Thinkpad Tablet 2 - Initial Impressions - Page 9

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: Thinkpad Tablet 2 - Initial Impressions

That's quite frightening, tbh... I've been using the Samsung version (ATIV) pretty much non-stop since 9AM this morning (it's now a bit past 5PM now, so about 5 hours if I subtract lunchtime) and I'm only down to 70%... OneNote and browsing (some Flash video in there too) over WiFi on mid brightness... there's something wonky going on with your tablets, you should be seeing similar battery life since it's all the same platform and same 30Wh battery capacity...

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bemymonkey View Post
    That's quite frightening, tbh... I've been using the Samsung version (ATIV) pretty much non-stop since 9AM this morning (it's now a bit past 5PM now, so about 5 hours if I subtract lunchtime) and I'm only down to 70%... OneNote and browsing (some Flash video in there too) over WiFi on mid brightness... there's something wonky going on with your tablets, you should be seeing similar battery life since it's all the same platform and same 30Wh battery capacity...
    You may be right. A popular tech website (can't remember the name) benched the samsung 500t at 10 hours of web browsing. TPT2 should be getting the same unless there is a driver issue. Or, I have a defective unit.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I'd bet it's a driver issue. The same thing happens constantly with regular Thinkpads... I get about 12 hours of mid-brightness web browsing on my T520 with the 9-cell while many other users get 8 or so... Usually a clean install fixes things.

Scribbler - Standard Member

Quote Originally Posted by noxxle View Post
    You may be right. A popular tech website (can't remember the name) benched the samsung 500t at 10 hours of web browsing. TPT2 should be getting the same unless there is a driver issue. Or, I have a defective unit.
    does tpt 2 come with Norton security? If so you may want to replace it with a more light weight one.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I spend much time in desktop mode. Could that be the problem, even if I'm only using lightweight apps?

Does an app like Google Chrome consume more power when run in the desktop environment vs metro?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Although you've got to remember Samsung milks batteries. The Ativ Smart PC Pro schools the Sony Vaio Duo (7 hours vs 4). I did have the Ativ Smart PC (500T) and I concur that the battery life on that unit was much better doing the same tasks as the Lenovo and Acer. They've perfected something.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rzp2003 View Post
    does tpt 2 come with Norton security? If so you may want to replace it with a more light weight one.
    No it doesn't.

I'm kind of wondering why people are comparing the TP2 to a mini-iPad in regards to battery life? They are not in the same market segment. If you want your long battery life in a Microsoft device, the Surface is the direct competitor to the iPad. If you want full Windows 8 Pro, there will definitely be a battery and weight penalty.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I spend much time in desktop mode. Could that be the problem, even if I'm only using lightweight apps?

Does an app like Google Chrome consume more power when run in the desktop environment vs metro?
    Very unlikely... I've been using OneNote and Chrome in desktop mode all day.

Quote Originally Posted by bdbdbd View Post
    I'm kind of wondering why people are comparing the TP2 to a mini-iPad in regards to battery life? They are not in the same market segment. If you want your long battery life in a Microsoft device, the Surface is the direct competitor to the iPad. If you want full Windows 8 Pro, there will definitely be a battery and weight penalty.
    Because the other Windows 8 Atom devices are (mostly) on par with iPads in battery life...

Scribbler - Standard Member

probably it has something to do with the constant interrupts that take about 10% of cpu.

Thread Information