Chance to Get a Good Deal on an X201T or Should I Save Some More for an X220T? Urgent Advice Please! - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Scribbler - Standard Member

Default Re: Chance to Get a Good Deal on an X201T or Should I Save Some More for an X220T? Urgent Advice Please!

I think the X200t is the better idea if you want something for more than one or two years. The graphics are more capable and the machines probably run cooler. Others can vouch for that. On top of that, the C2D inside the X200t is slightly faster than the X61t.

Before my X220t I owned a Core Duo X60t with Intel SSD. It ran pretty warm with Windows 7 and OneNote due to the processor and general heat issues with the X6x series. That is one thing you should research and form your opinion of.

EDIT: I also had a HORRIBLE problem with Windows Aero constantly crashing and blacking out my screen for a moment. Maybe once every 2 hours. It sucked. My guess was that this was either driver or hardware related, in particular the graphics card.

The main issue I had with it was the core duo (as opposed to core 2 duo) processor. Aside from some OS lag when outputting to an external moniter, it would run at 50% usage while inking in OneNote, and with Firefox running in the background it would often hit 65-80%. Compare that to the 10-15% CPU usage while inking on my X220t. This might have been part of the heating issue, including possibly some heat from Wifi card. However, X61t has C2D, so the processor may not be as much of a problem for you.

The keyboard is more comfortable on X200t because the keyboard has no shrunken keys, whereas the small backspace key on the X60/61t gave me a headache. The last issue is 4:3 vs 16:10 as well as XGA vs SXGA vs WXGA. It really depends on you in the end, but I still recommend X200t if you have the funds.
    Last edited by fatpolomanjr; 02-17-2012 at 08:00 PM.
    Lenovo Thinkpad X220T | 12.5" 1366x768 Multitouch | Core i5-2520M 2.5Ghz | 8GB RAM | X220 Ultrabase | LG L227WTG 22" | Windows 8 Pro 64-bit | Intel 160GB G2 SSD | GTX 460 x1.1Opt

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: Chance to Get a Good Deal on an X201T or Should I Save Some More for an X220T? Urgent Advice Please!

Thanks for the responses - seems like I should go for an X200 over an X61 by the sound of it. I notice that you have an x220 fatpol - how do you find it - are you happy with it's performance - in particular what about the different aspect ratio and the lack of catch on the screen?(two issues I've read about) . I ask because there is a thought that I scrape some money together and just go straight to an X220

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Well, you could go either way. For annotating stuff and normal Office 2010 work it would easily suffice with more RAM and a better HDD. Outlook especially is practically only really limited ever by either disk speed or RAM size.

Annotating PDFs is anything but demanding. Even with PDF Revu and the generation before the x61 that's not demanding.

Paperport I've never seen myself, but it also doesn't look like it would need much CPU power. Except for indexing, but that should be a background task.

So I'd say both should easily do what you want with some upgrades. You should rather think more about the question whether to get a 4:3 XGA or a 16:10 WXGA if you're between x61 and x200.

If you want to keep to Windows x64 and would not consider using x32 instead I'd go for the 200, though. Iirc it supports DDR3, which makes 8G instead of 4 affordable. I doubt you need 8GB, though.
    HP TC4400 - T7600, Wifi Link 5100 (modded BIOS), Momentun XT 500GB, crazy undervolting - retired
    3.4 pound slate based on a TC4400

Asus vivotab note 8 64GB

I've often thought about the x61t- it's got a nice 4:3 screen, it's core2duo, I think it can take 8 gb ram, it has a nice 4-direction hardware button to make key shortcuts. It has a lot going for it. BUT it's known to run hot and get only OK battery life (4 hours max or so I think?). However, I've also read of people undervolting it, getting a SSD, and running Thinkpad FanControl (TPFC- a program that lets you set how the fans run) on it, and getting the temps down to very reasonable high 40's-low 50's C. The x61t sxga+ screen is supossed to have issues with a black "goop" sometimes coming out around the edges too. ?? Look it up on google and you'll see about it.

The x200t is 16:10, so either you like that or you don't. I honestly prefer 4:3, but I find 16:10 usable. I'm sure the 16:9 on the x220t is usable too, and you can get used to it, but why go there if you don't need to? IMO. The x200t does has a significantly brighter screen than the x61t though. You can find the 300 nit Superbright model on ebay (versus the x61t's 180 nits). There's also the full-sized keyboard, which comes from the slightly larger screen width. It also gets way better battery life, as I easily get 6 hours without really trying on my bigger battery. I use TPFC on it as well, and it stays very cool and quiet- in low-mid 40's C, so it easily runs cooler than the x61t.

