X220T Pen Input Screen Edge Sensitivity? - Page 14

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: X220T Pen Input Screen Edge Sensitivity?

just upload the images at some image-hoster, for example
    ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

thx

Pen Pal - Newbie

Unhappy Re: X220T Pen Input Screen Edge Sensitivity?

Very interesting thread. I'm having a hard time with the full screen mode in any app to draw my lines to contribute to this thread but I'll get it sooner or later.

Unscientific but something I've noticed tonight. Right after doing the 4 point calibration, the screen stays in the full white background screen for about 5 ~ 10 seconds; this is the screen with the white background & the buttons "try again", "cancel" "ok" showing up after you hit the 4 targets.

During that 5 ~ 10 seconds I place the stylus tip in the right-bottom corner (landscape orientation where the speakers are at the bottom) and the cursor projected is right-on underneath the perpendicular stylus/tip.

The interesting part for me was what happened next. I keep pressing the stylus and after the aforementioned 5 ~ 10 seconds, it exits the full white background screen and the "Pen Tablet Properties" window returns. I'm still holding my stylus tip on the same corner but as soon as it exited the full white background screen the cursor jumped about 3/16th of an inch toward left-top. I've tried it multiple times and the same result of cursor jumping. It almost seems like something not right going from full white background screen of the 4 point calibration to windows desktop ...

Pen Pal - Newbie

So does this problem happen with the outdoor screen option?

Reason being, Lenovo Canada is showing something a bit odd to me. At least on Lenovo Canada, starting today they are offering the outdoor screen option. What's slightly odd to me is the expected shipping dates. The two older models that they were selling before have a 17 business day waiting period and the newer option is 10 days. Could it be they're getting a hardware fix done or a new set of displays that actually address this problem?

Yeah, it's probably reading into things way too much, but 17 days is a long wait:

Lenovo - Laptop computers - ThinkPad X Series Tablet - X220

So again though. Does the outdoor screen option have this same problem?
    Last edited by skulpt; 08-01-2011 at 09:22 PM.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I would hazard a guess and say there is no chance of the outdoor screen (or any variant of the X220t) behaving inherently different than the Multi-touch screen as they are the exact same, except one has a plain glass front and ones has a glass + touch layer (it seems to be a issue with software, as it has been with the X200t and X201t -which haven't been 'fixed' yet- so if you are looking at the X220t and this issue is pretty big to you -as it should be- then take a look at the HP and Fujitsu Tablet PC's as they don't have the driver issues Lenovo's have and have extra benefits)
    Current: HP 2730p Win 7 & Linux Mint | Toshiba M4 | Motion M1400 renice 120GB SSD | ITRONIX IX-325 | Motion F5 (U7500 update) | Fujitsu P1620 | T4220 w/SXGA+ 160GB Intel X18-M & 1TB HDD in bay | broken TC4400 [for experimentation] | i5 3570K mITX desktop w/GTX460 | ASUS N10j
    Gone but not Forgotten: HP Tm2 | HP Slate 500 | HP touchpad 32GB | 6-core desktop

Pen Pal - Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 9 View Post
    I would hazard a guess and say there is no chance of the outdoor screen (or any variant of the X220t) behaving inherently different than the Multi-touch screen as they are the exact same, except one has a plain glass front and ones has a glass + touch layer (it seems to be a issue with software, as it has been with the X200t and X201t -which haven't been 'fixed' yet- so if you are looking at the X220t and this issue is pretty big to you -as it should be- then take a look at the HP and Fujitsu Tablet PC's as they don't have the driver issues Lenovo's have and have extra benefits)
    Yeah, I'm thinking you're right. I just realllly want to like the X220t. The price is right for the specs, but that blasted screen issue... Man, I hope they can fix it. I could get the specs I want with the outdoor screen for about $1200. The Fujitsus and the HPs with those kinds of screens and specs are out of my range. If it weren't for those issues of the 220, that IMO would be the best new bang for your buck you could get. Looks like I might get a 2760p for $1400 without the outdoor screen when they are in stock. Although I would jump at a 2740p at the right price in Canada. If I were in the US, I would have one by now.

Lenovo is killing their reputation with this issue. They could do so well in this tablet market. They need to fix this ASAP.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by skulpt View Post
    Yeah, I'm thinking you're right. I just realllly want to like the X220t. The price is right for the specs, but that blasted screen issue... Man, I hope they can fix it. I could get the specs I want with the outdoor screen for about $1200. The Fujitsus and the HPs with those kinds of screens and specs are out of my range. If it weren't for those issues of the 220, that IMO would be the best new bang for your buck you could get. Looks like I might get a 2760p for $1400 without the outdoor screen when they are in stock. Although I would jump at a 2740p at the right price in Canada. If I were in the US, I would have one by now.

