ThinkPad Helix looks promising - Page 10

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 95 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: ThinkPad Helix looks promising

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: ThinkPad Helix looks promising

Quote Originally Posted by Shogmaster View Post
    I guess we should all thank Fujitsu for sticking with full voltage Wacom equipped convertibles when all others are abandoning the form factor...
    That and giving us an AMD based tablet with two usb ports and a digitizer, though it is N-Trig(better than nothing). There is also that odd 11.6in model that is the Helix competitor with ulv cpu, but that's also N-Trig. Why can't Lenovo give us this much option in their Thinkpad line.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Shogmaster View Post
    The thin and small form factor dictates that the RAM will be soldered on the motherboard. And that and the maximum density they currently use for DDR3 chip size also dictates that maximum ODMs will put on the mobo is 4GB of RAM.
    The deciding factor in a laptop replacement for me is available RAM. 4GB of RAM doesn't make for a good laptop replacement. 8GB is the minimum amount of RAM that would be acceptable. I'm hoping that they do make an 8GB version. I'm unfamiliar with with the board architecture but if the Macbook Air with an Ivy Bridge i7 (although a different chip 3667u, I'm assuming the Helix will have the same ulv i7 3517u as the Vaio Duo 11) allows for 8GB DDR3L to be soldered to the board why not on the Helix.
    Last edited by paul.p; 12-04-2012 at 09:17 PM.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

More room on the Macbook Air. Helix has to contain all the necessary components to run it as a computer in the slate portion. Macbook Air can divide that into two housing, even though one of them will have keyboard that Helix's slate portion will not need to contain, it nevertheless has more room. Also, MBA doesn't need to worry about Wacom digitizer board and it's controller board.

I'm not saying that it's impossible to shove in 8GB of RAM on the mobo on the Helix, I'm saying that even if they are using the same density chips as MBA, it's improbable. 8GB MBA has 16 of 4GBit chips on it. 16 chips! It's probably 8 per each side of the board. That's not gonna fly in 11.6" slates that are super cramped for space.

I think in order to see 8GB of RAM in 11.6" slates, I think we need to wait for the higher density DDR3 chips to be widely available (8GBit).
    Last edited by Shogmaster; 12-04-2012 at 11:38 PM.
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2766&dateline=1273874722

Pen Pal - Newbie

@Shogmaster

Thanks for the link. I guess I have to give Apple credit where it's due because I never realized how impressive the MBA really was. On top of all the RAM(8GB) and Flash Storage (512GB) they seem to cram a good amount of battery in there(50kwh).

So if the Helix is a Wacom touch/pen enabled 11.6" slim convertible/hybrid with 8GB RAM and an extended battery life with the dock, it would be the ideal Laptop replacement. Here's to hoping that those additional 4GB make it, otherwise I'll have to learn to live with N-trig on the Vaio Duo 11.

ƒ(x) / fashion

Quote Originally Posted by paul.p View Post
    So if the Helix is a Wacom touch/pen enabled 11.6" slim convertible/hybrid with 8GB RAM and an extended battery life with the dock, [...]
    The Helix makes me salivate. Probably the closest thing to the TC-1100 so far. If only the TPT2 had a better keyboard-dock....then I'd be able to save some money as the Clover Trail CPU is probably enough for me. The Helix will likely cost over $1,200.
    Hi! I'm a Tablet PC and I'm not a goddamn toy.
    HP TC1100 > HP TM2 > ThinkPad Helix or ThinkPad 10
    Lumia 625 > Galaxy Note 3 Neo

WPrime/WEI benchmarks for TabletPCs
    ThinkPad 10: Compendium (tips, hacks, accessories)
    New User Guide for Samsung Series 7 Slate

Scribbler - Standard Member

I donīt think it will be that expensive. Take a look on the Surface Pro, it will cost 899 $ +. so maybe the Helix will start at 900-1000 $

Pen Pro - Senior Member

The Helix will be $1,200+ all day long...at least for the version worth getting ;-)

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by czm2000 View Post
    The Helix will be $1,200+ all day long...at least for the version worth getting ;-)
    Plus being heavy. Minus 5 hours of battery

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by czm2000 View Post
    Ha! Yes, this is probably also true

Pen Pro - Senior Member

So its been confirmed this has the battery in the dock? Looks like it from the pics, only way an IB is getting 10hours.

Thread Information