Thinkpad Tablet 2 - 3 months in - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Thinkpad Tablet 2 - 3 months in

  1. #11
    Pen Pro - Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    601
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Thinkpad Tablet 2 - 3 months in

    Quote Originally Posted by gcoupe View Post
    I suspect it depends on what standpoint you take for productivity. I can understand that for some, e.g. artists and avid readers, 16:9 is not a ratio that reflects well on the traditional objects they interact with (e.g. sketchpads and books). However, speaking only for myself, I can't say that it bothers me in the slightest.
    At the office, I work on rather large Excel spreadsheets, Word documents as well as running FEM simulations. All those tasks benefit from more desktop real estate. It's not as much a matter aspect ration than one of vertical pixel count. When you get to the lower resolutions like 1366x768, it's where it starts to hurt in comparison to 16:10 and 4:3 aspect ratios. YMMV of course.
    Tablet: Stylistic Q584 | Z3770 | 4 GB RAM | 128 GB | 2560x1600 | GPS | NFC
    Notebook: M6700 | i7-3720qm | 32 GB DDR3 | 2x240 GB SSD + 256 GB mSATA | Firepro M6000 | 1920x1080
    Desktop: DIY | i7-2600K | 16 GB DDR3 |256 GB SSD + 3 TB HDD | GTX570

  2. #12
    Pen Pro - Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    471
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Thinkpad Tablet 2 - 3 months in

    At the office, I'd probably go for a scenario of docking my TPT2 and using a larger external monitor...

  3. #13
    Scribbler - Standard Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    59
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Thinkpad Tablet 2 - 3 months in

    Quote Originally Posted by zendragon View Post
    Sorry, a little off topic, but, does the 16:9 aspect ratio have any benefit at all? I'm starting to think, if PC manufacturers got their heads out of their, well, when BayTrail comes out, we could alleviate the need for iPads altogether.

    Anyway, I love the review, but I agree with seaturn here. I'm in the group that is just waiting for something better, especially in the aspect ratio we're being forced to take.
    I've slowly grown used to the widescreen aspect ratio. I much prefer the paper like feel of an iPad or my old M1400. I will tolerate the widescreen on the TPT2 due to the small size and lightness of the device. I've found that I just can't get used to using the device in portrait. That said Windows 8 makes really good use of the widescreen with its snap features. I love being able to use a web browser with onenote docked to the side to take notes and clippings as I go.

    On the power side of things - the TPT2 really shines as a onenote/office device but is quite weak on multimedia - video of nearly any kind. This has been the way for all my tablet PCs. Lately I've been comparing the TPT2 to a galaxy note 8. The note is fine for browsing and video but quite weak at inking. Hopefully BayTrail or a small Haswell tablet will give us the best of all worlds.

  4. #14
    Scribbler - Standard Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    59
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Thinkpad Tablet 2 - 3 months in

    Quote Originally Posted by seaturn View Post
    "The battery life, stylus, 3g, and weight meet my needs"

    ecoeco, do you use Lenovo Mobile service? If yes, can you give more details - coverage, speed etc. For me it might be one of the factor to buy ThinkPad.
    Thank you.
    I use a standard sim which I was previously using in an iPad which works fine. Sorry cant comment on the Lenovo mobile offering

  5. #15
    Scribbler - Standard Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    59
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Thinkpad Tablet 2 - 3 months in

    Quote Originally Posted by cstablet View Post
    Eco, do you mind sharing the model number you got? You seem to have a model with LTE/3G support. I've discovered a pdf file that lists all the models. They all start with 3679-xxx. The last three places differentiates the models. Model like 22U, 5HU, 5YU, etc. seem to be newer.

    Thanks for your info.


    My unit is a 3679-A13. I ordered it directly from lenovo. I hope this helps.

