ThinkPad Helix looks promising - Page 6

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 93 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Default Re: ThinkPad Helix looks promising

What's peculiar is that if you go to the other site I link to, where I say "According to this site", this one here, it lists the specs as such, if I have google translate them--
    " Flatbed thickness: 11mm; notebook thickness: 14.5mm"

That puts the total at more like 1" between the two. This is more in line with the other pictures of the Helix I've seen, where the screen is docked. It looks more like the thickness of a Macbook Pro. However, in the picture you reference, it clearly looks thinner than the Thinkpad tablet even when docked with the base (though it might be zoomed out a bit?), and your picture clearly references the thickness of the Helix as 11mm.

However, if the Helix really is iCore, then I doubt it'll be thinner than the Thinkpad 2, which is Atom. Perhaps this would lead one to the double-cpu idea I've seen passed around, where the base is the iCore compatible part, and the top is some sort of Atom cpu??? I dunno.

Or perhaps the measurements are just being reported wrong.... ;P

So, yeah, its confusing right now.
    Currently own:
    x230t Outdoor-- Win 7 x64, 256 gb ssd, 16 gb ram, 6-cell
    q552 -- Win7 x32, 2 gb ram, outdoor slate for work

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902

Outdoor Viewable Screens- Comparison Thread with Pics

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I wonder if their is a gen2 of the Helix will the tablet portion be able to work with the dock that would be using the next gen intel cpu. Could be a good/interesting way of doing upgrade methods.

I wonder if the usb port on the tablet portion would be 3.0 or just a standard usb port.

Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes definitely confusing...

Let's compare to the Samsung ATIV Pro 700T which is also a Core-i processor. That tablet is 11.89mm thick, and is considered on the thicker side. Their keyboard is another 10mm, (picture here: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._AA1500_.jpg). Looks bulky. Still 0.86" in total.

So if going by those translated specs, 11mm could be reasonable for the tablet ("Flatbed"), and 14.5mm for the combined keyboard+dock? Sounds plausable.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    What's peculiar is that if you go to the other site I link to, where I say "According to this site", this one here, it lists the specs as such, if I have google translate them--
    " Flatbed thickness: 11mm; notebook thickness: 14.5mm"

That puts the total at more like 1" between the two. This is more in line with the other pictures of the Helix I've seen, where the screen is docked. It looks more like the thickness of a Macbook Pro. However, in the picture you reference, it clearly looks thinner than the Thinkpad tablet even when docked with the base (though it might be zoomed out a bit?), and your picture clearly references the thickness of the Helix as 11mm.

However, if the Helix really is iCore, then I doubt it'll be thinner than the Thinkpad 2, which is Atom. Perhaps this would lead one to the double-cpu idea I've seen passed around, where the base is the iCore compatible part, and the top is some sort of Atom cpu??? I dunno.

Or perhaps the measurements are just being reported wrong.... ;P

So, yeah, its confusing right now.

Wait and Hope.

Thinkpad X301 | Asus Note 8 | Nokia 928
    Asus M80TA - Failsafe Point +9

Wow, you're right, the S7H is only .78" thick. That's very thin! If it looks thick in the pic, it's just design. I've seen my wife's Macbook Air upclose many times (while drooling over build quality), and that thing is thin, and it's about the same thickness. Of course, it's also 13", so that makes a difference in how thin it seems.

Still, if the occassionally mentioned issues with balance are an issue, I'd rather have a thicker base if it helped my have a better weighted laptop. I also want a good keyboard. I'm not really interested in sacrificing key travel and ease of typing for .25" of thickness, if you know what I mean. Having read about how well the Touch Cover types though, on the Surface, I'm just sort of blown away. So who knows, right?

You're math is interesting re: the Helix-- the idea of 14.5 being the TOTAL thickness is crazy thin for an iCore with 10 hours of battery life and a keyboard dock..... In the pic you linked to, the Helix seems exceptionally thin, but in many other pics, it looks nothing like that to me. ????
    Currently own:

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902

Pen Pal - Newbie

So it was taken down from the Israeli site... no official sign of this device now. Shame, it ticks all the boxes for me.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

It looks fantastic, but 11.6" and 16:9? Bleh! A thin keyboard dock also suggests that they could have made the dock battery bigger, but a sheet battery could sort that out and if the 10 hour run time is accurate, then it shouldn't be an issue. The trackpad looks luxuriously big, but they seem to have removed the physical buttons. =(

Tams, I don't know why you would complain about 16:9 11.6"-- it's what every single screen for a hybrid has right now. That or smaller. Almost every single one. Sure, I like 16:10 too, but it's not like its a surprise.
    Currently own:

(x) / fashion

The aspect 16:10 may go extinct soon. Right now, I think only the HP ElitePad 900 uses it.
    Hi! I'm a Tablet PC....and I'm not a goddamn toy.
    HP TM2 (i5-430UM, ATI HD-5450) | HP TC1100 (Celeron 800MHz).

WPrime/WEI Benchmark thread for Tablet PCs:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hard...ablet-pcs.html

Do you think this model could be downgradable to win7?
    Is win8 suitable for professional use?

Thread Information