USB port problems with TP2 - Page 4

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: USB port problems with TP2

Quote Originally Posted by gcoupe View Post
    What I find really gobsmacking is the official Lenovo video of unboxing the Thinkpad 2, where the official Lenovo spokesman says, in response to what can be connected to the device:

"Oh yea, external hard drives, thumbdrives"

Nope, sunshine; just thumbdrives can be connected. I am not impressed.
    I'll be speaking to Lenovo and Newegg tomorrow to see what can be done about this situation. I've already sold my Vaio Duo so I need something with a digitizer and the TPT2 has fulfilled most of my needs for the time being, except for the pesky USB issue. I don't think Newegg will do anything except allow me to return it without a restocking fee, but I don't really feel like returning it since there's nothing else on the market.

Scribbler - Standard Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheGuac View Post
    I'll be speaking to Lenovo and Newegg tomorrow to see what can be done about this situation. I've already sold my Vaio Duo so I need something with a digitizer and the TPT2 has fulfilled most of my needs for the time being, except for the pesky USB issue. I don't think Newegg will do anything except allow me to return it without a restocking fee, but I don't really feel like returning it since there's nothing else on the market.
    I was very close in returning my Acer W510 yesterday but read about the USB not supporting external HD or a external DVD/CD RW. Even though I need the mini USB cable for the Acer W510, I decided to keep the W510 for now. I got a couple weeks that I can return the W510 and get the TPT2. Also would have liked that the TPT2 would charge up faster. I know that the TPT2 has the Wacom for inking, but I have the Samsung ATIV 700T for inking as I would only use the inking while in office meetings, around the house and if I was going to be working on the ATIV 700T.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Hey, guys, I was afraid about my 500T
    I tested my 2.5" disk. And I was glad to see my files.
    HP TM2-1000 (feb 2010)
    HP Slate 500 (March 2011)
    Asus EEE Slate EP121 (March 2011)
    Samsung Ativ 500T (nov 2012)
    2 x Asus VivoTab Note 8 (jan 2014 and march 2014)

(x) / fashion

Either Lenovo will admit the device's USB drivers are buggy, or they will -- indirectly -- admit they have committed one of the biggest blunders in the history of business-grade machines.
    Hi! I'm a Tablet PC....and I'm not a goddamn toy.
    HP TM2 (i5-430UM, ATI HD-5450) | HP TC1100 (Celeron 800MHz).

WPrime/WEI Benchmark thread for Tablet PCs:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hard...ablet-pcs.html

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I have never heard of Lenovo admitting any wrongdoing on any of their products. Has anyone received the desktop dock yet? My theory is that while the TP2 is docked it will probably allow the connection of DVD burners and external HDD's, but that kind of defeats the purpose if I have to carry that huge desktop dock and gigantic charging brick with TP2 and keyboard in my briefcase. I thought the marketing behind these tablets was to become more mobile and efficient, not less!

Do you think this can be solved with a firmware or driver upgrade or Lenovo completely f'ed it up?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I doubt it. This appears to be a hardware shortcoming. We will soon find out.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Techgeek32 View Post
    I doubt it. This appears to be a hardware shortcoming. We will soon find out.
    I'm having a hard time believing Lenovo would make a blunder as bad as this one. I'm holding out hope a firmware or software update fixes this, why else would they openly advertise it as working with drives.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Really. You are having a hard time believing that manufacturers can really screw up a product? Look at the screen lift debacle on the Samsung Series 7 slate or the Power adapter issue with the first Zenbook. Nothing these companies do surprise me anymore. These are engineers creating these products and not the end user.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

This is a total **** up. So you cannot use any USB accessories except thumbdrive, not even external HDD or optical drives that are powered on their own? If that's the case, the TPT2 is going off my list.

Thread Information