ThinkPad Helix looks promising - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 93 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
    Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: ThinkPad Helix looks promising

I wonder where engadget got those pics from? Looks like a trade show? Let's hope some video and more concrete details follow this up. This looks like a killer tablet.

Moving 'up' from iPAQ

Some observations and a guess at the end... First, the observations:

- this is the toughest hinge system I have ever seen on a tablet system and it may suggest high end business use as its intent. Why go through all the trouble of providing a separate cover?
    - the i7 suggests the same intended use.
    - one of the pictures at the engadget site shows a product ID and S/N suggesting it isn't just a prototype of a potential future product.
    - it has the Windows 8 key on a US keyboard.

So, my guess is that this is a new version of the "X" series or an intended replacement..
    regards,

Dan
    Doing the device shuffle again:
    * New * Dell Venue 8 Pro - my ultra mobile device
    HP Elitepad with Win 8.1 (used) - looking for purpose now
    Fujitsu Q702 i5 with Win 8.1 - my main device
    Fujitsu Stylistic Q550 with Win 7 - has started to collect dust

Nheel- What I read on a translated forum was that there was exactly that- a trade show or a special event held in Shangai last week, where Lenovo outed the device.

Assuming it is what I think it is, ha!, yes... the thing looks killer. I wish the screen wasn't so glossy though. That's quite clear from the engadget pics. Can't anyone make a nice, gorgeous, outdoor/bright light viewable, matte screen? sigh.

edit-
    Dceggert- Indeed, I first read that this was the replacement/death knell/ evolution of the X-series tablets. If so, then no more swivel screen, but, frankly, if this is the alternative, I'd be a very happy boy indeed. Being the x-Series replacement bodes well to me, as it would imply its a premium product- Wacom, iCore, double battery, good service, sturdy build, etc. There are things I would miss- trackpoint buttons, swivel screen, etc.-- but I could give them up for some of these benefits, if it were to work out right....
    Last edited by Steve B; 10-21-2012 at 07:39 PM.
    Currently own:
    x230t Outdoor-- Win 7 x64, 256 gb ssd, 16 gb ram, 6-cell
    q552 -- Win7 x32, 2 gb ram, outdoor slate for work

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902

Outdoor Viewable Screens- Comparison Thread with Pics

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Maybe the most exciting development: an X-series tablet with a vertical resolution larger than 768 pixels. Finally! Next: where's that desktop dock? I'm sure Steve can dig something up..

(x) / fashion

This might be the true successor to the TC-1100. Looks great!

An interesting thing I noticed is that all the ports are located on the bottom of the slate (when held in landscape mode). I didn't see ports anywhere else. And on the keyboard-dock, all the ports are in the back. No ports anywhere else. I wonder if Lenovo plans to release it before Xmas. Why hasn't Engadget US mentioned this device yet?
    Hi! I'm a Tablet PC....and I'm not a goddamn toy.
    HP TM2 (i5-430UM, ATI HD-5450) | HP TC1100 (Celeron 800MHz).

WPrime/WEI Benchmark thread for Tablet PCs:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hard...ablet-pcs.html

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I did some snooping around on some chinese sites and found this quick video of the tablet being docked and undocked. Looks nice.

Ϻ뷢ȫ׿360ȷ*תʼDZ_Ƶ ۿ_Ƶ Ϻ ȫ ʼDZ 뼯Ŷ*³

Nheel-
    Great find! The connection looks rock solid to me. Curious to see it eventually in a longer review.

JoeS-
    Well, I looked around, but I couldn't find any info yet about a base dock- that would be a nice thing though! ... and much in the tradition of the X-series. I'd love something like a clip on dock with an extra HDD bay and/or dvd drive option, extra battery, etc. That would be dreamy.

e-schreiber-
    Re: the ports- I agree, an interesting design decision to have all the ports at the back of the laptop and the bottom of the slate. Not sure how that'd be to use (instead of the sides), but I've not liked the idea of having ports on the side of my screen either, frankly (like how the S7H might be?). As a laptop, ports should be positioned perpendicular to and located close to the desk-- this design seems to provide this.

Seems like the design was pushed by the need to make an excellent docking system. I think the L-shaped idea of pushing all of that to back, and having the slate dock in front of that, provides a great opportunity to have the thickness required to easily provide the ports in the dock, without having the base be too thick in general.

If this does really top out at 1" thick as a laptop, that'd be really pretty nice. I actually think it looks even thinner in of the pics where people are holding it, but the specs seem to suggest 1" total, so who knows? BTW- has anyone tried typing on something 1/2" thick? What kind of travel can we expect? Would it feel normal still?

As for weight- I'd be quite happy with 3- 3.5 lbs if we can get all of this functionality and battery life out of this. 3.5 lbs in truth would be great with the extra battery and 10 hour of battery life, but this seems so thin and impressive, frankly, I thought they might be able to get it down to 3. 3 lbs would be like my le1600-- a bit heavy to carry around a lot, but acceptable. It's really the ergonomics of thinness and gripping with the hand that matters, IMO.

Besides, you could just use the slate on its own, right? Wonder what the battery life for it is, on its own-- probably like the S7H....??? 4-6 hours for the slate?
    Last edited by Steve B; 10-21-2012 at 08:29 PM.
    Currently own:
    x230t Outdoor-- Win 7 x64, 256 gb ssd, 16 gb ram, 6-cell
    q552 -- Win7 x32, 2 gb ram, outdoor slate for work

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902

Outdoor Viewable Screens- Comparison Thread with Pics

Pen Pro - Senior Member

This looks real nice and definitely a contender. Anyone know how much this could possibly weigh?
    Last edited by Mhotep; 10-21-2012 at 08:30 PM.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by e-schreiber View Post
    This might be the true successor to the TC-1100. Looks great!

An interesting thing I noticed is that all the ports are located on the bottom of the slate (when held in landscape mode). I didn't see ports anywhere else. And on the keyboard-dock, all the ports are in the back. No ports anywhere else. I wonder if Lenovo plans to release it before Xmas. Why hasn't Engadget US mentioned this device yet?
    Agreed. This is probably the most impressive tablet PC device running Core i CPUs I've seen to date. The ASUS Transformer Book was a let down with no stylus, and the Fujitsu series decided to go with N-trig for some reason. Finally, it seems that somebody got it right.

Moving 'up' from iPAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Rommie2k6 View Post
    Agreed. This is probably the most impressive tablet PC device running Core i CPUs I've seen to date. The ASUS Transformer Book was a let down with no stylus, and the Fujitsu series decided to go with N-trig for some reason. Finally, it seems that somebody got it right.
    Yes, but brace yourself. If this is targeted for enterprise as a replacement for the X-series then it is going to cost $1,500 + by the time we option it out. It isn't a Samsung Atliv X500 competitor!

Also, keep in mind that as a TC1100 replacement the cost of that machine was $3,200 in 2004 which, adjusted for inflation to today, is about $3,900..almost what I paid for my son's car. It will not be that much but it is something to think about when people want devices like this.
    regards,

Dan
    Doing the device shuffle again:
    * New * Dell Venue 8 Pro - my ultra mobile device
    HP Elitepad with Win 8.1 (used) - looking for purpose now
    Fujitsu Q702 i5 with Win 8.1 - my main device
    Fujitsu Stylistic Q550 with Win 7 - has started to collect dust

Thread Information