Windows 8 Drivers - Page 8

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    HP tm2t-1000

Default Re: Windows 8 Release Preview Drivers and Fixes

Quote Originally Posted by SDreamer View Post
    Thought I'd make a new reply so people may see this.

There's a new Synaptics driver out: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp58001-58500/sp58400.exe

From what I have tested, it adds BETTER Windows 8 support. This one adds the trackpad edge swipes (only on right and top from what I can tell), landscape scrolling on the Start Screen, and a lot smoother scrolling (had to tweak the speed and such to get it the way I wanted it though). Zoom is still the same standard clunky and choppy zooming, and not what Windows 8 is capable of (that smooth zoom we're so used to from our smartphones). So in essence you get the Charms menu with a quick swipe from the right edge of the track pad and the context menu from a quick swipe from the top edge (no more need to move the mouse to hot corners or right click in an open area using the trackpad!).
    Thanks. I tried it out, and while the scrolling is nice (although I'm not sure if it's actually improved over the version I had before), the charms swipe is very finicky and not reliable at all. Most of the time it begins to move the cursor instead. I had much better luck with the top swipe, however.

Anyways, has anyone found a working Windows fingerprint logon software? I know I had gotten it working on either the Consumer Preview or Release Preview, but I'm running the RTM now and am unsure what I had used. First I tried the HP SimplePass on HP's website, but that doesn't work right on the logon screen; the fingerprint user icon just flickers when scanning without giving any feedback. Second, the DigitalPersona Windows 7 WBF software linked here doesn't even run after being installed. Third, I have installed an older copy of the DigitalPersona Personal but on the logon screen it just throws a "Your fingerprint was not verified" when I successfully scan my finger if I am not already logged in, or "You cannot unlock the computer" error when I lock Windows.
    Last edited by Arizone; 09-19-2012 at 04:24 AM.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arizone
    Thanks. I tried it out, and while the scrolling is nice (although I'm not sure if it's actually improved over the version I had before), the charms swipe is very finicky and not reliable at all. Most of the time it begins to move the cursor instead. I had much better luck with the top swipe, however.

Anyways, has anyone found a working Windows fingerprint logon software? I know I had gotten it working on either the Consumer Preview or Release Preview, but I'm running the RTM now and am unsure what I had used. First I tried the HP SimplePass on HP's website, but that doesn't work right on the logon screen; the fingerprint user icon just flickers when scanning without giving any feedback. Second, the DigitalPersona Windows 7 WBF software linked here doesn't even run after being installed. Third, I have installed an older copy of the DigitalPersona Personal but on the logon screen it just throws a "Your fingerprint was not verified" when I successfully scan my finger if I am not already logged in, or "You cannot unlock the computer" error when I lock Windows.
    Regarding the touchpad driver, it is a little, but after some practice you'll get it. I was having that trouble as well when I first gave it a try, but I can activate it 95% on command. Another trick I found is if you edge swipe right and hold you can scroll through the command list, and it will activate whatever is highlighted. This again will probably take practice to do. Another added features I found is a double tap gesture not listed in the settings; this activates right clicking as well.

As for fingerprint login try the following:
    Quote Originally Posted by chootmarani
    Good news for you guys!!!
    Now you can install latest validity WBF driver for your validity Fingerprint reader from here: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp56001-56500/sp56403.exe

I've tested on my dm4-1210tx VFS301 (Pid=0005) fingerprint reader. It works perfectly and works even better. As it supports WBF you can now see your device on control panel->biometric devices and can install other WBF supported software.

Even better you don't have to use Egistec or Digital persona fingerprint software. Download Authentec HPSimplepass 5.4.0.620 latest version from here: Download Manager

It supports all latest browser version (even Firefox 13). I've checked everything and it works just fine.

