Future tablets - come on...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Scribbler - Standard Member

Default Future tablets - come on...

After following the iPad hype it is much clearer to me that the main difference between the iPad and the tablets is that the iPad is a mediacontent consumer-tool, and the tablet is the productive tool for business, students etc. To me it is really not an option not being able to easy write, take annotations, have a good keyboard, ms-office etc - even when I listen to music, read newspapers, watch movies etc on my tablet.

BUT - after looking more into the competitors I realldy do not understand why the tablet pc and software producers make an extra effort in their products. Here are som of my wishes:
    - Wide screen looks and feels silly on a tablet. Look at the iPad. This is only to reduce costs because all other notebooks now uses wide screens. (Thats why I still use my x61, allthough a new x201 arrived at my desk 6 months ago...)
    - Screen quality, why shouldn't it be possible to make as good and bright screens on a tablet as on an iPad. How can Apple make something that 100 pc producers cant!?!?
    - Software; it must be the easisest thing to make a new "touch-based" Windows Media Center to get to full touch-functionality for tablets for media cosnumation
    - Weight, height etc; have you seen the new macbook air... It must be possible to make a tablet in the same form-factor as this, the components are the same!! I heard a story from a friend comming proud home as an BCG employee with the newest Lenovo subnote, meeting his girlsfriend just received the new macbook air... Emberrasing!
    - Screen size; smaller screens than 12" is not suitable for actually doing work. With the new possiblities with ssd, fans etc. the screens for professional tablets should be 13" (like the macbook air), and still the machines should be thin and low-wight.

Tablet pc, and especially Lenovo, is the ultimate tool for informations workers, and going back to normal notebooks or macbooks is really impossible for me. But the producers have to do something with the formfactor soon - and if I se the macbook air as an convertible tablet before that I will convert...

Henrik

Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Re: Future tablets - come on...

Respectfully... you're so hopelessly wrong... The iPad is student and business user friendly, is the iPad/tablet for everyone, NO. Tablets Do Not replace computers, their just an addition or an extension of them, so the lack of something and wanting more will always exist... for now.

The Android is a great system, i know i have a Android phone and having owned a Galaxy tablet for one day but returning it for a iPad. For now the Galaxy tablet Apps are made for cell phones and are wide open to all design without regulations, the iPad apps aren't.

Apps for the iPad are design to a certain standard/OS, and the lack of Flash makes the user experience on the iPad smooth without hesitation or sluggishness. I don't miss Flash, i think the thought of not having Flash is more prevalent than not actually having it.

The 9-10 inch screen is suitable for what the iPad is, a very mobile extension of your computer that's small and light which i found the 7 inch pretty good, but a little bigger is better.

The tablets/iPad are great for surfing the internet, correspondence/letters/notes, emails, games/movies. Could someone get away with just an Ipad/tablet... yes, does everyone need them...No. But right now the iPad is exploding into businesses/schools/medical field, we are seeing the tip of the iceberg when it comes to tablet and the consumer/public will dictate the improvements/upgrades to their capability.

To compare any Laptop/notebook to a iPad is Apples and oranges. I take my iPad with all the time, throw in my back pack or a girl can throw in a pocketbook/handbag and you'll never know your carrying it, you can't do that with a laptop and you don't want to do it either.

I hook up through my cell phone hotspot (if Need to) and i'm doing anything i need to on the go, reading emails, free texting, free phone calls, taking notes, writing letters, or play a game. Its maneuvered effortlessly compared to a laptop which has to be opened clam shell style not to mention better battery life on a iPad.

If you need to have a mobile laptop, the Mac AirBook is great, but for me personally, its an overkill to lug around. JMO

The Laptop computer and cell phones are transforming

Old timer

@hajensen

I agree about the screen. A standard size screen is a better format for reading textbooks and taking notes, two things good students do a LOT of.

I would actually prefer a smaller screen, as long as it comes with plenty of pixels and a great digitizer. I can write a lot smaller than the resolution of my 12.1" screen allows. I need more pixels.

I'm also with you on the weight issue, although I'm not willing to sacrifice battery life to save weight. I'm sure tablet pc manufacturers could do a lot better with improved battery technology.

@aepple

Hopelessly wrong? The iPad is good when all you have to do is tap on things, and even great for businesses that create their own productivity apps or are lucky enough to have had somebody else create the perfect app for them.

Once you need to write or do a lot of typing, the iPad is a poor choice. You might be able to add a keyboard for typing, but then either you add a tiny hard-to-use keyboard, or end up carrying an iPad and keyboard that are bulkier than a laptop or convertible tablet. As far as writing goes, there's no way you can keep up with a moderately paced lecture.