So, the basic comparison between the x61t and the x200t, and the other 2 models, goes like this (the comparisons are progressive)-

x61t- 4:3 screen, SXGA+ resolution, 4-way directional button for shortcuts, runs hotter, shorter battery life, black goop?
    vs.
    x200t- 16:10 screen, brighter nits, bigger keyboard, runs cooler than the x61t, better battery life, slightly faster processor
    vs.
    x201t- 16:10 screen, same nits, same keyboard, slightly faster processor than the x200t, runs hotter though, less battery life
    vs.
    x220t- 16:9 screen, same nits, same keyboard?, faster processor than the x201t, same battery life (with the option for more if you use the slice to add on), runs cooler than the x201t, has the battery "hump" that tilts the keyboard.

I wish I could mix and match things, but I can't. As such, the x200t has been the best compromise. The x201t runs hotter than the x200t, and unless you want the Superbright Outdoor 400nit screen (which is basically only findable on the x201t anymore) which really is viewable outdoors, I don't see much reason to get it over the x200t. The x220t has a faster processor, but I don't normally see much of a reason for it either, for most users. The screen ratio is narrower, and that sort of nips it in the bud for me as well. The x61t runs a bit hot and has a dim screen-- as I work outdoors, that's not an option for me. Thus, I've stayed with the x200t. I had the good fortune though of finding an x200t 400 nit Superbright Outdoor last year on eBay, while they were still findable (I basically never see them there anymore-- perhaps the run of them was smaller?). If I hadn't been able to find one though, I probably would have ended up with the x201t, as I need an outdoor viewable screen. If you don't need an outdoor screen though, I don't see much need for it over the x200t's you'll find on eBay.

IMO, I think a person working inside doing art where light wasn't an issue could probably do very well by themselves with an x61t if they were ready to learn to do things like undervolt it and run TPFC. If you don't want to do those things as much, and want more mobility (better battery life, brighter screen), then the x200t seems to win out still.

So, what's all that mean?
    x200t- best all around bet IMO, cool, good ratio, bright screen, good keyboard, good battery life
    x61t- good all around for indoor work, if you are ok with setting it all up, cheaper, hotter, less battery life
    x201t- current best option for outdoor work, still has a good ratio, hotter, less battery life
    x220t- currently most powerful, narrower screen ratio, cool, good battery life

The x220t is clearly the most powerful computer in the list, but I don't generally see a need for that power. And the screen ratio, battery hump, and lack of a true outdoor viewable option make it less desirable to me.
    Last edited by Steve B; 02-18-2012 at 11:53 AM.
    Currently own:
    x230t Outdoor-- Win 7 x64, 256 GB SSD , 16 gb ram, 6-cell
    Thinkpad Tablet 2- Win 8.1, 64 GB SSD, 2 GB RAM

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902, q552

Outdoor Viewable Screens- Comparison Thread with Pics

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    Is this the academic discount? Not sure how to access this?
    Thanks for all the replies folks - I'm still undecided as it's such a huge anount of money (to me anyway!) to be laying out.
    I am starting to consider buying a Lenovo X121e and then using an external Wacom bamboo tablet to annotate PDFs, mark student's work etc. Do people think this would work ok and has anyone tried such a set up? Money is tight so this might be my preferred option.
    Any advice would be most welcome.
    cheers
    The x220t can be had for 1200 ish on lenovo. Just google 'lenovo friends epp,' or 'lenovo higher education' or whatever. It's really easy to get this unofficial discounts.

Honestly, in landscape, the x220t is a great notetaking machine. I know many people may eschew the pros of 16:10 or 4:3, but I haven't had any problems with 16:9.
    x220t: i7, intel SSD.

Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    Thanks for the responses - seems like I should go for an X200 over an X61 by the sound of it. I notice that you have an x220 fatpol - how do you find it - are you happy with it's performance - in particular what about the different aspect ratio and the lack of catch on the screen?(two issues I've read about) . I ask because there is a thought that I scrape some money together and just go straight to an X220
    SteveB pretty much nailed it for comparing the different thinkpad tablet pcs. Note that there is also a bit of backlight bleed on very many X220 IPS and X220t tablet screens, but is only noticeable on dark backgrounds, like bootup.

About the aspect ratio, it is much worse "on paper" (theoretically) than in person. In short, landscape mode is the best orientation to ink on; though the 16:9 screen is narrower, the 12.5" increase in diagonal compensates for it a bit (if you cut out a 12.1" diagonal, 16:10 piece of paper and a 12.5" diagonal, 16:9 piece of paper, you will see the difference is not much at all); and, I have my taskbar on the right, increasing my vertical space somewhat. Pic: http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3617/x220tscreen.png

I bought mine during black friday for ~US$900 (base price with discounts), but with an added ultrabase and 3 year onsite warranty, including tax and cheap upgrades like webcam, fingerprint reader and Intel 6205 wireless it came out to $1300 total.