Uninstall your previous driver and install latest WBF driver. You might extarct the file and show .inf file from device manager if it doesn't install the driver automatically. So enjoy new fingerprint experience
    Some notes
    • You will have to manually install the fingerprint driver through the device manager (first extract the driver (I use Winrar, or run the installer and find the corresponding SP folder on your C: drive, device manager>right click unknown device > update drivers > have disk > select the inf file in WBF 301 folder. Also you need to install the WBFSDK (also in the driver package)
    • To enroll fingerprints use the provided Authentic package. One caveat with this is that it seems to disable power management causing usb devices to not sleep. Workaround is to just uninstall it after you enroll your fingerprints (leaving your data on there). This allows you to at least log into Windows (from lock screen), but you'll lose browser functionality (it only works on desktop browsers anyways if you kept it installed).

Source: [Drivers] HP dm4-1XXX / dv5-2XXX / G32 / CQ32 / ENVY 14-1XXX (INTEL) - Page 39

Hope that helps.
    Microsoft Surface Pro 128

Pen Pro - Senior Member

For those with switchable graphics, not sure if you guys had tried this or maybe just find this helpful
    Solved Win 8 AMD Switchable Graphics FAQ: (by Intel/AMD 3000 + 6770M owner)

HP tm2t-1000

Regarding the touchpad driver, it is a little, but after some practice you'll get it. I was having that trouble as well when I first gave it a try, but I can activate it 95% on command. Another trick I found is if you edge swipe right and hold you can scroll through the command list, and it will activate whatever is highlighted. This again will probably take practice to do. Another added features I found is a double tap gesture not listed in the settings; this activates right clicking as well.

As for fingerprint login try the following:

Some notes
    • You will have to manually install the fingerprint driver through the device manager (first extract the driver (I use Winrar, or run the installer and find the corresponding SP folder on your C: drive, device manager>right click unknown device > update drivers > have disk > select the inf file in WBF 301 folder. Also you need to install the WBFSDK (also in the driver package)
    • To enroll fingerprints use the provided Authentic package. One caveat with this is that it seems to disable power management causing usb devices to not sleep. Workaround is to just uninstall it after you enroll your fingerprints (leaving your data on there). This allows you to at least log into Windows (from lock screen), but you'll lose browser functionality (it only works on desktop browsers anyways if you kept it installed).

Source: [Drivers] HP dm4-1XXX / dv5-2XXX / G32 / CQ32 / ENVY 14-1XXX (INTEL) - Page 39

Hope that helps.
    Thank you for the response.

After much practice, side swiping on the touch pad is still not reliable while the top swipe is flawless. I'm not sure if this is caused by a slightly raised edge, or something else. I've tried it throughout the length of the touchpad's side, and have yet to find any sweet spot. The scrolling will definitely be helpful though when it does work. Also, by "double tap", do you mean the two-finger tap? The Synaptics website shows a number of gestures for Windows 8, and the only ones I haven't seen work are the left swipe (app switching), two finger rotation, and a four finger flick.

Unfortunately I am still unable to get the fingerprint reader software to work. I uninstalled anything I had previously, and installed the new driver, the WBF DDK, and the AuthenTec HP SimplePass software (both the suggested 5.4.0.620 and the latest 6.0.100.252 Windows 8 version). Each time the software fails to enroll fingerprints and simply spits out "It looks like you're having some trouble. Do you want to try again?" even if it appears to successfully scan my finger three times, filling in the progress bar for enrollment. I checked the thread you referenced and they mentioned using a local password (?), so tried switching a local account, rather than my Microsoft account, to no avail either.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arizone View Post
    Thank you for the response.

After much practice, side swiping on the touch pad is still not reliable while the top swipe is flawless. I'm not sure if this is caused by a slightly raised edge, or something else. I've tried it throughout the length of the touchpad's side, and have yet to find any sweet spot. The scrolling will definitely be helpful though when it does work. Also, by "double tap", do you mean the two-finger tap? The Synaptics website shows a number of gestures for Windows 8, and the only ones I haven't seen work are the left swipe (app switching), two finger rotation, and a four finger flick.

