802.11b/g/n WLAN or Intel Wireless-N?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Default 802.11b/g/n WLAN or Intel Wireless-N?

I'm confused while choosing between them while ordering. In either case I'll take /w bluetooth.

What I understand so far is that "802.11b/g/n WLAN" means a generic wireless NIC will be provided whereas "Intel Wireless-N" means Intel branded wireless NIC will be provided. In both cases, it will support upto wireless N aka 802.11n. The Intel NIC is 'perceived' to be of better quality.

It would be very helpful if someone could confirm whether the above understanding is correct. Also,

1) which one would you recommend (given Intel one costs $25 and I'm low on cash)?
    2) Any idea which brand of NIC I will get if I choose the generic one?
    3) What are the 'observed' practical differences between these two options?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: 802.11b/g/n WLAN or Intel Wireless-N?

Quote Originally Posted by minhaz View Post
    I'm confused while choosing between them while ordering. In either case I'll take /w bluetooth.

What I understand so far is that "802.11b/g/n WLAN" means a generic wireless NIC will be provided whereas "Intel Wireless-N" means Intel branded wireless NIC will be provided. In both cases, it will support upto wireless N aka 802.11n. The Intel NIC is 'perceived' to be of better quality.

It would be very helpful if someone could confirm whether the above understanding is correct. Also,

1) which one would you recommend (given Intel one costs $25 and I'm low on cash)?
    I don't have mine yet, will have it on Tuesday, but the generic I believe is of Broadcom variant. I think the difference might lie in signal range and battery life, but I doubt it will be a huge difference.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by minhaz View Post

From what I remember about reading of other people's Generation 1 & 2 Tm2's is that if you go the cheepo route then your wi-fi will perform very poorly (it'll drop connection, not see connections it should be able to see, be interrupted very easily by things [hands, microwaves, that sort of thing])

Just buy the Intel (more expensive) one, it'll save you a lot of headaches and annoyances. And remember this is a nearly $1000 Tablet (at least it probably was before coupons and such) so $25 is not that much (it'd be nice to save that, but the price of the other parts keep falling. so I think it offsets well)
    Current: HP 2730p Win 7 & Linux Mint | Toshiba M4 | Motion M1400 renice 120GB SSD | ITRONIX IX-325 | Motion F5 (U7500 update) | Fujitsu P1620 | T4220 w/SXGA+ 160GB Intel X18-M & 1TB HDD in bay | broken TC4400 [for experimentation] | i5 3570K mITX desktop w/GTX460 | ASUS N10j
    Gone but not Forgotten: HP Tm2 | HP Slate 500 | HP touchpad 32GB | 6-core desktop

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I bought my TM2 with the low-end wireless option, Intel 1000 BGN or something like that. I don't like it. I recently bought the Broadcom wireless adapter to replace it, now it is much faster. So I recommend not going cheap on the wireless card as well.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by darthhen View Post
    I bought my TM2 with the low-end wireless option, Intel 1000 BGN or something like that. I don't like it. I recently bought the Broadcom wireless adapter to replace it, now it is much faster. So I recommend not going cheap on the wireless card as well.
    I'm pretty sure the Intel one (which is the one I got) was the "better" one; and the Broadcom one is the cheap one. I got my Tm2 back in July. Maybe you just had a bad wireless card?
    Current: HP 2730p Win 7 & Linux Mint | Toshiba M4 | Motion M1400 renice 120GB SSD | ITRONIX IX-325 | Motion F5 (U7500 update) | Fujitsu P1620 | T4220 w/SXGA+ 160GB Intel X18-M & 1TB HDD in bay | broken TC4400 [for experimentation] | i5 3570K mITX desktop w/GTX460 | ASUS N10j
    Gone but not Forgotten: HP Tm2 | HP Slate 500 | HP touchpad 32GB | 6-core desktop

Scribbler - Standard Member

the intel one is the more advanced one, it based of the Intel centrino design and allows for better reception and battery life then the broadcom one supposedly.

I have the broadcom one so far no complaints detects every thing and hasn't dropped a signal at all. only draw back is that the WiFi and Bluetooth is on the same adapter and cant be disabled with out disabling both cards but you know I like wasting battery life :P

Pen Pal - Newbie

I bought my TM2 about 2 weeks ago with the low-end wireless and bluetooth option. It comes with a combo card: ralink RT3090 ; Motorola Bluetooth 3.0 ( you cannot turn one of them off individually). So if you want bluetooth 3.0 , go for the low-end wireless and bluetooth option. I think even if you choose the Intel wireless card, it'll only be the cheapo-intel 1000 wireless card because tm2 only has 2 wireless antenna).

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I think that thread with people having wifi troubles were mostly using the Intel 1000, but that was mostly first gen tm2s I think. Was a bit scary, but it doesn't seem to be a problem since then.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 9 View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Intel one (which is the one I got) was the "better" one; and the Broadcom one is the cheap one. I got my Tm2 back in July. Maybe you just had a bad wireless card?
    Maybe I did get a bad wireless card, you never know. The Intel Wireless-N 1000 card's product brief is here from Intel's site: http://download.intel.com/network/co...000/323015.pdf. Only supports up to 2.4 GHz, Wi-Fi's org's certification: http://certifications.wi-fi.org/pdf_...p?cid=WFA10446.

The Broadcom card I got is the BCM943224 one. the Wi-Fi org's certification is here: http://certifications.wi-fi.org/pdf_...hp?cid=WFA7313. This one supports up to 5.0 GHz.

I took a pictures of the two cards side-by-side, front and back before I installed it. See pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for all the replies!

But now I'm more confused and have more questions!

1) It seems if I take the bluetooth option for either generic or Intel, I won't be able to shutoff bluetooth without shutting down wifi. This leads to battery drain. Does anyone have any idea on the extent of the battery drain due to only bluetooth? (ie. lets say it says alive for 6hrs with wifi+bluetooth whereas 6hr 30mins with a tablet that has only wifi). If the battery drain is high then I would prefer buying only wifi NIC and a separate bluetooth dongle in case I ever need it.
    (#1 Solved. Thanks wakeupneo)

2) Lots of debate about whether the Intel card is better or not. Where HP is charging $25 "premium" over the generic card for the Intel one, the Intel Wifi Link 1000 PCI Express Half Mini card is available for about $15~20 (source: Google Products). So, I was thinking that I could go for the generic card and if it's performance is not acceptable, I can just buy the Intel card afterwards and swap it. Any idea about how difficult it will be to switch the wifi NIC? Will that void my warranty for the tablet? Do you think it is a good idea?

3) Even if my NIC supports 5.0Ghz, will I be able to use it? (due to 2 wireless antenna)
    (#3 Solved at 5Ghz Wirelesss N Capability)
    Last edited by minhaz; 12-06-2010 at 03:39 PM.

Thread Information