How to reset the tablet?

+ Reply to Thread
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Default How to reset the tablet?

I bought the TM2T a few months ago for work, but never really used it. Now I'm thinking of selling it. But I'm concerned about any personal info on the hd and I've never sold a notebook before. Do I need to completely reformat the hard drive and then use the recovery discs that came with the TM2T? Or is there any other special instructions/information I should know?

Thanks for any help!

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: How to reset the tablet?

If you are concerned about personal data the only way to be sure it is gone is to "zero the drive" a process that can take hours (but it is the only way to format a drive and get rid of data on it; it literally writes the disc to all zeroes again) because a standard "format" of the drive will only do the same as deleting a file (it leaves the disc with the written data on it, but says that it can be written over; forensic scientists and computer wiz's can "recover" the data, though it isn't a easy process)

otherwise the only 100% sure fire way to make sure there is no personal data on there is to buy a new hard drive (probably about $50-70) then you just install windows 7 and the drivers (maybe an hour max) You can even include this in the description when you go to sell it, say it is a better and new hdd.

But why sell your Tm2 now? it's almost Christmas so why not give it as a super awesome gift to a niece/ nephew, brother/ sister/ mother in law; because if you give some super cool gift then you look awesome and they will try to make it up to you (this may not work for you, but it can be worth considering)

PS: if you don't mind my asking: if you never really used it what personal data on there are you worrying about?
    Current: HP 2730p Win 7 & Linux Mint | Toshiba M4 | Motion M1400 renice 120GB SSD | ITRONIX IX-325 | Motion F5 (U7500 update) | Fujitsu P1620 | T4220 w/SXGA+ 160GB Intel X18-M & 1TB HDD in bay | broken TC4400 [for experimentation] | i5 3570K mITX desktop w/GTX460 | ASUS N10j
    Gone but not Forgotten: HP Tm2 | HP Slate 500 | HP touchpad 32GB | 6-core desktop

Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for your reply. I bought the tablet thinking it would be useful for my work (which is in web design/graphics), but it has basically sat on my desk rarely being used. Immediately after I bought it, our office upgraded the pcs. So, I have been using them most of the time. I already have two computers at home too. So, I've only used the TM2T for some Internet/Mail, Word and once watched a movie on it. I'm not sure there really is any sensitive info other than name/address and some passwords to sites. It just occurred to me that I should probably reformat or reset the pc prior to selling.

As for giving the pc away...I don't really have any family or friends that need/want this machine. It's virtually new, so I figure I should sell it rather than let it collect dust. I like this pc, but I can't justify keeping it if I don't use it.

BTW - would installing a new hard drive void the warranty? It still has 7 months on it, so I don't want to jeopardize that.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Here's what I'd do - Run the full system restore from the boot up screen or use your restore DVD's to get it back to full clean.

Then download and save this to C:\ and run this from the command line SDelete
    like so -

c:\sdelete.exe -z

Pen Pal - Newbie

You can put the boot and nuke software on a usb stick and use it to zero out the drive as mentioned above. Then just reinstall from your recovery discs.

Pen Pal - Newbie

After playing around with the tablet today I'm having second thoughts against selling. It really is a solid machine and I like it. I'll just have to find some excuses to use it more frequently. In any case, I do appreciate the tips on the hard drive issue.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Just for future reference, probably the easiest non-techy way of doing it is to re-install windows and then run a program like Eraser which zeros out the free space on the drive. That way any data has been over-written at least once.

Scribbler - Standard Member

If i don´t remember wrong you have to write it over 7-8 times before you can be anywhere near "safe". If you´re a bit paranaoid about it, just swap the drive and copy the backup section.
    HP Touchsmart tm2-2010eg
    Intel Core i5-430UM
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5450

Thread Information