Lenovo Windows 8 ThinkPad Tablet 2 - Tablet + dockable Keyboard Combo - Page 15

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 53 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    (x) / fashion

Default Re: Lenovo Windows 8 ThinkPad Tablet 2 - Tablet + dockable Keyboard Combo

Atoms should not be considered by those who are serious gamers or plan to spend lots of time gaming on the device. Atoms are for

• Office,
    • basic image editing,
    • web browsing,
    • emailing,
    • music,
    • light gaming,
    • 480p videos (720p, maybe).

People with higher expectations than this should think thrice before spending $600 on a Clover Trail Tablet PC. By getting an i5 device, one would have his computing needs covered for (at least) the next 4 years. This is a no brainer. The new Atoms are fast enough for many, many people, but not for all.
    Hi! I'm a Tablet PC....and I'm not a goddamn toy.
    HP TM2 (i5-430UM, ATI HD-5450) | HP TC1100 (Celeron 800MHz).

WPrime/WEI Benchmark thread for Tablet PCs:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hard...ablet-pcs.html

Scribbler - Standard Member

Default Re: Lenovo Windows 8 ThinkPad Tablet 2 - Tablet + dockable Keyboard Combo

If I read nniitt's post correctly, it seems like the concern is Atom not being able to handle tasks that the tablet is meant for, such as Word or OneNote, because it is unable to handle simple things like 3D pinball. This is a valid concern, IMO, and I think many of us are worried about, for instance, inking lag. Based on positive experiences with the ATIV 500T that I've been seeing, it seems like Atoms are able to do reasonably well, with unreal battery life at that.

If all one cares about is 1080p content, gaming, photoshop, etc. then the obvious answer is to just get an Ivy Bridge powered tablet or tablet pc.
    Lenovo Thinkpad X220T | 12.5" 1366x768 Multitouch | Core i5-2520M 2.5Ghz | 8GB RAM | X220 Ultrabase | LG L227WTG 22" | Windows 8 Pro 64-bit | Intel 160GB G2 SSD | GTX 460 x1.1Opt

Quote Originally Posted by e-schreiber View Post
    Atoms should not be considered by those who are serious gamers or plan to spend lots of time gaming on the device. Atoms are for

• Office,
    • basic image editing,
    • web browsing,
    • emailing,
    • music,
    • light gaming,
    • 480p videos (720p, maybe).

People with higher expectations than this should think thrice before spending $600 on a Clover Trail Tablet PC. By getting an i5 device, one would have his computing needs covered for (at least) the next 4 years. This is a no brainer. The new Atoms are fast enough for many, many people, but not for all.
    Agreed. Drawing and writing with a stylus is also on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by manuelcalavera View Post
    Yup, my bad . That is what you get when talk to a foreigner. Lol

I have not seen any case in the accessories other than that thick sleeve. Is there any for TPT2?
    If you search for Thinkpad Tablet 2 in Accessories on Lenovo's site, there is a "slim case" available, which doubles as a smart cover. I placed an order for one as well as the keyboard.

edit: Their site seems to be wonky right now so here's the info:

Quote Originally Posted by Lenovo

Slim and sleek, the ThinkPad Tablet 2 Slim Case makes it even easier to use your tablet. View movies and videos with the media position or increase productivity by switching to the typing position. No matter how you use your slim case, you can rest assured that you will be working in style.- Ultraslim and light case protects front and back of the Tablet. - Watch a movie, read the news, or type in keyboard mode. - Screen turns on/off when user opens/closes the cover. - Available in Red and Black. - One year warranty.
    Last edited by Kazy; 11-07-2012 at 09:48 PM.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by fatpolomanjr View Post

If all one cares about is 1080p content, gaming, photoshop, etc. then the obvious answer is to just get an Ivy Bridge powered tablet or tablet pc.
    Intel Core tablets are thick, heavy, noisy, warm and most important they do not have long battery life. 5 Hours max. Thats why Atoms are considerable.
    I cannot tolerate the fear of running out of battery when Im out or having a thick and heavy tablet.
    Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 - 367927U

Quote Originally Posted by manuelcalavera View Post
    Intel Core tablets are thick, heavy, noisy, warm and most important they do not have long battery life. 5 Hours max. Thats why Atoms are considerable.
    I cannot tolerate the fear of running out of battery when Im out or having a thick and heavy tablet.
    I still can't imagine somebody wanting to game or do any serious photo or video editing on an Atom powered tablet. You have to be realistic for such intensive tasks, and the 2GB of RAM + Atom just won't cut it. For MANY other tasks, however, I think (and hope) the Clover Trail is sufficient, especially for what I want to use it for: creating handwritten math lectures, annotating research article pdfs, and scribbling ideas and work onto digital paper.
    Lenovo Thinkpad X220T | 12.5" 1366x768 Multitouch | Core i5-2520M 2.5Ghz | 8GB RAM | X220 Ultrabase | LG L227WTG 22" | Windows 8 Pro 64-bit | Intel 160GB G2 SSD | GTX 460 x1.1Opt

