Thinkpad Helix

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinkpad Helix

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Thinkpad Helix

This is the first tablet I've seen that even comes close to matching the Surface Pro in terms of my desire for it. I think I'm still leaning towards the Surface, but this thing looks great:

Lenovo ThinkPad Helix tablet / laptop hybrid gets a power-up when it docks | The Verge

Not only does the 11.6-inch Windows 8 touchscreen tablet come with a bright 400-nit screen at full 1080p resolution, with up to a Core i7 processor, 8GB of memory, 256GB of solid state storage inside, but when you click the tablet into the keyboard dock, a special cooling system in the hinge allows the machine overclocks the Intel processor — giving it the headroom it needs to really fly. There's even built-in 4G LTE connectivity, and an active Wacom stylus pen in an actual slot. here's NFC support so you can activate things by tapping phones or tags to the device, and a Kensington lock slot built into the tablet's locking mechanism, letting you keep both halves of the tablet firmly attached to a security point. Lenovo says the Helix is good for 10 hours of battery life, too, with five hours from the tablet's internal cells and five more from the keyboard.
    Apparently starting at $1499 and available in February.

Also, 3.68 pounds with the dock, 1.84 pounds for just the tablet.
    http://www.pcper.com/news/Mobile/CES...nd-Flip-Design

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/06/l...elix-official/
    Last edited by jhoff80; 01-06-2013 at 06:28 PM.

Wait and Hope.

Default Re: Thinkpad Helix

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    This is the first tablet I've seen that even comes close to matching the Surface Pro in terms of my desire for it. I think I'm still leaning towards the Surface, but this thing looks great:
    My thoughts exactly. I like Thinkpads. I use an X301 now. My only problem with the Helix is its display size. The 11.6" tablets I've held are all too big for me. Even the 10" Surface display is bigger than I would have liked but I think I can live with it.

The Helix is tempting though. The keyboard looks great and the glass trackpad looks incredible. The overclock cooling sounds innovative as well.
    Last edited by Bronsky; 01-06-2013 at 06:56 PM.
    THINKPAD X301 | ASUS Note 8 | NOKIA 928

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I wish it was 10" too. Holding anything larger in portrait mode is really awkward.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Lenovo ThinkPad Helix tablet / laptop hybrid gets a power-up when it docks | The Verge

Having a close look at the picture gallery I can see several places where the plastic case does not fit we'll and is lifting. This used to be a major problem with Lenovo and I hope they have this problem ironed out before they start shipping.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I have a X230 and thus would like helix to have similar size but with a stylus and a touch screen (x230t is too thick). 10" is not comfortable for pdf reading for me.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Also, oops, I didn't realize there was already an old thread for it.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Actually the older thread was based on the early rumor, it might not be a bad idea to focus discussion on the official specifications in the new thread. Not sure how to make that happen though.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
    Actually the older thread was based on the early rumor, it might not be a bad idea to focus discussion on the official specifications in the new thread. Not sure how to make that happen though.
    Done. Let's just do it. So I'm hearing that it comes with 8 GB RAM, which is awesome. Assuming I can pair this with a nice i7 and the keyboard isn't too small for my big hands, I think this is a sure winner for me, if it is Wacom enabled. While the surface is definitely a contender, I was not too impressed with either keyboard cover in actual use. I also doubt it will be nearing 10 hours of battery life. Honestly, a dock able keyboard with additional battery was what made the Asus transformer the first successful android device. It will make this device just as successful for the same reasons. The fact that this also has ports and a stylus are just bonuses. The only think which might deter me is if Asus somehow announces a transformer book with stylus and/or dedicated graphics.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

With a base price of $1,499, what do you think a fully loaded one will be?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Looks like I may be replacing my Thinkpad Tablet 2 with this when it inevitably comes out! I doubt it'll be out by February knowing Lenovo's track record (the TPT2 was delayed 2 months) but who knows.

Thread Information