Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Re: X200 Tablet: Clean Install

I think jonlumpkin is referring to:
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...PDATE.html#DLP

Scribbler - Standard Member

oh cool...thx! I'll give it a try.....
    Lenovo X200 Tablet | 7449-EKU | Multiview/Multitouch | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit | 1.86GHz C2D | 4GB RAM | 2Gb Turbo Memory | 500GB 7200 rpm HDD | 12.1" WXGA | Intel 5100 a/b/g/n wireless | Verizon Broadband Card

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by SphinX View Post
    I think jonlumpkin is referring to:
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...PDATE.html#DLP
    That's the one. This is the way I tend to update ThinkVantage software and drivers on my laptop.

I'm kind of worried about the systems update thing....

I heard it can cause a lot of problems on your system, when you download updated drivers and such...

Has anybody ran into this...?
    Lenovo X200 Tablet | 7449-EKU | Multiview/Multitouch | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit | 1.86GHz C2D | 4GB RAM | 2Gb Turbo Memory | 500GB 7200 rpm HDD | 12.1" WXGA | Intel 5100 a/b/g/n wireless | Verizon Broadband Card

Quote Originally Posted by overfiend06 View Post
    I'm kind of worried about the systems update thing....

I heard it can cause a lot of problems on your system, when you download updated drivers and such...

Has anybody ran into this...?
    I have had issues where the (SU) updating older versions of drivers before. Of course I have always had some issues with the X200T the replacement unit I had sent to me had worked fine. I did a fresh install and I manually update the drivers myself now (unrelated issue to (SU)).

One thing to remember though is that the version number will sometimes stay the same. If you want to totally dork out like me you can keep a spreadsheet of the devices and their driver version numbers (both website AND device manager )

The ultimate goal is to get the laptop to total functionality w/o the (SU) being used.
    Intel Core 2 Duo SL9400 (1.86GHz, 6MB L2, 1066MHz)
    32bit Vista Business
    12.1" WideView MultiTouch
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD
    3 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1067MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)
    160GB HDD, 7200rpm
    Integrated Bluetooth PAN
    Intel WiFi Link 5300 (AGN)
    Integrated AT&T Mobile Broadband (3G)
    ThinkPad X200 Tablet 4 Cell Li-Ion Battery

I generally use System Update, but always check the version number before installing anything. For example, I have drivers for the Intel 5100 that I downloaded from Intel that are newer than what Lenovo has. Whenever I run System Update, it asks if I want to install the older drivers. You can select which drivers you'd like to update and which ones you want to pass on.

I found the System Update tool incredibly helpful when getting a fresh install off the ground.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by yeah-yeah View Post
    I have drivers for the Intel 5100 that I downloaded from Intel that are newer than what Lenovo has.
    Well, the issue there, of course, is that Lenovo is being conservative. The drivers you get from the Lenovo site have (ostensibly) been tested on the Lenovo system and proven to work without glitches. That's not true of the newest drivers from the manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by ratdoc View Post
    Well, the issue there, of course, is that Lenovo is being conservative. The drivers you get from the Lenovo site have (ostensibly) been tested on the Lenovo system and proven to work without glitches. That's not true of the newest drivers from the manufacturer.
    Oh, I'm aware of this - I was pointing out how System Update works in this situation.

Great news!! I finally got sound from the headphones now.!!

I installed the ThinkPad Systems update and just installed the audio driver and now the headphones work with no prob.

I was reluctant to do so because I'm trying to limit the amount of downloads and programs I have on my tablet. Don't want too many to clog the OS.

Not sure why the audio driver I downloaded from Lenovo's site did not work, but the update sure fixed it.

Thanks everybody for your help!

Ok. Another issue with the clean install...

(1) When going into slate mode, the screen orientation does not change. Is there a program for this? I checked my tablet pc menu settings and it only gives me the option of when I press a tablet button, will it change but no automatic thing.

(1) How do I make the auto-rotate to work? I know I prob won't use, but is this related to issue #1. Is there a program that I missed to install?

Thanks!!

Thread Information