ThinkPad Helix looks promising - Page 11

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 95 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: ThinkPad Helix looks promising

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: ThinkPad Helix looks promising

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Latranyi View Post
    No offense, but art work on a tablet represents what percentage of total sales?!
    It's not just artists that benefit from full voltage CPU's. Engineers, Drafters, and buyers using complex math programs and voice dictation programs all need more CPU power than a ULV can give... there's plenty of more reasons too.

It's weird that in this era, my T902 is considered too "bulky" by the average consumer, but being 4.1 lbs. and this versatile is LIGHT and MOBILE compared to any laptop I have seen or used with even close to the same power. My last laptop was a 17" Sattelite Pro from Toshiba and it was twice as heavy, monstrous footprint, and only had a fraction of the power of my Fujitsu.

All things in perspective, I don't understand why the full voltage processors and their slightly larger more robust forms are getting the boot when they are barely a compromise in mobility or ease of use. I think there are plenty of people out there who need the power, but settle with the desktops for their "real"work, and then try their best to use and justify these ULV or android devices as supplementary work tools.
    My Fujitsu T902
    -i7-3520M -16 gigs of RAM -512 gig SSD -extra modular bay battery -Wacom penabled dual digitizer 13.3" 1600x900

Wife's Sony Vaio Duo 13
    -i5 4200U -8 gigs RAM -256 gig SSD -Ntrig Duosense 2 dual digitizer 13.3" 1920x1080

2D animator and illustrator - Sketchbook: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=272229

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by stoneseeker View Post
    It's not just artists that benefit from full voltage CPU's. Engineers, Drafters, and buyers using complex math programs and voice dictation programs all need more CPU power than a ULV can give... there's plenty of more reasons too.

It's weird that in this era, my T902 is considered too "bulky" by the average consumer, but being 4.1 lbs. and this versatile is LIGHT and MOBILE compared to any laptop I have seen or used with even close to the same power. My last laptop was a 17" Sattelite Pro from Toshiba and it was twice as heavy, monstrous footprint, and only had a fraction of the power of my Fujitsu.

All things in perspective, I don't understand why the full voltage processors and their slightly larger more robust forms are getting the boot when they are barely a compromise in mobility or ease of use. I think there are plenty of people out there who need the power, but settle with the desktops for their "real"work, and then try their best to use and justify these ULV or android devices as supplementary work tools.
    Amen to that.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by stoneseeker View Post

The gap is closing. It will not be long before you have the processing strength you need in a low power consumption CPU.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah this looks great, I was pretty much set on the samsung ativ pro, but to be honest the few reviews that have popped through they've have led me to believe that something better is on the way, and this Helix might just be it.
    Just a couple of questions for me is (not sure if anyone knows the answer to these) but for a digital artist:

- how many levels of pressure will the pen support
    - and can we use artDock/paintDock or something similar when using software like photoshop and zbrush, because you dont want to keep accessing the keyboard you need some sort of on screen overlay

Thanks

Arvind!

Pressure sensitivity will be like all the other tablet pc's I would presume, and Artrdock currently only works on a few select Win7 devices, afaik-- the ep121, a thinkpad of some sort, and S7. You're not the only one who would like Artdock on a new Win8 slate. I'm surprised it hasn't been brought up more, as I think it would make these machines fantastically more productive.
    Currently own:
    x230t Outdoor-- Win 7 x64, 256 GB SSD , 16 gb ram, 6-cell
    Thinkpad Tablet 2- Win 8.1, 64 GB SSD, 2 GB RAM

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902, q552

Outdoor Viewable Screens- Comparison Thread with Pics

Pen Pal - Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Pressure sensitivity will be like all the other tablet pc's I would presume, and Artrdock currently only works on a few select Win7 devices, afaik-- the ep121, a thinkpad of some sort, and S7. You're not the only one who would like Artdock on a new Win8 slate. I'm surprised it hasn't been brought up more, as I think it would make these machines fantastically more productive.
    Exactly, I mean what is the point of an ultrabook tablet if you have to keep converting back to the keyboard to use shortcuts on more of the powerful softwares (which is what the ultrabooks are aimed at anyway)
    Really hope someone converts the artDock or makes something similar, would benefit many programs, not just for digital artists

Arvind!

