USB port problems with TP2 - Page 3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Re: USB port problems with TP2

Quote Originally Posted by Techgeek32 View Post
    Nope. Tried on battery and with power.
    I was able to install WordPerfect on the tablet using an older Sony powered external usb DVD drive. That would seem to be the best solution, if you have one of those older powered drives hanging around.

A newer, self powered burner would not work, whether the tablet was on battery or external power.

Scribbler - Standard Member

what is the voltage of the power adapter that comes with tpt2? Probably the voltage is too low for some external hdd?
    Last edited by rzp2003; 01-05-2013 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by teiger View Post
    I really cant use an USB stick as well? Bad news for me :/. Not that I use external USB Drives, ... on the Tablet often but it would be very handy.
    My understanding is that usb stick should work.

I've got a TPT2 on the way (should arrive Tuesday) and I'm going to try two ideas to use a DVD drive. First, my external USB DVD drive has a "Y-style" USB cable (so it can hook up to two USB ports for more power), and I'll try one connector into the tablet and the other into a USB/AC adapter for power to see if that works. Otherwise, I will network share my desktop's DVD drive to the tablet to install software via the network. The only software I need to load via DVD is Adobe Creative Suite, so I should be able to make do. I will report back if I either approach works.

sbl

I tried to connect a powered Seagate hd but my tpt2 had no response. I saw a post on Lenovo community said his tpt2 could detect usb devices after reinstall windows 8 enterprise. I was surprised.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by TruenoGT View Post
    I've got a TPT2 on the way (should arrive Tuesday) and I'm going to try two ideas to use a DVD drive. First, my external USB DVD drive has a "Y-style" USB cable (so it can hook up to two USB ports for more power), and I'll try one connector into the tablet and the other into a USB/AC adapter for power to see if that works. Otherwise, I will network share my desktop's DVD drive to the tablet to install software via the network. The only software I need to load via DVD is Adobe Creative Suite, so I should be able to make do. I will report back if I either approach works.
    I tried that with my fairly new LG Dvd burner and it would at least spool up but the TP2 still couldn't read or detect it. Hope you have better luck. My biggest problem is that my company purchased several hundred Seagate USB 3.0 external hard drives for us to use when we travel. They are not powered and will not work with the TP2, so we are looking at other solutions. It is looking like the TP2 is just underpowered for whatever reason and if you want to use DVD burners and external hard drives they will need to have full power capability through an A/C adapter. This is ridiculous because I really like the tablet. Oh well. Good luck to everyone else.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mobilelawyer View Post
    I was able to install WordPerfect on the tablet using an older Sony powered external usb DVD drive. That would seem to be the best solution, if you have one of those older powered drives hanging around.

A newer, self powered burner would not work, whether the tablet was on battery or external power.
    I don't have one unfortunately and I just did a search on Amazon. You will be hard pressed to find either a fully powered dvd burner or a fully powered external hard drive. They all run off of USB, some have the Y cable but that didn't work with my TP2, but most of the external hard drives just come with one small USB cable and no Y connector. This is crazy.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

TechGeek, you probably already know this, but atom-based systems don't support USB 3.0 in any case, so you'll have to find an ivybridge tablet to take full advantage of those Seagate USB 3.0 HDDs.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pianomanos View Post
    TechGeek, you probably already know this, but atom-based systems don't support USB 3.0 in any case, so you'll have to find an ivybridge tablet to take full advantage of those Seagate USB 3.0 HDDs.
    Of course i know that. they are all backwards compatible with USB 2.0 ports and the bottom line is neither work with the TP2. I have yet to find a portable HDD that is powered by anything more than the USB cable they come with. Most companies are purchasin USB 3.0 devices to future proof their environment. Lenovo should have made this an RT tablet if it was not designed to complete "big boy" tasks.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

What I find really gobsmacking is the official Lenovo video of unboxing the Thinkpad 2, where the official Lenovo spokesman says, in response to what can be connected to the device:

"Oh yea, external hard drives, thumbdrives"

Nope, sunshine; just thumbdrives can be connected. I am not impressed.

Thread Information