There are some pdf annotation tools for the iPad now, but you're still stuck when it comes to doing freehand annotation.

While the iPad does appeal to students, let's admit that most students aren't very dedicated to their education. Those that are, buy the best tools to aid their educational goals. I can't see how a device that lacks a keyboard and a good digitizer can be called student-friendly.

I really don't like the lack of ports on the iPad. Occasionally I have large file transfers that I do not want to do over wifi, and certainly don't want to do over a cellular data plan. A thumb drive is so convenient, especially when in parts of large libraries where either type of wireless connection is feeble or nonexistent. And where is the card drive? I don't know about you, but occasionally I take pictures or video. Pictures and video are great for labs, and I have taken a few pictures of white boards before. The iPad doesn't have a camera, so the only option is to transfer the pictures/video onto it. It would much more appealing with a usb port and card reader. The lack of both would have killed me on a months long trek I took earlier this year. Fortunately I brought my U820 that has both a card reader and a usb drive, which allowed me to easily transfer the pictures, edit them and eventually send them when I got to a place with a wireless signal.

Normally I'd gripe about it not having a replaceable battery, but it does have a long battery life that should be good enough for most days.

Now with that said, the iPad could have a powerful tool on their hands if they add an active digitizer.
    Eugene Leafty
    Tablet #1: Fujitsu T4210, XGA, T2450, 4GB G.Skill 4-4-4-12 memory, Hitachi 7k200, 2 modular bay batteries, Vista Biz, Office Ultimate, PDF Annotator, PDF Revu, Autodesk SketchBook Pro, Logitech Nano, infoCase Fieldmate case, Wacom Cross-1 penabled stylus, Belkin F8E550 cable lock.
    Tablet #2: Fujitsu U820.
    Tablet #3: Dell Venue 8 Pro, 32GB, active stylus, IVSO case, Xtremeguard screen protector
    Book scanner: Plustek Opticbook 3600

Pen Pal - Newbie

I totally agree with you on most of your points. It's almost gotten to the point where I am about to go into the mobile device market myself.

I have determined that everything you are asking for, EXCEPT for the screen form-factor, is available for manufacture now, and new software needs to be written. Here is the major problem, the mobile paradigm needs to shift. People need to get it out of their heads that multiple devices are required, while at the same time believing that a device deigned to compliment another device is powerful enough to replace it. It doesn't help when you have a marketing behemoth and genius actively promoting that myth (iPad).

I specialize (as a hobbyist) in human-machine interface design and ergonomics. Essentially, I try to figure out ways to make interaction with a device as natural and seamless as possible.

What I think needs to happen is this. Take something like an Android-powered Notion Ink Adam, give a built-in keyboard, tablet style, and add a Wacom digitizer. OK, now you have the hardware on a very efficient platform, and even more space to add a larger battery (albeit a thin one). Now, you have the hardest thing to fix, business class software that takes advantage of the hardware, both in its limitations and advantages. Essentially, someone needs to port Open Office and OneNote to Android, and write an enterprise class email solution, all while including an interface designed for a touch/pen enabled device. If this is done, you will see the market EXPLODE, and the paradigm will shift almost instantly.

So, get your Indians together and start coding. My wife is Indian, so I can say that

Thoughts?

Old timer

Two things...

Software: Yes, we dearly need better software that allows the potential of these devices to be fully realized. It's frustrating enough that it makes me want to take up programming again and actually try to be really good at it.

Convergence devices: Lots of people want this, and we're getting this somewhat, but it seems that cell phones are becoming the goto convergence platform. I firmly believe that so long as cellular service providers are subsidizing and controlling these devices, we'll never see them become really good.
    Eugene Leafty
    Tablet #1: Fujitsu T4210, XGA, T2450, 4GB G.Skill 4-4-4-12 memory, Hitachi 7k200, 2 modular bay batteries, Vista Biz, Office Ultimate, PDF Annotator, PDF Revu, Autodesk SketchBook Pro, Logitech Nano, infoCase Fieldmate case, Wacom Cross-1 penabled stylus, Belkin F8E550 cable lock.
    Tablet #2: Fujitsu U820.
    Tablet #3: Dell Venue 8 Pro, 32GB, active stylus, IVSO case, Xtremeguard screen protector
    Book scanner: Plustek Opticbook 3600

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Hopelessly wrong? Not hardly. Right on the money. We have an Ipad here that we've passed around the office and no one can find a good use for it so it sits in a drawer. Media Consumption Tablets may be an extension of your computer but Tablet PC's are computers. One tool to rule them all!

