ThinkPad Helix looks promising

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 93 123451151 ... LastLast
    Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default ThinkPad Helix looks promising

I hadn't heard about this one: the ThinkPad Helix, see pictures here (use Google Chrome if you want an automatic translation)
    Detachable, looks thin, has silo, can go up to i7. The keyboard looks crazy thin, I wonder how well that will feel. This is rumored to be the future of the ThinkPad X tablet line.

Moving 'up' from iPAQ

Default Re: ThinkPad Helix looks promising

Quote Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
    I hadn't heard about this one: the ThinkPad Helix, see pictures here (use Google Chrome if you want an automatic translation)
    Detachable, looks thin, has silo, can go up to i7. The keyboard looks crazy thin, I wonder how well that will feel. This is rumored to be the future of the ThinkPad X tablet line.
    Is it a laptop or does it flip all the way around 180 degrees like the "Yoga?"
    regards,

Dan
    Doing the device shuffle again:
    * New * HP Elitepad 1000
    Dell Venue 8 Pro - my ultra mobile device (I cannot believe where I can stick this thing)
    HP Elitepad with Win 8.1 (used) - my main useful device until the EP 1000 arrived
    Fujitsu Q702 i5 with Win 8.1 - mostly used as a desktop/laptop now

Searching around, its a little unclear, but it looks like its detachable with a dock. Has a silo in the base (edit-- although perhaps that's actually in the slate, now that I look at it more-- check the pics in the links below), so it has pen input. What I can't tell is if some of these pictures indicate you can take off the screen, turn it around, re-attach it, and "close" the lid with the screen facing up. Seems so, because there are two hinges-so its clearly not swiveling like the Twist.

This link here talks about it, but the picture is not the correct model.

This link is to a Chinese site, but you can see the silo, the dock, some ports, etc.

It looks interesting, but my biggest concern is the very thin keyboard. Still, an intriguing design answer- doesn't have the issues of the Yoga resting on the upsidedown keyboard, but allows you full ports and a silo because the screen is attached the base if you want it to be.

edit-
    Hmmm... maybe not? This looks dual sided like that other Lenovo laptop.

But on the second link up above it clearly shows a "back" while used as a laptop, without a screen on the back. So my guess is that I might be right about its ability to "flip" the screen and re-attach it backwards to the base. I think its abilities are just being misreported right now because we've only got so many pics, and they're a bit confusing.

edit #2-
    In this pic specifically, you can see how all the ports are at the back of the base.
    You can see it has its own ports on the tablet too, though, which is cool. It feels like they're duplicating the ports through the dock itself so you can have access to them when its a laptop or a slate. It also looks like you're getting the silo in the slate, from the pics above.

This quote below is translated from the Chinese blog linked to in the first post. It gives you a sense of what it's set up to do. Seems exciting, if you can get onboard with the changed keyboard and touchpad/ button setup-

ThinkPad Helix in laptop mode can be used as high-performance super-pole of the use, the screen can also be removed from the base into a 11 mm thick tablet PCs. Maximum configuration of the third generation i7 processor, has a 11.6-inch IPS 1080p display, and manipulate the stylus and touch screen (touch) and touchpad (5:00 in touch) a variety of ways. The battery life of 10 hours, the NFC near field communication technology, wireless network support built-in 3G module.

edit #3-
    Was reading the Chinese forum- it's stated that the dock has a battery in it as well. Perhaps they're getting that from the text in the pics that aren't translated by google. If it's true it would help with 1) balance (as the guts are in the slate/screen, and 2) would explain the reported 10 hour battery life even while having an i7.

Also, issues with balance would explain the "supportive" hinge behind the screen when used as a laptop.

As before, if you separate it from you concept of what a convertible tablet should be like in the x line, and instead just think of it as a new solution to dockable slates, it answers many issues-
    Pros-
    1) having guts in the slate makes the dock flimsy/unbalanced--> battery in dock, supportive hinge
    2) battery life issues with iCore--> extra battery in dock
    3) silo in slate versus no silo, or only silo in dock
    4) ports in slate --> seems to be duplicating ports through the docking system, so that's good news
    5) ports in slate --> ?? perhaps provides fullsized ports when used as a slate if you re-dock the slate "backwards" into the base vs. "smaller" ports (??) available when used as a slate?

Cons-
    1) new style, thin keyboard
    2) lack of buttons for trackpoint??? This is actually an issue for me, and one of the selling points of a Lenovo Thinkpad to me, as I use the a lot for specific programs I use a lot for work. But who knows? The rest seems very appealing.

Basically, to me, it looks like a full iCore slate, with a silo and ports (??though which types really, we can't see??), with a keyboard dock that has a very thin extra battery on it and replicates and/or improves port capability while simultaneously improving balance issues by having the ports all in the back of the laptop format.
    Last edited by Steve B; 10-21-2012 at 05:55 PM.
    Currently own:
    x230t Outdoor-- Win 7 x64, 256 gb ssd, 16 gb ram, 6-cell
    q552 -- Win7 x32, 2 gb ram, outdoor slate for work

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902

Outdoor Viewable Screens- Comparison Thread with Pics

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I believe the silo is in the tablet portion, not the dock. It is shown on the back corner with the rear camera visible.

Nevertheless, this is the ultimate tablet.

Function over Form

Uhhh, yeah this looks very promising. I wonder how long it will take for this to be officially released?

