ThinkPad Helix looks promising - Page 3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 93 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Default Re: ThinkPad Helix looks promising

I agree about price. If the S7H is 1200$, I expect this to be atleast as much, if not more-- you'll be paying more for brand loyalty, enterprise-level service, and built quality.... assuming it's as good as the X-series. But yeah- iCore, perhaps Wacom, silo on slate, dock with extra battery, ports on both-- I'd presume something more than 1200$, honestly. Perhaps more like the q702, which ran 1500$ or so.

If the hypothetical specs are true, and they keep it down to 1200$, I'll be pleased, honestly. That's a good price for something in the x-series line that's also a detachable, and which seems to have all the things we're looking for.
    Currently own:
    x230t Outdoor-- Win 7 x64, 256 gb ssd, 16 gb ram, 6-cell
    q552 -- Win7 x32, 2 gb ram, outdoor slate for work

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902

Outdoor Viewable Screens- Comparison Thread with Pics

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I take this is going to be ULV i core cpu, and not some how a full voltage cpu, like the current X series?

A bit OT, but does Intel still make LV cpus? I know the X series had LV option for a while.

Wait and Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodycape View Post
    A bit OT, but does Intel still make LV cpus? I know the X series had LV option for a while.
    Nope.

This does look interesting. A W8 Pro Tablet with a Thinkpad Keyboard is a great combination for a business hybrid. If it's available before the Surface Pro, I'll probably give it some serious consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by nheel View Post
    I did some snooping around on some chinese sites and found this quick video of the tablet being docked and undocked.
    I think that's the Ideapad hybrid in that video. I don't see the thinkpad button in the keyboard.
    Last edited by Bronsky; 10-22-2012 at 03:28 PM.
    Thinkpad X301 | Asus Note 8 | Nokia 928
    Asus M80TA - Failsafe Point +4

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bronsky View Post

This does look interesting. A W8 Pro Tablet with a Thinkpad Keyboard is a great combination for a business hybrid. If it's available before the Surface Pro, I'll probably give it some serious consideration.
    THIS is how Microsoft destroys Apple........multiple form factors, configurations and processors. The public can choose whatever fits their needs and budget the best.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Searching around, its a little unclear, but it looks like its detachable with a doc...
    This link is to a Chinese site, but you can see the silo, the dock, some ports, etc.
    The third pic says the Lynx is priced at ¥3800(chinese currency) ~=$600, and it estimates the Helix to be above ¥8k (~$1270)

Man...I wish i could get this thing for 1270! I'm all in

Pen Pro - Senior Member

ugh this is killing me. I was pretty much set on either the surface or the ativ pro. The surface for build quality but slightly leaning towards the ativ for the keyboard dock and wacom tech. I love my note 2 phone and have faith the ativ will be a great product, but im starting to agree with everyone else about the plastic build. For 1200$ it should be more sturdy than plastic. Also where did the 256gb option go? If the helix is in fact starting around the same price and has the option for a core i7, with wacom then its the absolute winner for me. Im somewhat impatient and almost preordered the ativ pro, but I really think im gonna have to wait this one out so Im confident with my decision. Also Erik was right, im typing this on my macbook air right now, which i will retire to my fiance once I get the proper slate i want. Apple makes great products but im ready to embrace something new, already moved over to android and rarely use my iPad anymore. Really excited for the next few months and the helix, i hope it comes to fruition.

In this pic it appears to have a flash, which isnt a huge deal but i wondered why none of these slates seemed to have one. This thing appears to have all the bells and whistles.
    http://image20.it168.com/picshow/900...6372282100.jpg

And in the picture with two silos, one is infact the current line with ntrig tech and the other seems to be wacom on the helix with a samsung s-pen style pen.
    Last edited by tabletartist4d; 10-23-2012 at 12:07 AM.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by bloodycape View Post
    I take this is going to be ULV i core cpu, and not some how a full voltage cpu, like the current X series?
    The keyboard/dock looks to have quite a developed cooling system, that would suggest full-voltage CPU.
    It's quite interesting that while docked the tablet would have better cooling that stand-alone? Maybe it will be throttled when not docked, in order to have a longer battery life?
    Last edited by digitallysane; 10-28-2012 at 02:52 PM.

Moving 'up' from iPAQ

Quote Originally Posted by tabletartist4d View Post
    ugh this is killing me. I was pretty much set on either the surface or the ativ pro.

* Snip
    Well, all I can say is that you need to be careful and take some deep breaths There is always something 'just around the corner' that looks better, specs better, makes you second guess your plans. Just about the time you decide to hold off to get more data on the Helix there will be something leaked about HP, Dell, or Motion. It is a never ending game of 'whack-a-mole.'

Emotion runs high and I suggest you instead make a list! A list of features that is ...those that are 'required' for your future device, and those that are 'wants.' Then, when you read about stuff or see leaks about devices, compare the device to your list to see if it meets the feature needs and wants. If it does you have your device and can stop looking. If it does not meet your needs/wants you discard AND NEVER LOOK AT IT AGAIN.

This Helix is going to be way beyond most people's needs with the i7 CPU, and with it will be a price that is way beyond what most want. It is good to see someone like Lenovo really spiking the football though, as that will bring product plans out of the closet that others may be putting off thinking there was no market. A slate version of a HP 2760P like device jumps to the forefront of my mind on this...something people have been clamoring for years for! Go Lenovo!
    regards,

Dan
    Doing the device shuffle again:
    * New * Dell Venue 8 Pro - my ultra mobile device
    HP Elitepad with Win 8.1 (used) - looking for purpose now
    Fujitsu Q702 i5 with Win 8.1 - my main device
    Fujitsu Stylistic Q550 with Win 7 - has started to collect dust

Ah, I hadn't recognized those were fans in the back of the dock to help the slate keep cool. Duh! That's a very neat and simple idea that I haven't seen anywhere. I'm not sure if the whole device will pan out, but there's a lot about the design of the product that seems rather innovative.
    Currently own:
    x230t Outdoor-- Win 7 x64, 256 gb ssd, 16 gb ram, 6-cell
    q552 -- Win7 x32, 2 gb ram, outdoor slate for work

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902

Outdoor Viewable Screens- Comparison Thread with Pics

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dceggert View Post
    Well, all I can say is that you need to be careful and take some deep breaths There is always something 'just around the corner' that looks better....!
    Yes I agree, which is why i havent pre ordered the ativ. But in that same sense you have to, at some point just pull the trigger because if you keep waiting for the next big thing, you will wait forever. I do have a list of needs and wants. For me it needs to have an HD screen, wacom, a keyboard dock, and at least a core i5. What I would want is an i7 (not necessary but hey if you can, why not?), and maybe a 256gb ssd, but again im fine with 128gb. The surface seems nice but im not sure about jumping into a new pen tech when i know wacom works amazingly. I even love my note phone with the s pen. I will wait to hear more about the new lenovo line but like i said, i cant wait forever so hopefully details start coming out because at this point its pretty damn obscure. If the rumors and speculation are true, it seems to be the winner for me. Solid build, good processor, wacom, keyboard dock with built in battery. For me HP, Dell, and Motion arent options. HP makes junk unless you buy the buisiness line which runs about $2000 or more. Dell ive had horrible experiences with, and Motion products are way over priced for the specs as well. Lenovo has a pretty good reputation and you can usually get the product you want for around $1200- $1500 depending on specs with discounts on the website.

Thread Information