Unfortunately I am still unable to get the fingerprint reader software to work. I uninstalled anything I had previously, and installed the new driver, the WBF DDK, and the AuthenTec HP SimplePass software (both the suggested 5.4.0.620 and the latest 6.0.100.252 Windows 8 version). Each time the software fails to enroll fingerprints and simply spits out "It looks like you're having some trouble. Do you want to try again?" even if it appears to successfully scan my finger three times, filling in the progress bar for enrollment. I checked the thread you referenced and they mentioned using a local password (?), so tried switching a local account, rather than my Microsoft account, to no avail either.
    Regarding the gestures, I just realize that Synaptics did put them up, so I'm guessing you're referring to this: Windows 8 | Synaptics
    The top swipe I can do 100% of the time, the right is still like 95% of the time for me. For me what works is more of a swipe+hold. I will swipe from the right edge and leave the finger touching the pad still, this lets me scroll up and down the charms, and pulling off will in turn select what is highlighted. If I do a swipe+short hold it just pops up. If I swipe quickly like you may be accustomed to with the touch screen, it doesn't seem to register lots of the times. Also, it seems to work better if you have more of your finger touching the touchpad, so maybe try pressing a little harder (not hard enough to depress the touchpad though), that might work better.
    By "double tap" I mean two finger tap. The two finger tap on the touchpad registers a right click for me. I haven't been able to do a 4-finger swipe/press though, but the 3-finger swipe works for me as it did in Windows 7.
    Hopefully we get another update that will further enable more gestures and make them a bit easier to activate.

As for the fingerprint reader, I'm not sure what the problem may be for you, because it seems that the software is registering that you have a fingerprint reader, and it does realize you are swiping your finger. The only error I ran into was that Authentec didn't register my fingerprint reader because I didn't install the DDK. Which generation TM2 do you have, maybe that might be a problem if you have a gen1 tm2. Unlikely I would think though.
    In regards to the password, it actually work with either a local or Microsoft account. These last couple times I reformatted I had it set up with my Microsoft account, I just never got around to rewording my post there.

EDIT: I just actually performed a left edge swipe and seems to only flip through open ModernUI apps. It is really difficult for me to perform because the left side of my trackpad is somewhat uneven with the casing.... good to know it's in there as well though. Probably the same reason you have trouble with right edge swipes, my right edge is flush whereas the left edge is not.
    Last edited by SDreamer; 10-11-2012 at 08:51 AM.

HP tm2t-1000

Regarding the gestures, I just realize that Synaptics did put them up, so I'm guessing you're referring to this: Windows 8 | Synaptics
    The top swipe I can do 100% of the time, the right is still like 95% of the time for me. For me what works is more of a swipe+hold. I will swipe from the right edge and leave the finger touching the pad still, this lets me scroll up and down the charms, and pulling off will in turn select what is highlighted. If I do a swipe+short hold it just pops up. If I swipe quickly like you may be accustomed to with the touch screen, it doesn't seem to register lots of the times. Also, it seems to work better if you have more of your finger touching the touchpad, so maybe try pressing a little harder (not hard enough to depress the touchpad though), that might work better.
    By "double tap" I mean two finger tap. The two finger tap on the touchpad registers a right click for me. I haven't been able to do a 4-finger swipe/press though, but the 3-finger swipe works for me as it did in Windows 7.
    Hopefully we get another update that will further enable more gestures and make them a bit easier to activate.

As for the fingerprint reader, I'm not sure what the problem may be for you, because it seems that the software is registering that you have a fingerprint reader, and it does realize you are swiping your finger. The only error I ran into was that Authentec didn't register my fingerprint reader because I didn't install the DDK. Which generation TM2 do you have, maybe that might be a problem if you have a gen1 tm2. Unlikely I would think though.
    In regards to the password, it actually work with either a local or Microsoft account. These last couple times I reformatted I had it set up with my Microsoft account, I just never got around to rewording my post there.

EDIT: I just actually performed a left edge swipe and seems to only flip through open ModernUI apps. It is really difficult for me to perform because the left side of my trackpad is somewhat uneven with the casing.... good to know it's in there as well though. Probably the same reason you have trouble with right edge swipes, my right edge is flush whereas the left edge is not.
    Yeah, right swiping isn't really reliable no matter how I try it. I specifically tried using the left swipe with metro apps open, but it never registered no matter how many times I've tried.