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Latranyi View Post
    The gap is closing. It will not be long before you have the processing strength you need in a low power consumption CPU.
    Exactly, Haswell. If rumored performance/power consumption of the new Haswell Intel chips is true than I wouldn't be surprised if Lenovo is waiting to announce that the Helix will be using those chips (maybe during the upcoming CES). Of course that means that it probably won't be available til summer or fall, but if it can add several hours to the device and compete closely with current i5/i7 chips than it would be worth the wait.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zeelobby View Post
    Exactly, Haswell. If rumored performance/power consumption of the new Haswell Intel chips is true than I wouldn't be surprised if Lenovo is waiting to announce that the Helix will be using those chips (maybe during the upcoming CES). Of course that means that it probably won't be available til summer or fall, but if it can add several hours to the device and compete closely with current i5/i7 chips than it would be worth the wait.
    And Boom, right on queue: Leaked chart appears to spill beans on Intel's Haswell desktop CPU range

Looks like some pretty solid chips, will have to see what their performance is, but I have high hopes that powerful low-powered alternatives to current ULV chips will be on the way soon.

Trackpoint Diehard

There is a User's Guide leaked at Lenovo Chinese site http://webdoc.lenovo.com.cn/lenovows...%8D%97V1.0.pdf

It says:
    Features

Processor
    Intel Core i3, i5 or i7 ULV processor

Operating system
    Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Memory
    4 GB

Built-in storage
    mSATA solid state drive: 128GB, 180GB, 256 GB (depending on the model may be)

Display
    Infinity Glass
    Size: 294.64 mm (11.6 inches)
    Screen resolution: 1920 x 1080 pixels
    automatic brightness control (ambient light sensor)
    multi-touch technology
    Support for ThinkPad Digitizer Pen input
    Built-in digital dual array microphone
    a number of built-in stereo speakers

The keyboard in the keyboard on the docking station
    6 line full-size keyboard
    ThinkPad positioning device (TrackPoint pointing device and touchpad)
    Fn key function
    volume control keys
    The speaker mute button
    Microphone mute button

Integrated camera
    front camera megapixels
    rear camera, 50 megapixels

Interface
    Tablet PC:
    - A USB 2.0 interface
    - A Mini DisplayPort interface
    - An AC power connector
    - Two keyboard docking connector
    - A combination of audio interface
    keyboard docking station:
    - Two USB 3.0 ports
    - A Mini DisplayPort interface
    - An AC power connector

GPS and wireless features
    Global Positioning System (GPS) satellite receiver (models equipped with wireless WAN)
    Bluetooth 4.0 (with some models)
    NFC (with some models)
    Wireless LAN (802.11a/g/n)
    Wireless WAN (equipped ThinkPad X1 Helix 3G)

Specification

Size
    Tablet PC:
    - Length: 296.1 mm (11.66 inches)
    - Width: 187.3 mm (7.37 inches)
    - Height: 11.1 mm (0.44 in.)
    keyboard docking station:
    - Length: 296.1 mm (11.66 inches)
    - Width: 226 mm (8.90 in.)
    - Height: 8.5 mm (0.33 inch)

Battery
    Tablet PC: 42Wh lithium-polymer battery
    keyboard docking station: 28Wh lithium-polymer battery
    Power supply (AC adapter)
    sine wave input, 50-60 Hz
    AC power adapter rated input: 100 VAC to 240 VAC

Pen Pal - Newbie

So from the PDF I get that this Helix thing is the succesor to X1, not to the X2x0 line.

Thread Information