ThinkPad Helix looks promising - Page 5

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 95 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: ThinkPad Helix looks promising

Scribbler - Standard Member

Default Re: ThinkPad Helix looks promising

Just wondering: any chance Lenovo announce Helix along with Thursday/Friday's MS event?
    Last edited by Sandiegosd; 10-24-2012 at 10:29 PM.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sandiegosd View Post
    Just wondering: any chance Lenovo announce Helix along with Thursday/Friday's MS event?
    They have not advertise it in major English blogs, so I think your answer is no. unfortunately .

Pen Pro - Senior Member

found it on the lenovo site, so id say its going to making a debut at some point soon. It doesnt say anything about it, but the fact that its there is pretty promising. New Products from Lenovo - Tablets - Laptops- Desktops - New Technologies (IL)

Trackpoint Diehard

Soooo.... Here we are!

New Products from Lenovo - Tablets - Laptops- Desktops - New Technologies (IL)

LAPTOP, TABLET AND EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN.
    THINKPAD HELIX

Powered by Windows 8, with full MS Office support
    Detachable Ultrabook™ design with tablet, laptop and stand modes
    Vibrant wide-view 400-nit IPS multitouch display
    Digitizer pen converts handwriting into digital text
    Up to 10 hours battery life

Moving 'up' from iPAQ

Interesting proposition from this guy; he thinks the removable 'tablet' portion will be something more like the TP Tablet 2 and the 'base' will have the i7.

Good bye ThinkPad X230t! Hello Helix!

Didn't Lenovo show a concept like this a couple years ago where the base had the Windows guts and the removable tablet ran Android? That concept did not make sense but an i7/CloverTrail combination would work.

Although he cites 'credable sources from overseas' it sure still sounds like speculation to me.
    regards,

Dan
    Doing the device shuffle again:
    *New* ThinkPad i7 Helix pressed into daily service as of 4-Aug-2014 - phenomenal cosmic power?
    HP Elitepad 1000 - my former main device - do I keep this or my V8P as my sidekick now
    Dell Venue 8 Pro - my ultra mobile device (I cannot believe where I can stick this thing)

(x) / fashion

Cool. That might turn out to be a great business tablet.
    Hi! I'm a Tablet PC and I'm not a goddamn toy.
    HP TC1100 > HP TM2 > ThinkPad Helix or ThinkPad 10
    Lumia 625 > Galaxy Note 3 Neo

WPrime/WEI benchmarks for TabletPCs
    ThinkPad 10: Compendium (tips, hacks, accessories)
    New User Guide for Samsung Series 7 Slate

Quote Originally Posted by tabletartist4d View Post
    found it on the lenovo site, so id say its going to making a debut at some point soon. It doesnt say anything about it, but the fact that its there is pretty promising. New Products from Lenovo - Tablets - Laptops- Desktops - New Technologies (IL)
    Why is the 1st gen tablet still there? Didn't Lenovo discontinue that already??

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I would think if Lenovo did that, it would bring the price up a good bit(for the tablet and base), seeing as it essentially would have to cpus. The tablet portion itself may start a little more than the TPT2 seeing as it would be the same device, but with a larger/better screen.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Hope for 13" helix version lol

Regarding the dimensions - that picture (ʼDZ ThinkPadڶƽ巢_IT168) of top (14.5mm) and bottom (11mm) I am pretty sure is a comparison of the current thinkpad tablet (which, uncoincidentally, is 14.5mm), and the helix tablet+dock together (11mm). You can see that the bottom picture has the tablet docked into the part that flaps out when opened in laptop mode. And it's sitting on top of the thin keyboard.

Even if 11mm just for the tablet, that must put the whole thing at 15-16mm which is insane. And if the whole thing is 11mm? ......

Also to the poster that found the chinese video of the thing being docked on page 2 of this thread, that was the Lynx being docked, not the Helix.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Ok, boys and girls, here's a pic of it just as a slate. I see usb and hdmi and sd maybe? I don't have any experience with HDMI so I can't tell. Also, that pen sure looks Wacom-ish to me....
    Attachment 2707

And here's one with the dock locked in. Once again, I see 2 usb and hdmi-- I wonder if its routing them from the slate to the base through the docking mechanism? According to the specs I list below in this post, this should be 1" thick??
    Attachment 2706

This is it as a laptop-
    Attachment 2708

Here's the site with all of a great series of pics. Holy mole, does it look sweet! The pen looks very much like Wacom. Opinions? There's what looks to be a fantastic array of ports on the slate itself, plus more on the dock.

E-schreiber, I think the pic you linked to is a comparison pic between the Thinkpad Tablet and the Helix, noting how they both have silos. Notice the matte exterior (Thinkpad Tab) versus "shiny" exterior on the new tablet (presumably the Helix)? That's my guess anyways.

BTW, specs look something like this, according to this site--
    -11.6" screen
    -16:9 full HD screen
    -10 hours battery life with dock
    -pen with silo on slate
    -mirco USB and micro HDMI on slate? or so it says on this website
    -I see two full USB and HDMI (?) on the dock in the above pic (I see one "under" each hinge), but can't tell for sure
    -looks very thin- I'm seeing 11mm for the dock and 14.5mm for the screen according to the specs sheet, but who knows??... I can't tell if those are comparison specs between it and something else, or if that's with and then without the keyboard, etc 11 mm is thin- .47"! 14.5 mm= .57 inches. If its a measurement per part (screen and dock) then its 1.00" in the money. When you see the slate docked, it's clear the dock as a "L" shape, because it's thicker at the back to accommodate the ports, and the slate rests on the keyboard. Thus, I wonder if the dock is 11 mm thick on the keyboard, but "full" thickeness at the back, right? Is 11mm (.47") thick enough for a good keyboard? Either way, very thin, IMO.
    -Nothing on weight yet that I can find.

My major concerns are still-
    -How well does a 1/2" thin keyboard work? Are other keyboards already this thin, and if so how do they work?
    -trackpoint buttons and how things might work without them, but still with the trackpoint itself.
    -balance
    -hinge design- does this open and close like a clamshell? It seems to, to me, but I can't tell. Looks like a hinge in front to me though.
    -this is all still sort of hearsay for now. I'd take it all with a grain of salt.... still..... phew! it's nice lookin'!

Thread Information