USB port problems with TP2 - Page 5

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Re: USB port problems with TP2

Quote Originally Posted by Techgeek32 View Post
    I don't have one unfortunately and I just did a search on Amazon. You will be hard pressed to find either a fully powered dvd burner or a fully powered external hard drive. They all run off of USB, some have the Y cable but that didn't work with my TP2, but most of the external hard drives just come with one small USB cable and no Y connector. This is crazy.
    Has anyone tried using the devices through a powered USB hub?

Scribbler - Standard Member

I have just successfully used my external 1TB USB hard drive and external USB DVD burner by plugging them into a USB "Y" cable. One of the other ends of the cable gets plugged into the TPT2 and finally the other gets plugged into a standard USB power adapter similar to what comes with most smart phones or even the TPT2 itself. Both the HDD & DVD burner were recognized and worked properly. This is a workaround at best, but at least is better than nothing. Hopefully Lenovo can put out an update that will allow the single USB port to output more power and this will not be necessary.

This is my USB DVD burner and the USB cable that came with it is the one making everything possible. I did have to use a mini USB to micro USB adapter to make it work with my USB 3.0 1TB ext. HDD though. Hope this helps some of you out there:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827151262

P.S. I haven't tried a powered USB hub yet but I am thinking that it should work similar to what I rigged up.

Examples of cable:
    Example #1

Example #2
    Last edited by 150pilot; 01-07-2013 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Added Links

Pen Pro - Senior Member

This means not only we have to carry the cabe every where, also that "every where" needs to have power outlet.
    Microsoft Surface Pro 3 - i5/8Gb
    Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 - 367927U

Quote Originally Posted by manuelcalavera View Post
    This means not only we have to carry the cabe every where, also that "every where" needs to have power outlet.
    I know it is not this is not a resolution of this issue, but it may help someone out there looking for any way to use an ext. drive with their new tab. I need to carry a cable with my USB drive anyway, might as well be this one. And I usually have a power adapter of some sort to charge my phone and in a pinch the TPT2's own power supply will work to power the ext drive. This allows me to not have to return my tablet. I am still holding out hope that that Lenovo will be able to come up with a better firmware solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Rommie2k6 View Post
    This is a total **** up. So you cannot use any USB accessories except thumbdrive, not even external HDD or optical drives that are powered on their own? If that's the case, the TPT2 is going off my list.
    Lucky that I read up on this, I had my Acer W510 with me ready to return on Saturday when I was exchanging my Samsung Smart PC Pro 700T due to defective keyboard dock and lint behind the screen. So for now I came back with my Acer W510. I still have till the 20th to return the Acer W510 since they have the extended Holiday return.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by 150pilot View Post
    I have just successfully used my external 1TB USB hard drive and external USB DVD burner by plugging them into a USB "Y" cable. One of the other ends of the cable gets plugged into the TPT2 and finally the other gets plugged into a standard USB power adapter similar to what comes with most smart phones or even the TPT2 itself. Both the HDD & DVD burner were recognized and worked properly. This is a workaround at best, but at least is better than nothing. Hopefully Lenovo can put out an update that will allow the single USB port to output more power and this will not be necessary.

This is my USB DVD burner and the USB cable that came with it is the one making everything possible. I did have to use a mini USB to micro USB adapter to make it work with my USB 3.0 1TB ext. HDD though. Hope this helps some of you out there:

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG USB 2.0 Slim External DVD Writer Model SE-208DB/TSBS

P.S. I haven't tried a powered USB hub yet but I am thinking that it should work similar to what I rigged up.

Examples of cable:
    Example #1

Example #2
    I am glad to see that worked. I have also ordered a 10 foot USB cord with a male USB connector on one end and, and a micro usb connector on the other, so that I can have a little more distance from the plug when charging. My self-powered dvd burner has two usb plugs, so I was going to use a USB extender cable to connect one of the plugs it to an A/C adapter, and it appears your solution shows that would work.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Examples of cable:
    Example #1

Example #2
    That is great that yours worked. My LG slim burner has a Y cable but would not work with one end plugged into an outlet with the TP2 power adapter. it would spool up but still not enough power to install software. I dont have a special cable for my Seagate 3.0 USB HDD, so I cant test that. It makes sense that it is a power issue, but that makes me think that cant be fixed through software. That seems like an engineering decision to accommodate small size.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Examples of cable:
    Example #1

Example #2
    could you show the cable you used to get your USB 3.0 HDD to work? Thanks.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Techgeek32 View Post
    That is great that yours worked. My LG slim burner has a Y cable but would not work with one end plugged into an outlet with the TP2 power adapter. it would spool up but still not enough power to install software. I dont have a special cable for my Seagate 3.0 USB HDD, so I cant test that. It makes sense that it is a power issue, but that makes me think that cant be fixed through software. That seems like an engineering decision to accommodate small size.
    Actually the tablet's USB port can output 500mA current which should be enough to power external drives. I believe the actual software/firmware is to blame as it may not be allocating enough current to the USB when it is active.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheGuac View Post
    Actually the tablet's USB port can output 500mA current which should be enough to power external drives. I believe the actual software/firmware is to blame as it may not be allocating enough current to the USB when it is active.
    How did you figure that out ? Through an application or you did that via hardware tools?
    Microsoft Surface Pro 3 - i5/8Gb
    Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 - 367927U

Thread Information