The biggest reason Ipad sales are exploding is marketing. Everyone thinks they need one. So they buy one and then try to find a way to justify the purchase. If Tablet PC manufacturers had spent anywhere near the same budget on marketing, everyone would already have bought one. I can't tell you how many times a day I have to tell people, "No, it's not an Ipad. It's a 3 year old Tablet PC that can do more than an Ipad."

Yes, here it is: the new Lenovo Yoga!

Thank you Lenovo for reading my wish-list for the convertible tablet pc! This means that I will stick to my wonderful x61 another 6 months, and then buy the Yoga!

The price? Couldn't care less; my x61 (with win7, SSD and 8 gb ram) have served me for 5 years now, while my other friends have changed PC's 3 times in that period...

Henrik

Quote Originally Posted by pmatulew View Post
    Hopelessly wrong? Not hardly. Right on the money. We have an Ipad here that we've passed around the office and no one can find a good use for it so it sits in a drawer. Media Consumption Tablets may be an extension of your computer but Tablet PC's are computers. One tool to rule them all!

The biggest reason Ipad sales are exploding is marketing. Everyone thinks they need one. So they buy one and then try to find a way to justify the purchase. If Tablet PC manufacturers had spent anywhere near the same budget on marketing, everyone would already have bought one. I can't tell you how many times a day I have to tell people, "No, it's not an Ipad. It's a 3 year old Tablet PC that can do more than an Ipad."
    I'm a developer, I have both iPad and Asus EEEpad Transformer.
    iPad is collecting dust, I use the Transformer occassionally when I go to church for bible study (other time I just use bible on my phone) and sometimes download the one-per-day free app from Amazon. I've "purchased" a couple of free app but didn't even both to install.

I don't see any use for the iPad at all, it's hard to transfer in or out files. No productivity I can get from it.
    I use my Tablet PC most of the day (X220T now and HP TM2 before).
    Lenovo X220T / HP TM2 / TX2500Z / Nokia N9

Quote Originally Posted by hajensen View Post
    Screen quality, why shouldn't it be possible to make as good and bright screens on a tablet as on an iPad. How can Apple make something that 100 pc producers cant!?!?
    Most of the Tablet PC are not just finger-touch based, but also pen supported. The HP tablets and XT220T I have are all Wacom compatible. The extra layers required do degrade a little bit on the screen.

Also, the 2 HP tablets I use costs me less than US$1K new, along with real PC processor, graphics chips and other components, they certainly can't afford the best panel to keep the cost down.
    What do you get in an iPad other than the beautiful screen?

The X220T costed me slightly more and the IPS is great (except the edge light leak which is in some iPad too), the matt screen make it easier to work on it for longer time compared to the glossy on my HP. All non-business laptop are now glossy, including iPad and Android tablets, which is more appealing to many consumer and make them think the screen is better.
    Finger touch part work much better than my previous HP and very usable on Internet browser.
    Lenovo X220T / HP TM2 / TX2500Z / Nokia N9

Pen Pal - Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by mcdull View Post
    Most of the Tablet PC are not just finger-touch based, but also pen supported. The HP tablets and XT220T I have are all Wacom compatible. The extra layers required do degrade a little bit on the screen.
    Not true of Wacom at all. Not sure about N-Trig, but I assume it is the same with it. Wacom sensor sits below the LCD. So multi-touch Wacom panels should have the same degradation as any other capacitive multi-touch screen (which means, not much). The problem here, is that Wacom did not have the foresight to contract with other screen manufacturers and then heavily lobby the tablet industry to go with them. There could have just as easily have been a Penabled IPS tablet competing with the iPad years ago if they had. N-Trig pushed more, and go their somewhat cheaper version pushed into some tablets.

I played with the HTC Flyer (N-Trig), and I have to say, given the ****ty digitizer, and few Android apps that are designed specifically for it (it's still a stylus and can be used anywhere in android, however) it's still pretty awesome. If it had come out years ago, the tablet industry would be much better off. Even still, the N-Trig experience, and 7" form-factor, may cause it to not sell well. 7" FF is the domain of budget tablets like the Nook Color/Tablet and Kindle Fire, both less than $250. Flyer is almost $600. N-Trig panel I think only costs about $50 more than usual. Bad decision for HTC.

I think that in the future, as Android matures, and manufacturers get the heads out of their asses, Penabled tablets will become more common. And again I will reiterate, not having enterprise level software on Android is crippling a platform that is well able to run it. Even Windows Mobile had FULL office suites (Softmaker) and note-taking apps (Phat-notes). That was 5 years ago!!! WTF happened!? Paradigm change for the lose!

Thread Information