Also yes I have a first gen tm2, but it's a bit strange if they all use the same fingerprint reader model wired to the USB hub. There's a few results on Google for the error.
    HP SimplePass keeps telling me I'm having trouble on HP m6 N... - HP Support Forum
    The sensor is not likely dirty enough to cause problems as it seems to scan fine, nor is it a driver mismatch. When I happened to test the Windows 8 default driver the program did fail on the first swipe instead. The user mentioned eventually getting it to work at least once, which brings me to question whether or not the program is being incredibly stubborn.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arizone View Post
    Yeah, right swiping isn't really reliable no matter how I try it. I specifically tried using the left swipe with metro apps open, but it never registered no matter how many times I've tried.

Also yes I have a first gen tm2, but it's a bit strange if they all use the same fingerprint reader model wired to the USB hub. There's a few results on Google for the error.
    HP SimplePass keeps telling me I'm having trouble on HP m6 N... - HP Support Forum
    The sensor is not likely dirty enough to cause problems as it seems to scan fine, nor is it a driver mismatch. When I happened to test the Windows 8 default driver the program did fail on the first swipe instead. The user mentioned eventually getting it to work at least once, which brings me to question whether or not the program is being incredibly stubborn.
    Yeah, that left swipe gesture is just being stubborn for me now too. I'm guessing Synaptics needs to update the gesture suit and allow a bigger area of detections to make these things a bit more reliable, kinda how early buttonless drivers were...

I'd wait for another update for the software, it probably is just being stubborn at this point. I don't like the software in general, as it does tend to keep USB from suspending, and it just feels clunky in general. Seeing how Windows 8 isn't even available for the consumer, I'd say we'd hopefully get more updates.

HP tm2t-1000

Yeah, that left swipe gesture is just being stubborn for me now too. I'm guessing Synaptics needs to update the gesture suit and allow a bigger area of detections to make these things a bit more reliable, kinda how early buttonless drivers were...

I'd wait for another update for the software, it probably is just being stubborn at this point. I don't like the software in general, as it does tend to keep USB from suspending, and it just feels clunky in general. Seeing how Windows 8 isn't even available for the consumer, I'd say we'd hopefully get more updates.
    I'm wondering more about the driver, since it's from January, while they just released the updated software. It there a more proper software version to be using this driver?
    Looking through some more information here:
    HP Simple Pass 2011 problem - HP Support Forum
    But of course nothing works. I only need it to log onto Windows too.

Edit (10/13/2012):
    So I was digging around, apparently Fujistu has been releasing newer Wacom drivers for their Lifebook T902, the current one being version 7.1.0-3. I installed it and everything appears to work fine, and I don't have a tiny virtual keyboard either.
    Last edited by Arizone; 10-13-2012 at 05:26 AM.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone had success with the Leshcat drivers for Windows 8 RTM? I got it to install successfully once, but I was plagued with forced restarts almost every time I brought my TM2t out of hibernate. I reformatted and tried again, and have had no success. The latest Leshcat drivers say they are compatible with Windows 8, so I'm not sure if I'm supposed to use compatibility mode or not, although I'm pretty sure I tried both. It seems to me that Windows 8 keeps re installing the stock drivers after using driver fusion to clean them. I try to uninstall them through device manager but am never given the option to delete the driver software, so they keep getting reinstalled.

Is there any other method to get working graphics drivers? The old AMD release preview drivers seemed to work a lot better, and having just the stock Windows 8 drivers seems to make the laptop unstable.

BTW, I am using a tm2t with the i5 and AMD5450 card.

Pen Pal - Newbie

I installed Leshcat's Catalyst 12.9 Sep4 UnifL which includes a GEN 1 experiment Intel driver for Windows 8. This package works very except for two issues I've noticed.

1) When trying to switch from Intel to AMD using the Intel tray icon, an error comes up.
    2) When waking up from sleep while on AMD graphics, only a black screen comes up. So make sure you are on the Intel before going into sleep.

Other than that, everything works fine.

Thread Information