ThinkPad Helix looks promising - Page 4

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 95 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: ThinkPad Helix looks promising

Default Re: ThinkPad Helix looks promising

There's a lot of presumptions going around about specs still, but re: Lenovo- I agree that pricing is usually aggressive, given the common build quality. That's one of the benefits to me.

I'm still waiting on Motion to put out something newer, thinner, with a real dock, because one of the things I'm looking for is a real outdoor viewable screen. But who knows? I DO think its not a bad idea to wait until atleast most of the big companies put out their first versions of these new types of models-- there'll be upgrades later (as in, what's the major differences between the x201t, x220t, and x230t really?), but these are essentially all entirely new products, and in a rain of tablets too. Thus, the wait for me.... particularly because no one has really released exactly what I'm looking for.

If something is giving you what you want, then I see no reason to wait. But if its a compromise, I see no harm in waiting before you spend 1000$ or more, personally-- particularly with so many new tablets all coming out at once. Still, if this had a matte, outdoor screen, I'd snap it up.
    Currently own:
    x230t Outdoor-- Win 7 x64, 256 GB SSD , 16 gb ram, 6-cell
    Thinkpad Tablet 2- Win 8.1, 64 GB SSD, 2 GB RAM

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902, q552

Outdoor Viewable Screens- Comparison Thread with Pics

(x) / fashion

Quote Originally Posted by tabletartist4d View Post
    What I would want is an i7 (not necessary but hey if you can, why not?),
    Because it might yield marginal CPU improvement over the i5 CPU, with the undesired side-effect of shorter battety-life, increased heat output, louder fans and higher price. There are compromises to be considered.

I'm hoping that the Helix will be available with an i5 CPU as well. By the way, I might have missed it, but I haven't seen any clarification on the type of CPU....Is it ULV?
    Hi! I'm a Tablet PC and I'm not a goddamn toy.
    HP TC1100 > HP TM2 > ThinkPad Helix or ThinkPad 10
    Lumia 625 > Galaxy Note 3 Neo

WPrime/WEI benchmarks for TabletPCs
    ThinkPad 10: Compendium (tips, hacks, accessories)
    New User Guide for Samsung Series 7 Slate

I've seen nothing yet on the cpu either. The truth is I've seen almost nothing in English yet at all. We don't really even know if the pen is Wacom or not-- that's been judged purely by the shape and thickness of the pen.
    Currently own:

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902, q552

Pen Pro - Senior Member

this picture says i7 processor and from the looks of the pen I would bet money its the same tech used in the S-pen for samsungs products which would also mean more than likely 1024 levels of pressure, but i need more hard evidence on this.
    http://image20.it168.com/picshow/900...6391775900.jpg

My understanding (from Shog's comments?) is that the S-Pen tech is the same ol' 256 levels of pressure, and they're just simulating the 1024 levels with software. I've not used a Wacom product with that many levels, so I can't say, but he (and perhaps others?) stated pretty clearly that, for example, the Note 10.1" definitely was NOT as smooth and soft as 1024-level Wacom tablet. So its hard to say on that one.

The truth is 256 is fine with me. I've got a Cintiq 18sx with 512, and I can't tell the difference. If I had tilt and rotation, that would be different, but the levels of pressure just doesn't mean much to me. What you really need to do is alter the input for the digitizer so that your required input of pressure to make a mark is lower. There's a small program for that. Now I just graze my tablet pc screen and get a nice, fine line. Easily as smooth and delicate as my 18sx. I'm not saying its like a 21" top-of-the-line Cintiq or anything, but it's very nice, IMO, and much much better than before with the OOB settings.
    Currently own:

Wait and Hope.

Thinkpad X301 | Asus Note 8 | Nokia 928

(x) / fashion

Assuming it's as good as it "seems", the Helix would be a great buy off eBay in a year or two! Same thing goes for the Ativ Pro.
    Hi! I'm a Tablet PC and I'm not a goddamn toy.
    HP TC1100 > HP TM2 > ThinkPad Helix or ThinkPad 10
    Lumia 625 > Galaxy Note 3 Neo

WPrime/WEI benchmarks for TabletPCs
    ThinkPad 10: Compendium (tips, hacks, accessories)
    New User Guide for Samsung Series 7 Slate

LOL! I like that thinking e-schreiber! That tends to be how I think too. In my mind, I'm like-- well, I could get this in a year...... ahahahaha!
    Currently own:

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by e-schreiber View Post
    Assuming it's as good as it "seems", the Helix would be a great buy off eBay in a year or two! Same thing goes for the Ativ Pro.
    Helix maybe, but from the sounds of things the Ativ Pro still has questionable build.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

yeah i was thinking something along those lines this morning. "if i could just wait a few months after release im sure i can get a couple hundred off". But im impatient sometimes and if you wait too long youre just gonna want the next thing, but who knows im gonna do my best to see what everyone has to offer.

As far as the pressure levels, im really not the type of person to ever be concerned with that. But i can say i tried out the S-pen on my galaxy note 2 vs the pen that came with my series 7 slate and the s-pen seems to have a more noticeable gradual transition of pressure. It seems like its in the pen itself and the sensor seems like it might be calibrated tighter. The s-pen needs only feather touch to make slight lines but tougher push for the hardest lines and the transition seems more accurate. This is true when using both pens on both devices. I think it was also mostly noticeable in sketchbook mobile. I might try to do some more testing and maybe a video comparison, but i can honestly say i do feel a difference and the pressure of the s-pen feels more natural but the form factor of the original pens obviously feels better in hand and gives you less fatige.

Thread Information