Lenovo is killing their reputation with this issue. They could do so well in this tablet market. They need to fix this ASAP.
    I have an x201 with outdoor display and the issue is still there.

But otherwise so is my computer amazing! The keyboard, the mouse, the interface, and the quality feel is something no other computer I have tried comes near. The HP 2730p and Fujitsu I tried didnīt appeal to me as the lenovo x201. And the outdoor screen on my x201 has some light waving issues, but when you are outdoor so will it perform better than any computers or cellphones (this really surprised me) I have used! Since I use the tablet function for notetaking only so will the rest of the benefits from the computer outweight the issue.

You will still get an amazing computer otherwise the issue. However, if the stylus accuracy is very important so do I strongly suggest to consider HP or especially Fujitsu (which we have confirmed has a superior stylus accuracy).
    ThinkPad x230 tablet: Multi touch, Intel Centrino 6205, Samsung 840 256gb SSD
    ThinkPad x201 tablet: Outdoor screen, Gobi 2000 (3G, GPS), Intel Centrino 6300, Samsung 128gb SSD

The performance of an Outdoor Display
    TN and PVA panel comparison (HP tx2500 vs Lenovo x201t)

How to calibrate the x201t and x200t.

Pen Pal - Newbie

hi there , i have been waiting to buy a x220 since the day it came out
    i've been wanting a tablet for years now, and finally im going to buy one
    i loved the x220 since its a business class that means it will stay with me for at least 5 years and its not based on a gimik like all the new touch tablets
    personally i dont prefare hp since i have 3 hp pavelion not working computer

i want to know , is it worth it to buy the x220 or should i go for hp 2760p

personally i dont care that mouch about proce i want something to stay with me for 5 years at least (and i dont like the t901 so its either lenovo or hp)

thanks in advance for the reply

Pen Pal - Newbie

get the 2760p unless you want a machine that is broken by design

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Is is visiable?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

http://img807.imageshack.us/img807/7991/sceen2.png

x220t outdoor, no touch.

Windows 7, lines are made with 45 degree and using graph paper. Pen was in vertical position. Screen was not rotated.
    ==============================

Should I put full screen in forum?
    Last edited by seaturn; 08-04-2011 at 05:57 AM.

Pen Pal - Newbie

So, been playing with my new x220 for the past week, back now to provide some feedback on the pen issue like I said I would.

Actually not going to bother posting a picture of the diagonal lines since the screen can be coaxed into drawing perfectly straight straight lines all the way to the bezel on at least 3 out of 4 thresholds, depending on calibration and orientation. At worst, (on my system at least), the discrepancy is minimal and only occurs on one part of the screen.

Anyway, this is not to say the issue doesn't exist, but my observation has been that the method of drawing lines to illustrate the lack of accuracy is an inadequate one, since what happens is the pen cursor's accuracy floats in and out of trueness depending on the distance one hovers the pen above the screen. This is actually what will irritate most users trying to hit buttons around the edge of the screen more than anything; if you're watching the cursor it will drift away as the pen touches home on the glass and click a few millimetres off your aim.

Tried drivers from Wacom and Lenovo. No real change, though the wacom drivers did mess up the pen right click functionality and I didn't particularly feel like correcting it.

To those of you considering the x220 and wondering whether it's a deal breaker, it really isn't, the virtues of this particular machine can be seen in any full hardware review of it. Consider two things: edge accuracy is a problem on a wide variety of wacom products, not just the x220, and including some cintiqs. Furthermore drawing line diagrams is a poor way of telling how accurate a pen is on a particular tablet. Not only should you not be freaked out about wavey lines from an x220, but the fact that a t901 or 2370p can draw straight lines doesn't mean it doesn't have the same problem.

The other thing to consider is, like other people on this forum have occasionally said, that for every disgruntled user sounding off critically on a forum, there are many more silently enjoying their product. Every user has has different expectations of a product and each will provide a bunch of largely irrelevant normative discussion; the things that are trivial details and minutiae bordering obsessive compulsiveness to one person may be of first order importance to another.
    Last edited by Cads; 08-05-2011 at 01:50 PM.

Thread Information