2d
    Current Mobile:
    Lenovo Thinkpad 8 - 64gb
    Lenovo x230 - i5, 16gb RAM, 256 ssd, 320gb 7.2k rpm hdd, w8 pro x64
    Lenovo X220t - i7-2620M, 16gb RAM, 80gb ssd, 320gb 7.2k rpm hdd, w8 pro x64
    Past:
    OQO 01, 02 RIP, Fujitsu P1510d (Still have but not using) ,Acer 1825ptz, Samsung Series 7 Slate - A01 & A03, HP Slate 2, MS Surface Pro 128gb, MS Surface Pro 2 4gb/128gb

Function over Form

Quote Originally Posted by dceggert View Post
    Is it a laptop or does it flip all the way around 180 degrees like the "Yoga?"
    It looks from the pictures I've seen (and I could be confused) that it does both. You can undock it, or dock it. If you dock it reverse then you can fold it back over the keyboard.

Seems like a pretty good design. And if the stats that are mentioned are true, I could see this going quite a few places.

2d
    Current Mobile:
    Lenovo Thinkpad 8 - 64gb
    Lenovo x230 - i5, 16gb RAM, 256 ssd, 320gb 7.2k rpm hdd, w8 pro x64
    Lenovo X220t - i7-2620M, 16gb RAM, 80gb ssd, 320gb 7.2k rpm hdd, w8 pro x64
    Past:
    OQO 01, 02 RIP, Fujitsu P1510d (Still have but not using) ,Acer 1825ptz, Samsung Series 7 Slate - A01 & A03, HP Slate 2, MS Surface Pro 128gb, MS Surface Pro 2 4gb/128gb

(x) / fashion

Quote Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
    Detachable, looks thin, has silo, can go up to i7.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Searching around, its a little unclear, but it looks like its detachable with a dock.

Great find and detective work, you two!

The device looks kick-ass. In this picture it looks like there are 2 silos! Maybe they heard me b!tching about lack of silos and decided to put silos everywhere....one on the slate itself, another on the keyboard-dock, one more on the power adapter, an extra one on the battery, and, for good measure, one on the Pen as well!
    Hi! I'm a Tablet PC....and I'm not a goddamn toy.
    HP TM2 (i5-430UM, ATI HD-5450) | HP TC1100 (Celeron 800MHz).

WPrime/WEI Benchmark thread for Tablet PCs:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hard...ablet-pcs.html

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Just got back after a day away from the internet (it does happen) to find all of this. Nice detective work indeed! I wonder how much it weighs with the dock attached.

Ok, boys and girls, here's a pic of it just as a slate. I see usb and hdmi and sd maybe? I don't have any experience with HDMI so I can't tell. Also, that pen sure looks Wacom-ish to me....
    Name:  5helix.jpg
Views: 18276
Size:  22.6 KB

And here's one with the dock locked in. Once again, I see 2 usb and hdmi-- I wonder if its routing them from the slate to the base through the docking mechanism? According to the specs I list below in this post, this should be 1" thick??
    Name:  9helix.jpg
Views: 16056
Size:  27.8 KB

This is it as a laptop-
    Name:  2helix.jpg
Views: 13733
Size:  38.3 KB

Here's the site with all of a great series of pics. Holy mole, does it look sweet! The pen looks very much like Wacom. Opinions? There's what looks to be a fantastic array of ports on the slate itself, plus more on the dock.

E-schreiber, I think the pic you linked to is a comparison pic between the Thinkpad Tablet and the Helix, noting how they both have silos. Notice the matte exterior (Thinkpad Tab) versus "shiny" exterior on the new tablet (presumably the Helix)? That's my guess anyways.

BTW, specs look something like this, according to this site--
    -11.6" screen
    -16:9 full HD screen
    -10 hours battery life with dock
    -pen with silo on slate
    -mirco USB and micro HDMI on slate? or so it says on this website
    -I see two full USB and HDMI (?) on the dock in the above pic (I see one "under" each hinge), but can't tell for sure
    -looks very thin- I'm seeing 11mm for the dock and 14.5mm for the screen according to the specs sheet, but who knows??... I can't tell if those are comparison specs between it and something else, or if that's with and then without the keyboard, etc 11 mm is thin- .47"! 14.5 mm= .57 inches. If its a measurement per part (screen and dock) then its 1.00" in the money. When you see the slate docked, it's clear the dock as a "L" shape, because it's thicker at the back to accommodate the ports, and the slate rests on the keyboard. Thus, I wonder if the dock is 11 mm thick on the keyboard, but "full" thickeness at the back, right? Is 11mm (.47") thick enough for a good keyboard? Either way, very thin, IMO.
    -Nothing on weight yet that I can find.

My major concerns are still-
    -How well does a 1/2" thin keyboard work? Are other keyboards already this thin, and if so how do they work?
    -trackpoint buttons and how things might work without them, but still with the trackpoint itself.
    -balance
    -hinge design- does this open and close like a clamshell? It seems to, to me, but I can't tell. Looks like a hinge in front to me though.
    -this is all still sort of hearsay for now. I'd take it all with a grain of salt.... still..... phew! it's nice lookin'!
    Last edited by Steve B; 10-21-2012 at 06:26 PM.
    Currently own:

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902

Lets see, additional info says 10 point touch-- that seems like bad news to me re: Wacom? But I don't really know.

But here's a pic with the pen going into the silo on the slate. I see an eraser, which should mean Wacom, right?
    Name:  dsc00472.jpg
Views: 17216
Size:  61.1 KB

Engadet put up a great series of pics. Here's the link for all 15 of them.

The hinge mechanism sticks up from the body of the dock itself, btw. There are lots of pics about the hinge mechanism a the Engadget link-- what this means is that although the screen is a 11.6" 16:9 , the body of the dock seems longer than normal for that ratio. I was looking at the pics of the keyboard, and the hand rest area looks substantially larger than I'm used to on my x200t, for example. That's a nice roomy palm rest.

Ok, I got to go do some real work! Hahaha!
    Last edited by Steve B; 10-21-2012 at 06:25 PM.
    Currently own:

Thread Information