Latch: though I'd rather have a latch, I've had no problems with the latchless design at all because of how tough the hinge is.

Performance: great performance and always stays cool when simultaneously outputting to an external monitor, reading several pdfs and djvus, firefox open, and inking math on onenote (though an X200t would handle these tasks just as perfectly and cool, an X201t would probably be a bit hotter).

Overall I'm very satisfied, and I have no regrets whatsoever. Especially considering the great price I got it for.
    Last edited by fatpolomanjr; 02-18-2012 at 03:23 PM.
    Lenovo Thinkpad X220T | 12.5" 1366x768 Multitouch | Core i5-2520M 2.5Ghz | 8GB RAM | X220 Ultrabase | LG L227WTG 22" | Windows 8 Pro 64-bit | Intel 160GB G2 SSD | GTX 460 x1.1Opt

Quote Originally Posted by cegras View Post
    ....I know many people may eschew the pros of 16:10 or 4:3, but I haven't had any problems with 16:9.
    To add to this, I found that even on my 4:3 SXGA X60t, notetaking in portrait mode was worse than landscape mode. The problem was that, while the dimensions were more paper-like, I still ended up getting notes that were too "skinny" to be efficient. For example, consider the following:

4:3 X60t, page fitted perfectly, portrait mode: http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/5493/43portrait.png Notice how much space is not utilized on the sheet.

(this is probably not the best example of notetaking on a 4:3 screen in portrait mode, because it was my first day ever doing so, and I was in a rush this day. I will try to get a better example tonight using the same X60t)

16:9 X220t, landscape mode: http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/231/169landscape.png Every bit of the sheet is used up more or less. This is how my paper notes look like.

(this example is after 1.5 months of notetaking with my x220t, so by then I was totally used to setting everything up)

I think the problem is that while the 4:3 screen has better dimensions, the limited pixel density and largeness of the inking tablet pen make it hard to perfectly emulate paper. When you accept that you will need to zoom in and scroll around while notetaking you will see that landscape is more optimal to ink with. Portrait, IMO, is best for reading; e.g. if you had to give a presentation and wanted to use your tablet to read notes from.
    Last edited by fatpolomanjr; 02-18-2012 at 03:26 PM.

For me, it's more about the extra height I get in landscape that makes 16:10 and 4:3 most appealing. The extra width doesn't really help me when drawing, but the loss in height hinders. I also have to say 4:3 and 16:10 are nice in portrait if you're drawing or reading/ browsing. Cant say for either re: notes, as that's not what I use my tablet for, but it may be it's own alternate argument.
    Currently own:
    x230t Outdoor-- Win 7 x64, 256 GB SSD , 16 gb ram, 6-cell
    Thinkpad Tablet 2- Win 8.1, 64 GB SSD, 2 GB RAM

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902, q552

Outdoor Viewable Screens- Comparison Thread with Pics

Pen Pro - Senior Member

You've all been very helpful and have made me realise that I should go for the x200T. Unfortunately I live in rip off Britain and even a second hand one of those is expensive here - about $600. If I can find one at a reasonable price I'll buy and max out the RAM and install an SSD. I also intend to buy an extra battery - presumably I can buy other than from Lenovo for this - can anyone recommend a good source of third party batteries?
    Cheers

Pen Pro - Senior Member

1 day 9 hours left on this bid Lenovo X200T Tablet laptop 12.1 inch Tablet notebook Grade B+ (C2D SL9600 (5704327818717) | eBay if you have the money in your paypal account I'd try getting that one (it may wind up at $400-500 or so; don't bid until the very end though)

For batteries, I've had great success with batteries from ebay sellers with the item in my country, lots of feedback, and that have a return policy. it seems 35-40 euros for the 8 cell X200 tablet 8cell | eBay
    Current: HP 2730p Win 7 & Linux Mint | Toshiba M4 | Motion M1400 renice 120GB SSD | ITRONIX IX-325 | Motion F5 (U7500 update) | Fujitsu P1620 | T4220 w/SXGA+ 160GB Intel X18-M & 1TB HDD in bay | broken TC4400 [for experimentation] | i5 3570K mITX desktop w/GTX460 | ASUS N10j
    Gone but not Forgotten: HP Tm2 | HP Slate 500 | HP touchpad 32GB | 6-core desktop

Thread Information