manufacturers are fearful of having their storage options completely trumped by the convenience of full size 128GB SDXC (as low as $94 on Amazon for PNY) and if you have ice water running in your veins, you can do 256GB for a "mere" $499. I'm afraid it is going to be a cold day in a very hot place before we even SEE 128GB in mSDXC.
    Last edited by dstrauss; 12-04-2013 at 01:47 PM.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Yeah I'm on the TPT3 list as well, I can't believe not even a peep out of them. My money is as good as spent, they just need to take it. Do we have it on good authority that it will be 64bit? Or is that just rumor? That would be pretty sweet, especially with an option for at least 4gb ram which I'd be happy with.

Comic Relief

Quote Originally Posted by spinedoc77 View Post
    Yeah I'm on the TPT3 list as well, I can't believe not even a peep out of them. My money is as good as spent, they just need to take it. Do we have it on good authority that it will be 64bit? Or is that just rumor? That would be pretty sweet, especially with an option for at least 4gb ram which I'd be happy with.
    Pretty strong rumor at this point. It was reported (somewhere) that a Lenovo VP confirmed Lenovo and Microsoft were working together on a 64bit version of Windows 8.1 for Lenovo's upcoming TPT3 - of course, no confirmation of any kind as to the specs of the TPT3 - that's just my wish list talking It would seem to be a total waste to work on a 64bit OS version and not open up 4GB ram on the device.

Like you - my AMEX card is all but swiped-in-wait for the TPT3 (I really feel it will be a better bet than the Fuji Q584, but at least the Q584 ain't vaporware at this point).

Moving 'up' from iPAQ

Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss View Post
    * Snip

I really feel it will be a better bet than the Fuji Q584, but at least the Q584 ain't vaporware at this point....* Snip
    The high resolution screen of the Q584 sounds very interesting as well as the water and dust proofness (a word?), and the drop spec conformance is all something I have actually used (embarrassed). But the white plastic does not excite me...in fact it looks like an eye-device and I am already tired of people asking me if my device is an ipad so, no, no white machine for me.

The TPT3 will likely follow the TPT2 lead but I figure it will be 16:9 again.

To me the manufacturers are hunting around the sweet spot again like one of those cones you drop pennies in. Why can't they just make the stupid thing in the bullseye? 16:10, 10.1", Wacom, black, small bezel, replaceable battery, and 128 GB SSD? What's the problem??? Frustrated again...I think I need a coffee break!
    regards,

Dan
    Doing the device shuffle again:
    *New* ThinkPad i7 Helix pressed into daily service as of 4-Aug-2014 - phenomenal cosmic power?
    HP Elitepad 1000 - my former main device - do I keep this or my V8P as my sidekick now
    Dell Venue 8 Pro - my ultra mobile device (I cannot believe where I can stick this thing)

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by spinedoc77 View Post
    Is there really any benefit in the wait for the 64bit version if 4GB of RAM is likely to be the max? The real benefit of running a 64bit OS come when you have over 4GB of memory, which is unlikely to be the case for a Bay Trail tablet aimed at a lower price point and if more RAM were added raising the cost wouldn't it make more sense to have a full blown iCore CPU? I don't really think there is much justification for OEM'S to wait when the full benefit is unlikely to be seen in W8.1 tablets, might as well just go with the current 32bit OS and get devices out there.

Thinkpad or Bust

Well I pulled the trigger on the Thinkpad Yoga with Wacom.

Screw waiting for the TPT3. I will just get a companion device to stay ultra mobile. Goodbye Macbook 2008.

Thread Information