  6. #16
    Pen Pro - Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    601
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Thinkpad Tablet 2 - 3 months in

    Quote Originally Posted by ecoeco View Post
    On the power side of things - the TPT2 really shines as a onenote/office device but is quite weak on multimedia - video of nearly any kind. This has been the way for all my tablet PCs. Lately I've been comparing the TPT2 to a galaxy note 8. The note is fine for browsing and video but quite weak at inking. Hopefully BayTrail or a small Haswell tablet will give us the best of all worlds.
    I am indeed having problems with some of my .mkv files (MPC-HC), my .mp4 files play just fine though. I suspect it might have to do with the bitrate, but I haven't done a thorough check.
    Tablet: Stylistic Q584 | Z3770 | 4 GB RAM | 128 GB | 2560x1600 | GPS | NFC
    Notebook: M6700 | i7-3720qm | 32 GB DDR3 | 2x240 GB SSD + 256 GB mSATA | Firepro M6000 | 1920x1080
    Desktop: DIY | i7-2600K | 16 GB DDR3 |256 GB SSD + 3 TB HDD | GTX570

  7. #17
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Thinkpad Tablet 2 - 3 months in

    Quote Originally Posted by tijo View Post
    I am indeed having problems with some of my .mkv files (MPC-HC), my .mp4 files play just fine though. I suspect it might have to do with the bitrate, but I haven't done a thorough check.
    i had a similar issue, the LAV filters resolved it. - 1f0.de open-source in a closed world | Comments, Storys and Updates about open-source and my work in it

  8. #18
    Pen Pro - Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,224
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Thinkpad Tablet 2 - 3 months in

    Quote Originally Posted by ecoeco View Post
    I've slowly grown used to the widescreen aspect ratio. I much prefer the paper like feel of an iPad or my old M1400. I will tolerate the widescreen on the TPT2 due to the small size and lightness of the device. I've found that I just can't get used to using the device in portrait. That said Windows 8 makes really good use of the widescreen with its snap features. I love being able to use a web browser with onenote docked to the side to take notes and clippings as I go.

    On the power side of things - the TPT2 really shines as a onenote/office device but is quite weak on multimedia - video of nearly any kind. This has been the way for all my tablet PCs. Lately I've been comparing the TPT2 to a galaxy note 8. The note is fine for browsing and video but quite weak at inking. Hopefully BayTrail or a small Haswell tablet will give us the best of all worlds.
    I love the widescreen mode, IMO it's nicer than the ipad's ratio for web browsing especially. I do agree that portrait is funky, but it's actually kind of nice for annotating and handwriting on documents. I've never had an issue with video though, other than the pathetically low volume, but any video I've thrown at it plays with no issues.

  9. #19
    Scribbler - Standard Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    phoenix
    Posts
    61
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Thinkpad Tablet 2 - 3 months in

    eco,
    Thanks for the review, it helps with the decision I have been pondering.
    I have been looking at the TPT2 for an upgrade from my TPT1.
    I have not had any real problems with my TPT however, I use it in the field and
    the problem for me has been I take notes then go back to my truck and do reports on a windows 7 Tablet (Fujitsu T900) or use my T900 on the jobsite (not my favorite thing do to size and expense to replace)
    This creates a 2 step process,which I would love to skip and that is where the Windows 8 TPT2 comes in, do reports (mostly Excel although there is some other windows based programs as well) with the device and only return to the printer in the truck to print the completed reports.

    In my opinion, no other device would give me the combination that I am looking for, Stylus, able to run windows programs (including many
    specialty softwares) and interconnect with any windows peripherals that I may encounter with the drivers being available.
    I will still have the T900 for the power hogs but it can remain on my desk most of the time, if I am correct.
    Your review looks to support this thought process, so thank you.

    Terry
    Terry Mc
    Fujitsu T900 w/ intel i7 m620 processor, 8GB ram, 840 SAMSUNG series 500 GB drive, and windows 7 64 bit PRO.

    Lenovo TPT-2 w/ windows 8.1 1130 driver and 1.32 bios

  10. #20
    Pen Pro - Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    441
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Thinkpad Tablet 2 - 3 months in

    Quote Originally Posted by philo View Post
    What resolution mkv files did you use? I installed the latest K-lite codec pack (I know these are pretty bad, but I don't have problems on my i3), which has the latest LAV filters. I tried playing a 720 mkv file, plays fine for a few minutes then starts to have audio sync problems, then just stutters. Seems to be a buffering issue with the player (WMP). I tried VLC and it played a heck of a lot better, but again after a bit I would start to see artifacts then it would just die.
    Microsoft Surface Pro 128 | Nokia Lumia 920
    HP tm2t Core i3 | HTC Fuze > Nokia Lumia 900
    HP dv5000us Core2Duo Penryn | Moto SLVR L7
    Gateway CX210X CoreDuo

 

 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:05 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1