Android 3.0 on touchsmart

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Question Android 3.0 on touchsmart

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if you've heard of anyone putting Android OS as one of their boot options on HP touchsmart? Considering that the Android 3.0 is specifically designed for tablets, do you think it is possible to put a fully usable version of Honeycomb on HP touchsmart tm2? Maybe you know if anyone is already working on it?

Scribbler - Standard Member

Default Re: Android 3.0 on touchsmart

Anyone got android x86 working?

Not on a tm2 though, but it should work on every Tablet PC

Pen Pal - Newbie

Well the problem with this is that it's an emulator, not Android actually running as the main operating system. Is it possible at all though?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

There is no android for x86 processor (anything more serious than your iphone), other than a lonely project google can find you in no time. The biggest issue is not the fact, that phones and so called tablets are using a whole different architecture of processors, but the fact, that there are no drivers...

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by wakeupneo View Post
    There is no android for x86 processor (anything more serious than your iphone), other than a lonely project google can find you in no time. The biggest issue is not the fact, that phones and so called tablets are using a whole different architecture of processors, but the fact, that there are no drivers...
    I think that might change with 3.0.

There was no reason to run previous versions on x86 tablets. 3.0, however, is designed for tablets. And with the amount of tablets being launched this year, a port is almost inevitable.

I think we should support any project that comes around to port it to x86, or even start our own. It's not impossible, just difficult.

Just imagine having all those dedicated tablet apps and games on a Tm2 :drools:
    Tm2-2050ep (Core i3)

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Seketh View Post
    I think that might change with 3.0.

There was no reason to run previous versions on x86 tablets. 3.0, however, is designed for tablets. And with the amount of tablets being launched this year, a port is almost inevitable.

I think we should support any project that comes around to port it to x86, or even start our own. It's not impossible, just difficult.

The porting to x86 will happen sometime, hopefully with Intel's full support, but it will still take a community to make things work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seketh View Post
    I have the internet already, I don't need it repackaged into apps (paid or free).

We (the tech community as a whole) spent a long time porting native apps over to be web apps and now apple and google want to repackage those back up into native apps (that you pay for of course, and they happen to take a cut). If you have a fully functional modern browser available to you there is no reason to need "apps" or an "app store".

My 2 cents, anyway

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Personaly I dont have a need for android 3 on my tm2. The tm2 is a powerfull laptop combined with tablet features. The stront point of the tm2 is the fact that it can run a full desktop os with ease. I dont see the point of android on my tm2.

I would definately try it, just because i can, but not because i would really run it.

Maybe as an instant on system which uses very very low battery, that would be something. But still, windows 7 goes out of sleep instantly too so ...

Quote Originally Posted by Thom4s View Post
    Maybe as an instant on system which uses very very low battery, that would be something. But still, windows 7 goes out of sleep instantly too so ...
    and the TM2 also has that quick-boot O/S as well!

Pen Pal - Newbie

If anyone could get android on here, we could get Android & Windows Phone: Tablets, Apps, & ROMs @ xda-developers to put us in their forums, and this thing would explode, there would be so many new mods, everyone would know about our device. so many great things would happen.

Thread Information