USB port problems with TP2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default USB port problems with TP2

I received my TP2 tablet for work today. I like the size and build quality, but I discovered a serious flaw. The USB port on the tablet will only accept a USB thumbdrive and not an external USB HDD or an external USB DVD/CD drive. I was going to install Office 2010 and after plugging in the non-powered DVD drive realized the TP2 was not reading it. The same thing happened when I tried my Seagate USB HDD. Both of these devices work with the Samsung 500t, 700t, ASUS 810 and the Envy x2. I contacted Lenovo tech support and sure enough, the TP2 does not have the power to run these external devices. I was told the only way they would work is if the TP2 is docked in the $100 external desktop dock and the external devices would have to run through that. I also tried to plug in my ThinkPad USB keyboard and that doesn't work either. What good is a built in USB port if it can only be used for a thumbdrive? This is an absolute deal breaker for my company because we would need to connect to these type of external devices in the field and there is no way we are lugging that huge desktop dock around just to use simple USB peripherals.

Ours are going back and we will have to decide on a different tablet. Certainly Lenovo tech support could be wrong, but we have tested on several tablets and no go. I can't even load Office because there aren't any desktop docks in stock to order anyway. Hopefully you guys are having better luck, but if you haven't tried to connect these types of external devices and will need the capability I would suggest testing it now before your return Window runs out.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Re: USB port problems with TP2

I can confirm this is happening as well on mine. Kinda of surprised. Usb keys work but no external notebook drive.

Scribbler - Standard Member

I should receive mine today, but here

http://www.lenovo.com/shop/emea/cont...ABLET2DSEN.pdf

You can read this
    "The ThinkPad® Tablet 2 comes with a full-size USB port and
    supports all Microsoft® Windows® drivers to connect to external
    USB drives, monitors, printers, cameras, DVD burners,
    mice and keyboards."

Lenovo should do something to remedy this. Perhaps send a free dock.

False advertising?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Yep. All of their videos state that as well. I don't have the time to wait for a dock just so I can install Office 2010, not to mention I use an external HDD every day. I just finished testing 3 other USB HDD's and none of them work. 2 are USB 2.0 and the other 2 are 3.0. my DVD burner is 2.0.This is ridiculous. Hope you guys have the time and patience to wait for a fix, but I don't. I thought my ASUS 810 had issues, but at least I can plug any device into it that I want.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I just found another bug on all of the Atom W8 tablets. If you calibrate the digitizer touch settings through the Tablet PC Settings in the Desktop control panel you lose touch functioning with the W8 charm menu. If you reset the calibration for touch it starts working again. No problems on my Samsung 700t, it works fine after calibrating both. Pen calibration seems to not mess anything up on the Atom tablets though.

Scribbler - Standard Member

This alone won't make me return it, since I will mostly work from thumbdrives or the cloud, but I suggest we put a list of people that got the tpt2 together and collectively complain of this deficiency. The least they can do to remedy this is to send a free dock.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

What about mice ?

ƒ(x) / fashion

Quote Originally Posted by Techgeek32 View Post
    The USB port on the tablet will only accept a USB thumbdrive and not an external USB HDD or an external USB DVD/CD drive.
    Did you try plugging your external HD to a power outlet? Maybe the TPT2's USB cannot power the drive, but if the drive is getting power from the wall outlet, it would work. Not ideal, but less worse....
    Hi! I'm a Tablet PC and I'm not a goddamn toy.
    HP TC1100 > HP TM2 > ThinkPad Helix or ThinkPad 10
    Lumia 625 > Galaxy Note 3 Neo

WPrime/WEI benchmarks for TabletPCs
    ThinkPad 10: Compendium (tips, hacks, accessories)
    New User Guide for Samsung Series 7 Slate

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I don't use USB mice so cat answer that. Lenovo will not give free $100 docks to anyone. That seems fair but that won't happen. My company will take our business elsewhere to remedy the situation. Good luck.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by e-schreiber View Post
    Did you try plugging your external HD to a power outlet? Maybe the TPT2's USB cannot power the drive, but if the drive is getting power from the wall outlet, it would work. Not ideal, but less worse....
    None of my HDD are powered and they are all current devices. I tried a powered DVD burner it spooled up at least but still wasn't recognized by the tablet.

Thread Information