X200t: How do i use GPS without WWAN?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Pen Pal - Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    24
    Rep Power
    6

    Default X200t: How do i use GPS without WWAN?

    Hello,
    My X200t came with a GPS receiver. When I start the ThinkVantage GPS software, it tells me that I have to activate WWAN and I have to enter the PIN. However, I have no WWAN plan and do not intend to get one. Can I use GPS without WWAN? Maybe with a different software?

    Thanks,
    Matt
    Last edited by Matt3234; 12-09-2008 at 04:54 AM.

  2. #2
    Scribbler - Standard Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    44
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: X200t: How do i use GPS without WWAN?

    you can search on lenovo forum.
    you just need to download a program from lenovo
    and turn on the GPS. WWAN is not needed.


    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3234 View Post
    Hello,
    My X200t came with a GPS receiver. When I start the ThinkVantage GPS software, it tells me that I have to activate WWAN and I have to enter the PIN. However, I have no WWAN plan and do not intend to get one. Can I use GPS without WWAN? Maybe with a different software?

    Thanks,
    Matth

  3. #3
    Pen Pal - Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    24
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: X200t: How do i use GPS without WWAN?

    Quote Originally Posted by enjoylife View Post
    you can search on lenovo forum.
    you just need to download a program from lenovo
    and turn on the GPS. WWAN is not needed.
    Thanks. I've been to their forum before and read the thread that says that you just have to install the GPS Enabler 2.0.0.1. I've actually got an even newer version (2.11) so this shouldn't be the problem.

    How do I "turn on" the GPS? I haven't found a hardware button. Does it have to be turned on somewhere in the Control Panel or the like? Maybe you refer to the button "Start real-time tracking" in GPS Enabler: When I click that button, I'm prompted to enter the PIN for the WWAN connection (which I don't have). Is there a way to find out whether GPS is switched on even if no satellites can be detected at the moment?

  4. #4
    Pen Pal - Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: X200t: How do i use GPS without WWAN?

    One possibility to consider is the the "GPS" really uses triangulation of the WWAN signals to determine position. I think that's the way Apple does it. Therefore, no WWAN, no GPS. All the Lenovo documents I have seen says service required...

  5. #5
    Scribbler - Standard Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    44
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: X200t: How do i use GPS without WWAN?

    Apple is A-GPS.

    I remember I saw a post in lenovo forum that some got the GPS to work without WWAN service.

    Quote Originally Posted by CG-eng View Post
    One possibility to consider is the the "GPS" really uses triangulation of the WWAN signals to determine position. I think that's the way Apple does it. Therefore, no WWAN, no GPS. All the Lenovo documents I have seen says service required...

  6. #6
    Pen Pro - Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    321
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: X200t: How do i use GPS without WWAN?

    I am still looking for clarification on this as well.

    I have not been able to get on my x200 Tablet (GSM/AT&T), I do not have a WWAN plan.

    The reviews that implied it worked without a plan (e.g. the x300 review) also seemed to have Verizon WWAN cards. These do not use a SIM verification system and may allow GPS without a plan whereas the AT&T may not.

    Any help on a definite conclusion would be appreciated. I have already tried multiple versions of the GPS enabler software and used both Vista and XP without luck.

  7. #7
    Pen Pal - Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    26
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: X200t: How do i use GPS without WWAN?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonlumpkin View Post
    I am still looking for clarification on this as well.

    I have not been able to get on my x200 Tablet (GSM/AT&T), I do not have a WWAN plan.

    The reviews that implied it worked without a plan (e.g. the x300 review) also seemed to have Verizon WWAN cards. These do not use a SIM verification system and may allow GPS without a plan whereas the AT&T may not.

    Any help on a definite conclusion would be appreciated. I have already tried multiple versions of the GPS enabler software and used both Vista and XP without luck.
    Well, I can confirm that the GPS works fine on my X200T with the Ericsson card and GPS Enabler 2.01. The only catch I found was that you have to power up the WWAN card before opening the GPS program. Other than that, everything's been straight-forward.

  8. #8
    Pen Pal - Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    24
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: X200t: How do i use GPS without WWAN?

    Quote Originally Posted by ratdoc View Post
    Well, I can confirm that the GPS works fine on my X200T with the Ericsson card and GPS Enabler 2.01. The only catch I found was that you have to power up the WWAN card before opening the GPS program. Other than that, everything's been straight-forward.
    And you don't have to enter a PIN or anything? Mine's still not working.

    Can anybody recommend a (freeware) program other than the GPS Enabler to test the GPS functionality?

  9. #9
    Pen Pro - Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    321
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: X200t: How do i use GPS without WWAN?

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3234 View Post
    And you don't have to enter a PIN or anything? Mine's still not working.

    Can anybody recommend a (freeware) program other than the GPS Enabler to test the GPS functionality?
    MS Streets and Tips has a free 60 day trial. You can use this to test GPS functionality. Note, this is a huge (1GB+) download.

  10. #10
    Scribbler - Standard Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    73
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: X200t: How do i use GPS without WWAN?

    Everyone,

    You don't have to have service to use the GPS. All you need to do is install the Lenovo program or driver which ever it is. Also, mine uses COM6 (look under 'PORTS' in Device manager)so you will need to install the drivers for that as well.

    At this point you should be able to run the Thinkvantage GPS enabler and after a few minutes you should see the green sat. bars and your coordinates displayed.

    One final thing is to press the fn & f5 key and you will see that the WAN signal is live.

    IMHO it is not worth caring about since you still have to turn it off to access the google maps/earth to plot it. So its no TOMTOM
    Intel Core 2 Duo SL9400 (1.86GHz, 6MB L2, 1066MHz)
    32bit Vista Business
    12.1" WideView MultiTouch
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD
    3 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1067MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)
    160GB HDD, 7200rpm
    Integrated Bluetooth PAN
    Intel WiFi Link 5300 (AGN)
    Integrated AT&T Mobile Broadband (3G)
    ThinkPad X200 Tablet 4 Cell Li-Ion Battery

 

 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:35 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1