+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 95 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: ThinkPad Helix looks promising

Shiny

Default Re: ThinkPad Helix looks promising

Quote Originally Posted by k0ral View Post
    Is win8 suitable for professional use?
    Yes, absolutely. If you prefer the desktop environment to Metro...don't use any metro apps. Problem solved. For someone who stays in the desktop, the start screen is really just a full-screen start menu, with more space for pinning frequently-used program and directories and the exact same "start menu search" functionality of Windows 7.
    VAIO Duo 11 (i3-3217U, 11.6" 1080p IPS, N-Trig stylus, Windows 8.1). My video review; handwriting test.
    VAIO F2390X (i7-2670QM, 540M, 16.4" 1080p, Windows 8.1 Pro). My video review.
    Samsung Galaxy S III (U.S. Cellular, Android 4.3 with TouchWiz skin). My review.

Function over Form

Quote Originally Posted by Mitlov View Post
    Yes, absolutely. If you prefer the desktop environment to Metro...don't use any metro apps. Problem solved. For someone who stays in the desktop, the start screen is really just a full-screen start menu, with more space for pinning frequently-used program and directories and the exact same "start menu search" functionality of Windows 7.
    Or just get Start8 from Stardock (for example) and return the Windows 7 start menu in Windows 8. Enjoy the best of both worlds.

2d
    Current Mobile:
    Lenovo x230 - i5, 16gb RAM, 256 ssd, 320gb 7.2k rpm hdd, w8 pro x64
    Lenovo X220t - i7-2620M, 16gb RAM, 80gb ssd, 320gb 7.2k rpm hdd, w8 pro x64
    Past:
    OQO 01, 02 RIP, Fujitsu P1510d (Still have but not using) ,Acer 1825ptz, Samsung Series 7 Slate - A01 & A03, HP Slate 2, MS Surface Pro 128gb, MS Surface Pro 2 4gb/128gb, Lenovo Thinkpad 8 - 64gb

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 2disbetter View Post
    Or just get Start8 from Stardock (for example) and return the Windows 7 start menu in Windows 8. Enjoy the best of both worlds.
    Classic Shell also works great. It is freeware. I prefer it to Start8. Lot more configuration options than Start8. The dev is very responsive and helpful. I paid him since I find it very useful. I tried it on a Win 8 laptop which I returned but still using it on Win 7 system which is pretty much personalized like a Win XP interface using Classic Shell.

On a laptop you have to disable edge swipes on the touchpad. Otherwise the Metro charm side bar thing will pop up accidentally. You have to disable the hot corners also.

any news about this tablet?

Nada. I keep looking every once and a while, but there hasn't been a thing anywhere. Sigh.
    Currently own:
    x230t Outdoor-- Win 7 x64, 256 GB SSD , 16 gb ram, 6-cell
    Thinkpad Tablet 2- Win 8.1, 64 GB SSD, 2 GB RAM

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902, q552

Outdoor Viewable Screens- Comparison Thread with Pics

Wait and Hope.

Interesting comment over on Notebookreview.

Quote Originally Posted by lead_org View Post
    X230t is going EOL, and getting replaced by the Helix.
    Confirmed the speculation that the X2xxT series is being discontinued and the Helix is the new 12" flagship model.
    Thinkpad X301 | Asus Note 8 | Nokia 928

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Would seem a bit backwards since the last two X series models were a larger 12.5in model and came with a full voltage cpu, which was nice for those who needed it.

(x) / fashion

Quote Originally Posted by Bronsky View Post
    Confirmed the speculation that the X2xxT series is being discontinued and the Helix is the new 12" flagship model.
    I think traditional convertibles will become rarer and rarer now that the industry has rediscovered the detachable form-factor. But the convertibles can offer a lot of power and that is hard to get from detachables. Unless some OEM tries a detachable design in which there's one Atom CPU inside the slate and an i7 CPU inside the keyboard.
    Hi! I'm a Tablet PC and I'm not a goddamn toy.
    HP TC1100 > HP TM2 > ThinkPad Helix or ThinkPad 10
    Lumia 625 > Galaxy Note 3 Neo

WPrime/WEI benchmarks for TabletPCs
    ThinkPad 10: Compendium (tips, hacks, accessories)
    New User Guide for Samsung Series 7 Slate

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by e-schreiber View Post
    I think traditional convertibles will become rarer and rarer now that the industry has rediscovered the detachable form-factor. But the convertibles can offer a lot of power and that is hard to get from detachables. Unless some OEM tries a detachable design in which there's one Atom CPU inside the slate and an i7 CPU inside the keyboard.
    There is some rumor that thinkpad helix has this architecture: an atom cpu inside the slate and an i-core CPU inside the keyboard. But I am doubtful as it sounds too complicated.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by e-schreiber View Post
    Unless some OEM tries a detachable design in which there's one Atom CPU inside the slate and an i7 CPU inside the keyboard.
    I really like that vision, we saw an early version of that with Android in the slate (forgot who showed that first). It basically makes the screen a relatively dumb slate with some storage, and the user could plug this into an authorized higher power dock, e.g. mobile i7 on a keyboard dock, and some monstrous CPU on a desktop dock.

As rzp2003 implied though, the amount of engineering required may not be worth it given that most consumers are fine with one medium-powered solution that does everything pretty well.

As for the Helix I'm still intrigued, but the complicated hinge/dock design looks a bit scary. It reminds me of the way the wings of your trusted airliner come apart when the flaps extend during landing. I guess as long as the mechanism has the same reliability as airplane wings we'll be OK.

Thread Information