(x) / fashion

For MANY other tasks, however, I think (and hope) the Clover Trail is sufficient, especially for what I want to use it for: creating handwritten math lectures, annotating research article pdfs, and scribbling ideas and work onto digital paper.
    According to the many reviews on the Ativ 500T thread, Clover Trail is more than enough for all that. I might get a 500T by the Summer. I use my TM2 on Power Saver mode and Intel GPU most of the time. I'm sure the Atom would be enough for me. I could always grab the TM2 for any eventual heavy task.
    Hi! I'm a Tablet PC....and I'm not a goddamn toy.
    HP TM2 (i5-430UM, ATI HD-5450) | HP TC1100 (Celeron 800MHz).

WPrime/WEI Benchmark thread for Tablet PCs:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hard...ablet-pcs.html

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kazy View Post
    If you search for Thinkpad Tablet 2 in Accessories on Lenovo's site, there is a "slim case" available, which doubles as a smart cover. I placed an order for one as well as the keyboard.

edit: Their site seems to be wonky right now so here's the info:
    Thanks man, that really helped. so, with that case, do you think its logical to pay 120 $ for a very very thick BT keyboard which is not even battery-packed ?
    Another matter, I think they are not ready to ship. Not just the TPT2, even the accessories. Theres a tiny picture of that case in the site with just one angle. even if you watch the video they just show you that small photo of the case and put some description next to it.

I still can't imagine somebody wanting to game or do any serious photo or video editing on an Atom powered tablet. You have to be realistic for such intensive tasks, and the 2GB of RAM + Atom just won't cut it. For MANY other tasks, however, I think (and hope) the Clover Trail is sufficient, especially for what I want to use it for: creating handwritten math lectures, annotating research article pdfs, and scribbling ideas and work onto digital paper.
    Quote Originally Posted by e-schreiber View Post
    According to the many reviews on the Ativ 500T thread, Clover Trail is more than enough for all that. I might get a 500T by the Summer. I use my TM2 on Power Saver mode and Intel GPU most of the time. I'm sure the Atom would be enough for me. I could always grab the TM2 for any eventual heavy task.
    Theres a user review in the UMPCPortal about Ativ 500T and in the page 2, he has uploaded a video of movie editing on it.

There is one thing and just one thing that considers me. Writing and PDF/PowerPoint annotation.
    Watch this video, which has been uploaded by a user in this forum.
    Windows 8 Metro PDF Reader app review on Samsung Ativ 500T tablet - YouTube
    It's kinda tragic. but everyone says writing in Ativ Smart PC 500T is a joy. I dont know which one to believe.

P.S. in ITPro's early review of this device they mention this about the display :
    We found it to be bright, although we found colours looked a tad washed out.
    Has anybody read any other comments about the display ?

Moving 'up' from iPAQ

@manuelcalavera,

Inking in the start menu 'tiles' is going to be tragic and variable app to app for a long time to come. Microsoft intneded the inking to be developed by each Metro 'app' writer so it is going to be like inking in Android. When you see videos showing good or bad inking performance try to keep this in mind and sort out the apps from the desktop applications.

When people state that inking is OneNote is good they are likely refering to the classic desktop OneNote and not OneNote MX.

As far as video and photo editing on a dual core Atom goes, I photo edit with my Q550 all the time with PaintShopPro. Video editing with VideoStudio barely runs and is so horribly slow that it is not worth the effort. My Q550 is a single core Atom running at 1.5 Ghz. I would expect the TPT2 to run much more acceptably with a dual core Atom 1.8Ghz. It will not be equivalent to a desktop but these portable editing tools are not intended to be.
    Last edited by dceggert; 11-08-2012 at 07:48 AM.
    regards,

Dan
    Doing the device shuffle again:
    * New * HP Elitepad 1000
    Dell Venue 8 Pro - my ultra mobile device (I cannot believe where I can stick this thing)
    HP Elitepad with Win 8.1 (used) - my main useful device until the EP 1000 arrived
    Fujitsu Q702 i5 with Win 8.1 - mostly used as a desktop/laptop now

500 t looks nice but is probably too big and heavy for me.

As for video editting, it is probably too gpu-intensive for atom processors to handle.

Thread Information