X60 Tablet and Windows 8 upgrades

+ Reply to Thread
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Default X60 Tablet and Windows 8 upgrades

Hi Folks, I've got a 6363-5BU with XP Tablet Edition SP 3. Who has upgraded their X60 Tablet to Windows 8? What issues, pitfalls and workarounds did you discover along the way? It would be nice to gather everyone's experiences in one place.

Scribbler - Standard Member

Default Re: X60 Tablet and Windows 8 upgrades

I have not upgraded any of my X60s, but I did upgrade an X61 to Window 8, runs great, running it on a SSD, 90GB.

Issues, nothing significant, depends how you look at it. ThinkPad devices do not work, I got all the drivers working, but things like fingerprinter reader, tablet buttons. I purchased Windows 8 at $70 to try it out, and I just got Windows 8 Pro for $75. I really like this OS. I think it will run fine, but you will lose some of the additional uses a X60 provides to you. I have two X60 and XP Tablet on one and the other (my wife's) run Windows 7 Ultimate. If you like the tablet features, you might want to stay with XP or move to Windows 7. Currently, I have the X61 set up at a desktop PC on a dock with a wireless keyboard, if I want to use it as portable, I just undock it. I am finding myself using it more then my other ThinkPads, but then again, I am "computer assistant", so I need to work with the newest stuff and get knowledgeable.

Quote Originally Posted by EspiOne View Post
    I have not upgraded any of my X60s, but I did upgrade an X61 to Window 8, runs great, running it on a SSD, 90GB.

Issues, nothing significant, depends how you look at it. ThinkPad devices do not work, I got all the drivers working, but things like fingerprinter reader, tablet buttons. I purchased Windows 8 at $70 to try it out, and I just got Windows 8 Pro for $75. I really like this OS. I think it will run fine, but you will lose some of the additional uses a X60 provides to you. I have two X60 and XP Tablet on one and the other (my wife's) run Windows 7 Ultimate. If you like the tablet features, you might want to stay with XP or move to Windows 7. Currently, I have the X61 set up at a desktop PC on a dock with a wireless keyboard, if I want to use it as portable, I just undock it. I am finding myself using it more then my other ThinkPads, but then again, I am "computer assistant", so I need to work with the newest stuff and get knowledgeable.
    Windows 8 Pro 64bit on X61 works fine for me. Did not check the fingerprint reader because I don't use that, but I think the Win7 driver for it should do.

And Win8 on the X61 Tablet is more than cool, way better than Win 7, except that you have to do some work-arounds to get the tablet buttons to function in some way.

I will post a detailed experience soon.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by IBMr52 View Post
    Windows 8 Pro 64bit on X61 works fine for me. Did not check the fingerprint reader because I don't use that, but I think the Win7 driver for it should do.

And Win8 on the X61 Tablet is more than cool, way better than Win 7, except that you have to do some work-arounds to get the tablet buttons to function in some way.

I will post a detailed experience soon.
    Bit the bullet and did it this week.

* I had the DVD but because the X60 didn't have an optical drive, I needed to make a ISO file and create a bootable USB stick.
    * I used Nero to create the ISO file and Microsoft's Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool to create the bootable stick.
    * I used a stick with 8GB of free space.
    * The installation was a little confusing. It gave the option to preserve your apps and data. After choosing that option it returned with an error that it couldn't find the drivers necessary to complete the task. Restarting the installation and installing with a format of the drive solved the problem. Otherwise the process was uneventful and relatively quick.
    * The X60's touchscreen wouldn't work until I installed the latest Wacom driver not the multi touch driver from Lenovo.
    * None of the X60's bezel controls work.
    * The fingerprint reader driver can be found here: Drivers and software - ThinkPad X201 Tablet & X201i Tablet. This is the X201T driver download site. The readme says it is compatible with X60 Tablet but strangely Lenovo haven't listed it on the X60 Tablet driver download page.
    * The Windows 7 ThinkPad Button connivers will activate the Rotate screen button.
    * Install the Tablet Shortcut menu application and that button will work too but only in desktop mode
    * Display and WLAN functions worked straightaway; that allowed MS Office 2007 to be installed from a shared DVD drive. MS Office 2007 activated over the Internet without me needing to explain why it was being re-installed.
    * Sometimes the vertical scroll bar won't respond to the stylus. Could be a lag.
    * Windows 8 is remarkably usable even though the touchscreen does not support multi-finger touch.
    * ThinkPad System update only installed the two Windows 8 drivers on Lenovo's X60 driver site.
    * Think Vantage Win7 software I've tried such as Power Manager don't seem to work.
    * Still trying to get the Speaker volume controls and the ThinkVantage button to work. Any clues?
    * 3rd party ThinkPad fan control utility works.
    * Having a lot of fun exploring the Metro UI. At first disconcertingly bare with no clues on what to do. Once one discovers the flicks from the edges of the screen then onwards and upwards from there. Searching is your friend.
    * Discovered OneNote on the Apps Store available as freeware. I'm really enjoying the new design. Can't wait to see the rest of Microsoft Office getting the Metro makeover.

Bottom line: If you don't mind the loss of hardware functionality then go ahead with the upgrade to Windows 8. But if you do, and everything is working well on XP Tablet Edition, Vista or Windows 7 then don't do it.

HTH somebody else.

Specs
    260GB HDD
    2GB RAM
    Core 2 Duo 1.67GHz
    Pen & single touch support

Windows Experience Ratings
    Processor 3.5
    RAM 4.7
    Graphics 3.3
    Gaming 3.1
    HDD 5.7
    Last edited by Genghis; 02-18-2013 at 12:34 AM.

With Windows XP support being a thing of the past. I am debating about updgrading my X60 to Windows 8 or just keeping it "AS IS" or selling it.

I have a very fond attachment to it, as it replacement my X32 a while back ago, about 5 years ago. I have love XP Tablet, since my first Tablet, X41, dam, Microsoft should have rolled with this and kept at it, we might have had Windows 8, instead of Vista.

Anywho......

So...What you think??

Upgrade to Windows 8 and bring it into the family of Win8 devices (Alienware M14X R2, Asus Vivo RT, and Thinkpad Tablet 2).

Gaming Desktop is Still Windows 7 Ultimate.

Leave as it was designed to be, Windows XP Tablet

or

Say good bye and see if someone else will love it as I have.

BAD IDEA, I spend $199, to get an upgrade copy and did the upgrade, the upgrade went very well, kept all my accounts and setting. LOST all my programs, all of them. I am in the process of 're-installing' XP Tablet. But I am now stuck with a $199 copy of Windows 8 Pro.

Thread Information