Cracked my x220 tablet display

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Unhappy Cracked my x220 tablet display

Unfortunately I cracked my display. When I was closing the lid one of my ear phones was sitting on the keyboard on the side. It easily cracked/shattered the bottom right of the display. Thankfully the laptop is still operating, monitor is working. The touchscreen on the other hand is not. The touchscreen on the right half of the monitor is gone. Touchscreen on left is ok. But the pen is working all over which is great. Here's a picture:

From the side:

From the front:

As you can see it's not so bad - I can 'live' with it. But just out of curiosity - is there anything I can do about it? get a replacement? warranty would probably not cover it, right? any chance of a free replacement? (I once sent a camera to this online place for a broken screen and they fixed it for free using my camera's warranty - not sure how that worked - but is there something I can do here like that?)

Thanks
    Last edited by bonoz; 03-14-2012 at 03:57 AM.

ZaZ
    Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: Cracked my x220 tablet display

Unless you got the accidental coverage, I'd say it's unlikely they'll fix it for free. Unfortunately, a repair by Lenovo, which is the only way to keep your warranty in tact, probably will cost as much as a new machine. That's too bad. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks!

Any chance I could purchase just the screen from somewhere and replace it myself? I am mechanically inclined.

Moving 'up' from iPAQ

There are usually some new and used screens on eBay and sometimes whole machines for parts with something else scavenged. You may be able to find a replacement for $200 or less.

Since it works for you in the meantime, take your time.

Maybe someone else can chime in if they know but there are also some part outlets that have parts for Thinkpads on the net. I remember obtaining a snap on door for one of my laptops once.
    regards,

Dan
    Doing the device shuffle again:
    *New* ThinkPad i7 Helix pressed into daily service as of 4-Aug-2014 - phenomenal cosmic power?
    HP Elitepad 1000 - my former main device - do I keep this or my V8P as my sidekick now
    Dell Venue 8 Pro - my ultra mobile device (I cannot believe where I can stick this thing)

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Ouch! Oh man...let us know your progress.
    DT: Athlon II X4, Asus M4A785TD-M EVO, HD 6970
    SP3
    Lumia 1020

Scribbler - Standard Member

I just asked a UK seller of a $115 "X220T LED screen" on ebay the following question:

"This screen is for X220T, but does that mean it has an Active Digitizer and accepts Pen and/or Multitouch inputs? I believe X220T is the tablet version of the X220, but I can't tell if this screen has the tablet capabilities of the original X220T screen."

Usually sellers for such screens sell the entire LCD assembly for $400+, so it seems the price is too good to be true.
    Lenovo Thinkpad X220T | 12.5" 1366x768 Multitouch | Core i5-2520M 2.5Ghz | 8GB RAM | X220 Ultrabase | LG L227WTG 22" | Windows 8 Pro 64-bit | Intel 160GB G2 SSD | GTX 460 x1.1Opt

Pen Pro - Senior Member

You're lucky in that your display is fine and just the front glass with the touch stuff is really damaged.

I haven't seen the x220t's display out of its shell yet, but my guess would be the following:
    The digitizer is still an add on board behind the screen that is detachable via screws and/or tape, some glue. The actual panel will have the glass mounted via some translucent glue to it. I know several people failed to separate the glass from the actual panel for the x61t SXGA+ display.
    The touch screen should be a thing layer on the panel facing side of the glass.

So if the seller offers just the panel with the glued on touch screen, you should be able to just switch over the digitizer on the backside. It's more work, but not paying for a second digitizer could be the reason for the lower price and is also a benefit
    HP TC4400 - T7600, Wifi Link 5100 (modded BIOS), Momentun XT 500GB, crazy undervolting - retired
    3.4 pound slate based on a TC4400

Asus vivotab note 8 64GB

If you do get a complete screen assembly, do recall that Lenovo's maintenance manuals are available to all and the instructions for replacing the complete assembly will be very detailed. They will also get you partway through the job if you end up mounting a new screen in your old lid. I am a bit sensitive on this score as Fujitsu manuals are only available to their "authorized" service stations although Lenovo and HP actually encourage customers to swap FRU's themselves. My daughter now has a Fujitsu T5010 mounted on her wheelchair as her voice-output communications computer, and I'd much rather handle maintenance myself than leave her "gagged" for as long as it takes to get "authorized" service.

They replied: no touch screen. But it's a start I suppose.
    Lenovo Thinkpad X220T | 12.5" 1366x768 Multitouch | Core i5-2520M 2.5Ghz | 8GB RAM | X220 Ultrabase | LG L227WTG 22" | Windows 8 Pro 64-bit | Intel 160GB G2 SSD | GTX 460 x1.1Opt

ZaZ
    Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by LROBBINS View Post
    Lenovo and HP actually encourage customers to swap FRU's themselves.
    I don't think that exactly true, at least not in the case of Lenovo. I can't say for HP. FRUs are not considered user replaceable by Lenovo. Doing so will likely leave your warranty suspect. Now you could send it in and they might never know, but if they want to make an issue of it, they can.

Thread Information