x220t owners - Page 23

+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: x220t owners

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: x220t owners

Well, get some thumbdrive and download the newest drivers on there, unpacked, just in case.
    Boot from the Win7 DVD and go through setup, then install drivers. If a certain driver should be needed during setup (shouldn't be the case) load it from the thumbdrive.

Installing Win7 is not science. If you are solely dependent on the unit and don't have another PC to maybe google or anything, make a backup of your current system beforehand to an external drive.
    HP TC4400 - T7600, Wifi Link 5100 (modded BIOS), Momentun XT 500GB, crazy undervolting - retired
    3.4 pound slate based on a TC4400

Asus vivotab note 8 64GB

Pen Pal - Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Hattori Hanzo View Post
    Consider the Lenovo utility unreliable. For Windows itself it is rare that an update really breaks something.

For some components you are kind of stuck with the Lenovo drivers, like the touchpad, as Synaptics doesn't release proper drivers to the public, or the Wifi module, as Lenovo gets them from Intel with slightly different device IDs for no good reason. For anything else I'd suggest getting the hardware manufacturers' drivers and either wait for updates via windows update or check back manually on the respective homepages, if you want to be as up to date as possible.
    Thanks for the advice. I will not bother using the Lenovo update utility. Which is unfortunate if there are any significant updates.

I notice the Intel wifi driver takes a long, long time to connect, more than 30 seconds.

This all accelerates switching back to Ubuntu, I'm just amazed things aren't better considering there are so many Windows users.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

You will get a lot of the driver updates from Windows Update if you use the manufacturers' drivers. At least for Intel this has been the case for me.

The long connect time is likely either a driver bug that occurs with your usage or a side effect of the various utilities and services interfering. In the past Intel's been rather fast fixing such stuff.

You should consider preinstalled OEM versions of Windows like different different Unix versions. You wouldn't expect seamless interoperability between those, would you?
    If you want the "it just works!" feeling you have with Ubuntu on Windows, do a clean install and keep to Windows instead of a random assortment of tools and utilities that most OEMs provide. Sometimes, like with 3G modems, this means a minute more work as you might need to google or just look up in the manual some setting, but in the end you avoid a lot of half-assed and badly integrated software "solutions".
    HP TC4400 - T7600, Wifi Link 5100 (modded BIOS), Momentun XT 500GB, crazy undervolting - retired
    3.4 pound slate based on a TC4400

Asus vivotab note 8 64GB

Scribbler - Standard Member

My X220T with outdoor display finally arrived. Excellent computer. If I really look hard I can notice the faint ghosting and very minor backlight bleed. Otherwise it is beautiful and very well built.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

sweet, could you please provide some insight on how good it is under direct sunlight or bright overcast / next to a bright window? Some images would be cool too.

Thanks

BTW: When did you order, I had ordered 10 weeks ago and 7 weeks ago Lenovo cancelled it and said it wasn't available anymore.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Hattori Hanzo, thanks for your advice.

I'd rather not reinstall until I get an SSD in the near future. Can anyone tell me what 6205 driver is best to use? Mine is identified as 14.1.1.3. Are there others suspects I should look into that might be causing the very long delay when connecting to wifi? (it connected relatively quickly until I "updated" according to Lenovo's advice).

I just uninstalled Intel's Wifi software. 145 MB!!!!!!!! Absolutely f)(#)$*#$)# silly.
    Last edited by nostriluu; 06-27-2011 at 10:45 AM.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I think every Tablet owner should vote on the digitizer accuracy here:
    Tablet/Wacom malfunction

Pen Pro - Senior Member

guys, I've read that some people install the "wacom bamboo" driver or something for the digitizer. If so, could somebody please comment on this and provide a link? I find tons of drivers yet have no clue which one is the one people are talking about when they mention this?!

cheers

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by randfee View Post
    guys, I've read that some people install the "wacom bamboo" driver or something for the digitizer. If so, could somebody please comment on this and provide a link? I find tons of drivers yet have no clue which one is the one people are talking about when they mention this?!

cheers
    Tablet PC - Enhanced Graphics Driver

Pen Pro - Senior Member

these don't recognize any device.

Thread Information